Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Comic Artist?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭FreaK_BrutheR

Bisley - needs no qualification
    Adrian Smith - Warhammer artist
    Ian Gibson - Halo Jones
    Frank Miller - needs no qualification
    Alan Davis - Dr and Quinch
    Bill Sienkiewicz - Stray Toasters

By the way I hear Stray Toasters is being made into a movie - now thats gonna be a flooked up show!!!!

I cant think of names of hand but I couldnt continue to name more - the list of admirees is just too great. 2000ad artists alone would take a day to write up :)

Just want to say I hate Anime stylings!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Kev Walker floats my boat. As does Colin MacNeil.

Frank Quitely's work on the Missionary Man story "Bad Moon Rising" is probably the best looking comic I've ever seen.

I used to be such a 2000AD nerd. I miss those days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Khalim

rob liefeld

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭JMArr

John2 wrote:
    . As does Colin MacNeil.

Did he do Chopper in 2000AD way back?...That was well cool . :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

JMArr wrote:
    Did he do Chopper in 2000AD way back?...That was well cool . :cool:

Yes he did and yes it was. He did the Judge Dredd story America too. Absolutely amazing story, the art was perfect for it.

Another old 2000AD favourite I just remembered was Arthur Ranson. He did a few of the Judge Anderson stories and the Button Man stories. Very detailed and realistic style of drawing. I hated it at first but now I think it's fab.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭PunyHuman

I don't know many comic artists but I'd have to vote for Alex Ross as well.

But an honourable mention for Geoff Senior who drew all the best UK Transformers comics and also did Dragon's Claws...
    JMArr wrote:
    Does anyone remember the artist who did 'Dragons Claws' ?..early 90's I think..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Terry Dodson for the classic comic style (see Spiderman and Black Cat - The evil that men do) and Clayton Crain (see Venom v Carnage) for the most beautiful comic art you will ever see. Great for proving to people how great comics are! (awaiting E300 bucks worth of comics from mycomicshop arriving tomorrow morning) :D:D:D

PunyHuman wrote:
    I don't know many comic artists but I'd have to vote for Alex Ross as well.

But an honourable mention for Geoff Senior who drew all the best UK Transformers comics and also did Dragon's Claws...

Thats the guy ...cheers for refreshing my memory ..that comic rocked.
    :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Belle Ende

Geoff Senior was awesome. He gave amazing dynamism to those robots.

I also like: Carlos Pacheco and Art Adams.

totally agree ...same great sense of movement in his dragons claws artwork .
    also he had an angular style which was a great starting point for me learning how to sketch!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭BogOak

frank quitely is deadly. ever read any moebius? he's one of my favourites definitely. travesty: no one said r crumb... is he a cartoonist or a comic artist? either way he's the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 fuu123

animetitle,1391,rqmieu,samurai_champlo.htmljim davis

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I would never normally try give a definitive answer to something as subjective as art. But seriously, Alex Ross's work on the Marvels mini-series has set the bar so very, very high. Reed Richards could stretch and stretch and stretch and he wouldn't come close to touching it.

I've just read them for the first time in over a decade and I wasn't disappointed. The art work is art work. Not comic art, actual gallery quality art. It's so good. I remember the first time I saw it I wasn't sure if it was a colection of photographs it was so far removed from any comic art I'd seen.

It reminds me a little bit of the 60's Ladybird books with the photo quality art. If you haven't read it, I'd recommend checking them out. Even if you're not a Marvel fan check them out. They're wonderful.

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Studios/3840/marvels.html

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭skapunkkeith

frank miller

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭edibility

Anyone who worked on Transmetropolitian. The detail and imagination in it is mind blowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Emmett wrote:
    Bruce Timm of Batman Animated fame, he's got a totally unique simple style. Well,it's simple until you try to mimic it :)
    Anyone here collect original art? I just got some nice Buscema Conan art.....beautiful!
    Yeah, love Bruce Timm and Alex Ross meself. I have 2 original pieces. Got a nice Bruce Timm sketch of a nude pose and I got an original Alex Ross sketch from Kingdom Come. The Batman sketch at the back of the Kingdom Come paperback: http://www.alexrossart.com/gallery/books/kingdomcome/bat00.html

They're my pride and joys!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Briony Noh

Gene Colan was top of my list in the 80s, then Frank Miller came along with Daredevil and the Dark Knight stuff. Bill Sienkowicz wrenches gut superbly, Garry Leach had angst and beauty in every frame (apparently took him an age to draw each one, too). There were hosts of others I'd have killed to be compared with, including Kirby and Eisner. Been out of touch with comics for a decade or two, but even I've noticed (and shelled out for) Alex Ross. Don't think he shows much of a soul in his work though, a drawback (imho) of using models and photos. My ideal artist doesn't exist yet. I think he or she would need to be a cross between Ross and Colan with a splattering of Sienkowicz.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

geoff senior. i LOVED this guy and its a fecking disgrace he not in the industry anymore. the only guy i know who comes close to the widescreen panoramas that he could do is john romita junior. id pay good money to see him do another transformers book, or even deaths head. just the sheer dynamism and power he lent to his drawings, when he drew someone getting the **** kicked out of em it LOOKED painful :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭lyrama

I <3 James Jean :D!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Brother To God

Theres great then theres great like the great Dave McKean who does Cages,Sandman and alot of the sandman offshoots,what an amazing artist he uses every medium to its full extent and has no lack of imagination,he has spawned a new generation of artists as you all well know and has a commitment to originality,he can use low grade tools and produce master pieces like in Violent cases,even if the story is bad a it is always worth checking out due to his amazing artwork!

• Advertisement
Advertisement