Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

insurance disc

Options
  • 07-02-2005 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭

Quick question:
    If I arrange insurance over the phone (with quinn direct, by the way), is it legal for me to drive around without the insurance disc until it arrives in the post?

Cheers

Stephen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Do you have 7-day cover, were the benefits explained when you purchased the insurance.

Quinn direct policy is flimpsy tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Stephen wrote:
    Quick question:
    If I arrange insurance over the phone (with quinn direct, by the way), is it legal for me to drive around without the insurance disc until it arrives in the post?

Cheers

Stephen
    Yep once you have the policy number to quote them....you should be fine....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I think you are given a day or two to bring the proof to the cop station if caught.
    Although, I don't know what the current state of penalty points is regarding displaying the disc :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Baz: haven't purchased the insurance yet, just have a quote. Woman on the phone mentioned giving me 10 days to pay up during which i'd be insured.

I was just wondering how the gardai see it, if i was to be pulled with no insurance disc.

cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Stephen wrote:
    Baz: haven't purchased the insurance yet, just have a quote. Woman on the phone mentioned giving me 10 days to pay up during which i'd be insured.

I was just wondering how the gardai see it, if i was to be pulled with no insurance disc.

cheers.
    I drove around 4 a while without my insurance disc....my policy was with Hibernian, they asked me to send them a scan of a cheque for the amount of the policy and once I had emailed that off to them (along with a scanned image of my driving licence, and signed policy), I was covered

AFAIK you have 10days to produce ur insurance details to your local garda station

• Advertisement

Rang quinn there, they confirmed that i can drive about once I quote my policy number if pulled by the gardai, and probably then show up with the insurance disc in my local garda station within 10 days.

nice one!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Stephen wrote:
    Rang quinn there, they confirmed that i can drive about once I quote my policy number if pulled by the gardai, and probably then show up with the insurance disc in my local garda station within 10 days.

nice one!

Afraid you've been misinformed! Regardless of whether you have cover or not, it is illegal not to display an insurance disc (or tax disc) and you can be fined for not doing so. The 'technical' thing to do is wait till you get your disc before driving. However, a guard is HIGHLY unlikely to charge you if you are able to give them a valid policy number. The main thing to watch out for is when your car is parked, i.e. you're not there to tell the Gurad the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Stephen, you're not giving up the bike are you?!

Yep, now that car insurance is affordable (relatively). Not being able to filter through traffic any more isn't a great concern, since I live in the sticks anyway. Got sick of the weather on the bike to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I drove while I was still waiting for my insurance disc, but I put a little note in the window saying I was waiting on the disc, with the policy number on it, for situations like Padraig mentioned (parked).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

OT but I often wondered why a rectangular piece of paper is called a disc !

Seven Worlds will Collide

Probably copying the name from the tax disc which is actually circular... I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Heh, I got stopped at a checkpoint once (Back in the car), Garda takes a look at the insurance disc, "Your insurance is expired" (by 6 days), "Are you insured?"

"Yep" I replied.
    "On you go", he said.

The Gardai don't care that much. Especially if the car is parked. It's not illegal to have a vehicle uninsured in a public place, only to drive it uninsured.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Cosworth

Padraig mor is correct.

Legally you are not suppose to drive but everyone in the country does it.
    What about all the brand new cars driving around with nothing in the screen,once you are actually insured i wouldn't worry about it.

Gary

Advertisement