Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Want to buy an alfa 156 advice appreciated

Options
  • 07-02-2005 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭

I want to buy a 156 in the near future, for the money imo there isnt a nicer car, will prolly go for the 1.6 for insurance reasons,

im aware reliability isnt a strong point, could someone give me some feedback on how they have found the 156? and what major services there etc??

any help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

Hmm.. let me see,
    bought one about 2 yrs ago. (1.8, 1998)
    ripped the aluminium sump out on a country road within about a week (EU400)
    had the get he heating controls fixed (twice)
    timing belt done at 50K (EU300)
    service interval is about 8K, set of plugs is about EU100
    electrics are not the best.. i.e. keeps blowing bulbs etc
    both front suspension bushings went
    eats front brake pads for fun (along with tyres)
    variator went (EU300)

despite all, has never broken down (even once) will have to give it that.

definatly a high maintanance car. Find yourself a good trustworthy mechanic.

Considering the money i paid for it, all the repairs + cost = about new almera

apart from all that is an excellent car, at least it is not a polo.

never driven the 1.6, wonder is there much of an insurnace difference between 1.6 & 1.8? (or the 2.0 :D )

all above are my very subjective opinions

overall very happy with the car. do not think there is a better looking one out there at the moment, at the end of the day most of the cars are pretty similar, the main difference is how they look, and make you feel...

just waiting for everyone to disagree with me.

check out www.alfa165.net

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

My wife considered getting one in 2001 (company car). But after researching she found that 2 of the 3 fleet companies had removed it from the list and one of the three in the car park was giving so much trouble that the guy threatened to leave his job unless he got something else. (I guess he was serious)

I had the good fortune to drive a 2.0 back in '00. At the time I drove a Mitsubishi FTO, so was used to excellent handling. The Alfa surprised me. It's handling was superb.

Good luck.

Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Check out the forum at www.carmechanicsmag.co.uk - they had a big discussion about the 156 not so long ago.......listing all it's good and bad point AND a lot of the info is directly from dealers.

It's a nice looking car and supposed to handle great. I would be tempted but would baulk at going ahead after all I have read about them. Just sounds like too much hassle !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

i mentioned in this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=220528 that i was thinking of buying a 99 afla 146. Most people are saying to stear clear but i reckon if the car is a nice drive and i can get a few extra's out of the dealer i'll probably risk it. As ye said yerself, for the money there isnt a nicer car.

though if you are going to get a 01+ one ye probably wont have half the amount telling ye to steer clear

heres a good alfa owner's bb community i found:
    http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

I was going to buy one, was looking at a 2001 model for €8,000 - mate of mine is a mechanic and he told me to stay well clear of them - they're far too expensive to get stuff done on them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement