Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpools latest take over rumour

• 07-02-2005 9:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭

So now it's a middle eastern rumour. With Parry also saying that Morgan is still welcome at the table.

So anyone with any insight into this or any views?

I'd imagine a middle eastern would be bringing serious oil money to the table. Personally I wouldn't like the chelsea model. Buy success, but clearly any kind of success is preferable to the current malaise

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

uberwolf wrote:
    So now it's a middle eastern rumour. With Parry also saying that Morgan is still welcome at the table.

So anyone with any insight into this or any views?

I'd imagine a middle eastern would be bringing serious oil money to the table. Personally I wouldn't like the chelsea model. Buy success, but clearly any kind of success is preferable to the current malaise

buying success is even hard now, cos you have to find someone richer than roman abramovich, so to an extent its all going to be relative to how much money they have compared to ra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Stekelly wrote:
    buying success is even hard now, cos you have to find someone richer than roman abramovich, so to an extent its all going to be relative to how much money they have compared to ra.

No you don't. You need a good manager (Liverpool may already have one) a bit of luck and the money to bring in good players that will work their socks off for the team. It is not necessary to out bid the chelseas of this world as they can not buy every player and as we saw in Greece last summer good team spirit and a willingness to battle for each other will overcome the Prima Donnas most of the time. IMO Liverpool need to invest in five or six players but in the current climate they do not need abromvich type funds to secure those players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

The Muppet wrote:
    No you don't. You need a good manager (Liverpool may already have one) a bit of luck and the money to bring in good players that will work their socks off for the team. It is not necessary to out bid the chelseas of this world as they can not buy every player and as we saw in Greece last summer good team spirit and a willingness to battle for each other will overcome the Prima Donnas most of the time. IMO Liverpool need to invest in five or six players but in the current climate they do not need abromvich type funds to secure those players.
    Exactly. Mind you Ill be happy if they bring in even another two or three of the type of calibre required during the Summer. I feel Benetiz can get more out of some of the players that have been underperforming for Liverpool in recent seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I think we are still short a few quality players....
    Cover needed at centre back for an ageing Hyypia. LB also a problem as I think Riise is making the LM position his own. If we can keep SG, central midfield is sorted when we get Alonso back. Right midfeld is weak. 2 players needed there. Once we have all the strikers back fit, I think Cisse & Morientes will be first choice up front. As for the keeper situation...not sure on the long term injury prone-ness of Kirky...Is Carson good enough for the step up? I've not seen any of him yet.
    I see Russel Hoult of Southampton is not as confident as he was 2 seasons ago...anything to do with Joe Corrigan being on the staff there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

Unfortunately unless Liverpool manage to secure Champions League football next season they wiil need a significant investment to bring in the quality players that are currently lacking.

After Rick Parry's recent comments in the press and interview on the BBC, it seems they will settle for cashing in on Gerrard and an investment of around 30-50 million.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

sell gerrard and what signals will that send out ,the once mighty pool are happy to settle for 4th/5th spot in the near future

Sadly, yes. WE don't have the financial muscle to challenge the top three of Man Utd Arsenal and certainly not Chelsea. Now either there is substantial investment from a takeover by the L4 group or they settle for a 30% investment and the sale of Gerrard.

This will give Benitez around 50 - 70 Mill to spend on players and also inveest some in the new stadium whose costs are said to be higher than first let on.

cerbeus wrote:

After Rick Parry's recent comments in the press and interview on the BBC, it seems they will settle for cashing in on Gerrard and an investment of around 30-50 million.

The deal is done , Parry is just conditioning the fans to accept the inevitable.
    I think selling Gerrard is the right thing to do but only if they spend the money on quality players, Liverpool can not afford any more bad signings as this could be their last chance to generate enough cash from player sales to put things right.

Gerrard's probably off in the summer but where he will end up in the question. Can't see him going to Chelsea as they wouldn't want to help a premiership rival by selling them your best player.

He could go to Real Madrid and join Owen. That's if Owen stays there as a recent rumour had Reyes heading to Real with Owen heading to Arsenal in part exchange.

cerbeus wrote:
    Gerrard's probably off in the summer but where he will end up in the question. Can't see him going to Chelsea as they wouldn't want to help a premiership rival by selling them your best player.

If the leaks out of anfield are true He's going to the same place he was last year until his last minute change of heart. Chelsea.

• Advertisement

Maybe but only if LFC agree. Don't think that they want to. If you had Gerrard and he wanted away would you sell him to Chelsea if another club could match the fee?

cerbeus wrote:
    Maybe but only if LFC agree. Don't think that they want to. If you had Gerrard and he wanted away would you sell him to Chelsea if another club could match the fee?

The only other club that may be able to match the fee in England would be Man United How would you fell about that one? ;)

TBH if Chelsea really want him nobody will have the resources to outbid them.

Fergie knows and has already stated that he would love Gerrard to join Man U.
    Never gonna happen! :D

Nobody currently can outbid them but there are also Gerrard's personal conditions to consider and he may want to join Owen in the sun!
    Guess only time will tell. :rolleyes:

Whatever happens LFC still need to make some headway or are in danger of being left behind as an also ran club instead of being one of the top four. It's very important for the chairman and the board to get the right kind of funding.

Moores has stated at the last two AGM's that he would/may consider standing aside for the good of the club. There are currently no signs of this happening at the moment as he and parry are desparately trying to secure the funding to avoid have to sell the family silver.

The L4 group have made their intentions clear by making a bid for the club. What form this takes only time will tell but they have had to disclose/register with the Takeover panel in the UK and in doing so have full access to the books. This should reveal to them whether the club is a viable prospect for investment.

cerbeus wrote:
    Nobody currently can outbid them but there are also Gerrard's personal conditions to consider and he may want to join Owen in the sun!

Sunny Highbury ??????

cerbeus wrote:
    This should reveal to them whether the club is a viable prospect for investment.

IMO Liverpool have the ability to be as big and viable as as any club in the game but they need to be winning the league .

Don't think Arsenal could pay 30 mil for him to be honest. ;)

LFC have been trading on their reputation for the last 15 years and only for Houllier's brief run of cups they have only had the odd FA cupp here and there. They are in desperate need of winning one of the major trophies such as the Premiership or the Champions League. The PS is out as Chelsea have that more or less sown up. That is unless they lose their bottle and Man U or Arsenal string a decent run together.

Nope only a large investment and/or a takeover with a complete overhaul of the business at Anfield will ensure that LFC get back amongst the big guns.

Benitez is proving to be a decent manager given the lack of funds and the injury crisis he has had to contend with. Now if only the business side could get straightened out and the funding put in place to allow him to build for the future with or without Gerrad.

Looks like the L4 bid has been withdrawn. Word on other webite has it that the L4 group has grown weary with Moores and Parry. And have decided to withdraw their offer to launch a takeover of LFC.

Moores and Parry will noe continue to find an investor who will be happy to invest for a 30% stake in the club. They're hoping for a decent run in the Champions League and the coveted fourth place in the league to help generate the amounts of cash that Benitez will need to mount a serious challenge for any kind of silverware next season.

Gerrard is almost certainly set to leave after seeing ther direction that Moores and Parry are taking the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,284 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

If moores cared so much about liverpool he would put the club first, its obvious a 30% investment is no use we need to keep gerrard and spend in the region of 50 million to even begin to think about competing

as for gerrard i would imagine the only english club he'll goto is chelsea, arsenal havent the funds and it looks like they are on the wane and there has never been a player from anfield to old trafford in a direct transfer and i dont see that changing any time soon.

troubling times ahead for the pool unless something happens on the investment front

Cyrus wrote:
    there has never been a player from anfield to old trafford in a direct transfer and i dont see that changing any time soon.

Thats not exactly right. There have been 3 transfers I think the last one being in the 50s.

I agree with you when you say Gerrard will not go to United. Even if in his heart he wanted to move to Old Trafford I dont believe it would be in his best interest to make that move.

Chelski it is so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,284 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

sorry i didnt realise that,

however if he went to united he'd be lynched plain and simple

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

There is NO WAY he would go to Utd

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Sol Campbell, Mo Johnson Luis Figo - never say never. (personally don't think it woul but you never know)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

kida wrote:
    Sol Campbell, Mo Johnson Luis Figo - never say never. (personally don't think it woul but you never know)
    Indeed that list could be endless so it's definitely not impossible that he'd go to United. If however he leaves Liverpool he'll be going to win things (or so he leads people to belive) and while his prospects would be greatly increased at United the safer money would be on the trip to Chelsea if the move is to keep him in the Premiership. If it's money he's after then I hear York are handling their finances pretty well these days (couldn't be arsed stating the obvious...).

It's going to be either Chelsea or Real. No way that he would join UTD he'd never be left in peace by LFC fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

kida wrote:

where all those born in the same city and did they support the club as a kid? figo certainly wasnt born anyway, dont think johnson was.

Heres a question for Pool fans out of Interest,

If United put in the highest Bid for Gerrard how would you feel if he did move to United?

Keep it clean I,m just interested in the dept of feeling particulaly with the older Pool Fans on the issue and I know when he moves he is going to end up at Chelsea.

figo certainly wasnt born anyway, dont think johnson was.

Cool , figo is an android made in a factory............sorry, couldnt resist.

The Muppet wrote:
    If United put in the highest Bid for Gerrard how would you feel if he did move to United?

TBH I think for him personally it would be a good move, he could learn so much from Roy Keane and maybe actually reach his potential. I just dont know if he has the ability to grow up and cop on by himself, he needs someone to guide him and who better than Keane. Having sadi that it would be an unforgiveable move.

The Muppet wrote:
    Sorry Muppet but that's a bit of a stupid question (IMHO), how do you think we'd feel? Some pool fans would like to see him swapped for the money but personally I don't want to see him go to any team, least of all Arsenal, ManU, Rangers and Everton. Should Liverpool manage to become a good enough team within the next few years to feel directly deprived or threatened by Chelsea then I'll add them to that list but for the moment I just think of them as a Real Madrid who we have to play twice a year.

How would you feel if 5 or 10 years ago Giggs or Keane decided their career would be better served at Man City or Liverpool? (not 10 years ago for Keane obviously, I think he was still only getting settled at that stage).

p.pete wrote:
    Sorry Muppet but that's a bit of a stupid question (IMHO), how do you think we'd feel? Some pool fans would like to see him swapped for the money but personally I don't want to see him go to any team, least of all Arsenal, ManU, Rangers and Everton. Should Liverpool manage to become a good enough team within the next few years to feel directly deprived or threatened by Chelsea then I'll add them to that list but for the moment I just think of them as a Real Madrid who we have to play twice a year.

How would you feel if 5 or 10 years ago Giggs or Keane decided their career would be better served at Man City or Liverpool? (not 10 years ago for Keane obviously, I think he was still only getting settled at that stage).

TBH ppete that is the reply I expected from the older liverpool Fans{no offence} I was just wondering do the younger ones still see UTD at their "biggest enemy" or have chelseas or arsenal taken that title.

For me Liverpool have always been Uniteds biggest Game and I would not be a happy camper if we sold them anyone with the possible exceptions of Klebeson or Bellion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The Muppet wrote:
    TBH ppete that is the reply I expected from the older liverpool Fans{no offence} I was just wondering do the younger ones still see UTD at their "biggest enemy" or have chelseas or arsenal taken that title.

For me Liverpool have always been Uniteds biggest Game and I would not be a happy camper if we sold them anyone with the possible exceptions of Klebeson or Bellion.

For me, united are still the enemy... It does not bother me that Chelsea are going to win this season or that Arsenal won with such ease last season..

However, I would not want to see him at another big English club..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

how about Rooney, Smith, Cantona, Rio, all whose fans hated the fact that they joined United.

Players don't hate teams like fans do, simply because their career is the most important thing.
    Nonetheless, I think with the meantion of Owen, Real might be on the cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

The Muppet wrote:

Keep it clean I,m just interested in the dept of feeling particulaly with the older Pool Fans on the issue and I know when he moves he is going to end up at Chelsea.

i would much prefer him to move to chelsea. The whole liverpool and united history is still very big, we dont really have a history with chelsea. seeing gerrard scoring a goal at the kop end in his united jersey...well i dont think i need to explain how i would feel about that. :D

sad thing for him is, i say he would be fairly gutted aswell. i know when he moves he will get a lot of stick of the fans, undeserved aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

PHB wrote:
    how about Rooney, Smith, Cantona, Rio, all whose fans hated the fact that they joined United.

Players don't hate teams like fans do, simply because their career is the most important thing.
    But the only history any of those clubs have with United is Leeds. And then, Cantona was foreign and was only their a year so he had no real comprehension of the hatred.

As regards Gerrard, his move to Chelsea last year was jepordised (allegedly) by threats etc. How do you think those parties would react to the thought of him joining United?

And anyway, I think he will give it at least another year. What would be the point in staying for just one year under Benetiz? The team has done well enough this year. Still in the CL, chance of the CC, and still going ok in the league. I mean what did he expect? And then add in new players settling, new tactics and manager, not to mention injuries.
    PHB wrote:
    Nonetheless, I think with the meantion of Owen, Real might be on the cards.
    If it was anywhere I would agree..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Not to mention the absurdity of another club outbidding Chelsea...

If he really really cares about the fans, he would move to Real Madrid.
    I always felt thats why Owen moved to real, because he was Liverpool through and through, and the only way aroudn that was to move to a foreign club, much like Beckham

---

Its not a bidding war to a huge extent.

once a price is reached by Liverpol which they are happy with, they will let Gerrard decide.
    Obviously they will try to get as much as possible, but if they got 3 offers of 30 mill, I'd say tey'd accept them all and let him decide.
    If he wants to move to a club, and they are offering 30 mill, he won't be told he has to go to Chelsea cause they are offering 50 mil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

No, they just won't accept the 30m offer so he has no choice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

For me our two biggest premiership games of the season are those against Utd. No matter how far down the table either Liverpool or Utd will fall in the next few years the Utd game will always be the biggest grudge match. But saying that if I was born in the city I'd probably have said Everton.

The only way I could justify him leaving for Utd over any other club would be if they were willing to offer 7-10million more for him than the nearest club.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I would say him NOT going to UTD has more to do with his family's safety as I would not put anything past the new "me me me generation" of football players we have today.You have to remember it got abit "nasty" when the chelsea thing was going on last summer,if he went to Utd you could multiply that by 100 times.

IMHO if/when he does go it will be to Chelsea or aboard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

I for one am sick of hearing steve gerrad linking to either chelsea or real madrid.If he was really committed to liverpool, he would lay the rumours to rest.Sell him and lets get 30-40 million for him as we have a great replacement in alonso.
    Personally i dont think gerrard would move to Utd due to liverpool and utd's rivalery but then again stranger things have happened.

There was a 'rumour' on koptalk or thisisanfield a few weeks ago that he was holding talks with the board about signing a contract extension. Unlikely as it may be it would certainly silence the media if he signed an extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

Gerrard is not the full article yet yet the media in england proclaim him to be world class.Im a liverpool fan and have been for nearly 20 years and its the roy keanes of this world that are world class.He is certainly on his way but the media in the UK have this nack of building up teams and players up so much its scandelous and then ripping them if they fail.Hence the failed friendly last week against holland, most of the journalists despise sven for his odd ball selections.This isnt a dig at anyone just the truth.Anways lets get back to liverpools investment, i hope we do get some soon as we badly need it as david moores doesnt look like hes going to give us millions in the summer.Tis good that rafa benitez has given the players a kick up the behind as they needed it badly.

p.s. I'd rather have Alonso than gerrard :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Kencu

I’ll be honest I don’t really mind where we get the cash from but we do need it. I like most pool fans on this board only caught a few years of our golden era, and I’m desperate for some more. Spending millions on the Sean Dundee’s of this world has cost us dearly. I’d prefer it to be Morgan £’s but that’s unlikely to happen. We need at least 4 new quality players this summer. And that’s not including replacing Gerrard if he goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

The Muppet wrote:

It was very difficult seeing Fowler in a Leeds jersey, I just wouldn't be able to handle the stick from all my UTD fan mates if he joined them.

For me, he has to go abroad. Maybe he sussed out Barca earlier in the week when he was over there?

Surely, he can see the potential of him & Alonso in midfield???? If they can sort out the right side of midfield, an extra centre back and left back with Cisse & Morientes up front and cover for both wings, then they'll have the makings of a good squad and could challenge next year if they can avoid the injuries of this year.

Lex Luthor wrote:
    sort out the right side of midfield, an extra centre back and left back with Cisse & Morientes up front and cover for both wings
    Simple really, we're only missing half a team. Maybe throw in a keeper for good measure?

Rafa is meant to be really impressed with Carson. He intended to buy an experienced keeper during the transfer window but when he seen Carson training he decided against it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Rafa is meant to be really impressed with Carson. He intended to buy an experienced keeper during the transfer window but when he seen Carson training he decided against it.

Well I wish he'd put him in then !!!! Dudek enstills no confidence whatsoever.

BolBill wrote:
    Well I wish he'd put him in then !!!! Dudek enstills no confidence whatsoever.

That may not be a good idea until they have sorted out the problems in the back . The last thing you want is a good yuoung keeper having his confidence shattered by lack of cover from a poor defence. Dudek has been poor of late but I wonder how much of that is down top a lack of confidence in his defenders, Dudek was a good keeper previously. It's a bit like Howard at United. In his first season with the full defence he looked a class act but his form slumped when that unit was broken up and to date he has not recovered from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

By all accounts Carson is supposed to be top notch

IMO I dont think we are missing that many players & the team could soon end up like this (providing Gerrard stays)

Carson
    Finnan
    Carragher
    ????
    ????
    ????
    Gerrard
    Alonso
    Kewell/Riise
    Morientes
    Cisse

That is a good starting point for a team as far as I am concerned

Thats only 3 positions that need to replaced. Hyypia is getting on & has no pace, traore doesn't make me feel very confident at left back, he is just all legs( maybe put riise back there but he is playin so well in left midfield ) and then the problem position of the last few years is right midfield.
    What we have been missing is a duffer or a robben. We need someone who can take people on down the wing, make things out of nothing and provide some quality balls for the strikers to get on the end of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I think Westerveld was certainly good, and he lost his confidence. I'm not sure Dudek was ever any good.

- Always brutal at crosses when anyone challeneges them.
    - Parries and drops a lot of shots he should be catching, usually in the path of strikers!
    - Always tries to make his good saves, look better than they are by extravagant dives and falls.

I think its he who makes the defence nervous, rather than vice versa.

However, I'm not sure I'd take Rafa at his word re Carson. They might be just trying to build up his confidence by saying such stuff. He did let in 4 goals on his reserve team debut, so perhaps his confidence is low too?

But I would love to be wrong. If Carson really is a very good keeper, then I say "put him in now".

• Advertisement
Advertisement