Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpools latest take over rumour

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I think its he who makes the defence nervous, rather than vice versa.
    I dont agree, IMO Carragher is the only defender you have that's good enough for the a top premiership team . I dont believe Finnian or Rise are solid enough defensively to be played in that position on a regular basis.

Yom is right (apart from finnan) Liverpools problems mostly lie in defence and to win anything that area of your team must be solid. If Gerrard goes they will need five or six players providing they can stay injury free for a season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I didnt say the defence was any good. Just that Dudek makes them more nervous.

Though I do think Finnan has been very good this year. I wouldnt swap him for anyone (not to mention its great to have an Irishman in the team).

from the official website, so not sure if they're selective or a whole interview. nice that they're somewhat positive for a change.
    "I come from a family of Liverpool fans and I know what this club means and I am very happy," he said.

"I am enjoying everything although of course I am desperate for things to get better, but I know this will happen under Benitez. He is a very good coach.

"This campaign has been up and down but we are in a cup final and we have a good challenge ahead in order to finish in the top four. It would be nice to be involved in the title race but we will give it our best shot in the other competitions.

"Obviously there have been a lot of changes and it is going to be a question of time until everything is rosy again. The manager has introduced good players but they have taken time to settle which is normal.

"I am certain that with time the manager will improve things. With a complete change in coaching staff and seven players in and seven out it is going to be difficult but the boys are enjoying training."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

He might be just building up teh fact that he's not leaving the club in the shíts ... and they can improve without him , although I hope (fingers crossed) its a sign he's gonna give another few seasons to the pool ...

Any idea when he said that? It certainly more positive than other comments attributed to him recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Rafa is meant to be really impressed with Carson. He intended to buy an experienced keeper during the transfer window but when he seen Carson training he decided against it.
    Yes, I heard that too but did you notice how he said this after the transfer window had actually closed? Personally I just saw it as a clever bit of confidence building.

muppet, the story has today's date on it, per the LFC website. It would lead you to believe that it was said within the last few days - but its doesnt state when he actually did make the comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Replacement
    Finnan
    Carragher
    Replacement
    Replacement/Riice
    Replacement
    Gerrard
    Alonso
    Replacement
    Morientes
    Baros

Squad:
    Carson
    Baros
    Replacement cover for CB
    Replacement cover wingback
    Replacement cover for wings
    Replacement cover for up midfield

Thats nine players needed to have any hope of challening for the championship, and if you want to challenge for the champ, 5 of those players have to be world class

PHB wrote:

Replacement
    Finnan
    Carragher
    Replacement
    Replacement/Riice
    Replacement
    Gerrard
    Alonso
    Replacement
    Morientes
    Baros

Squad:
    Carson
    Baros
    Replacement cover for CB

Thats nine players needed to have any hope of challening for the championship, and if you want to challenge for the champ, 5 of those players have to be world class
    or 10 players if you don't like the idea of having two Baros's :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

PHB wrote:

Replacement
    Finnan
    Carragher
    Replacement
    Replacement/Riice
    Replacement
    Gerrard
    Alonso
    Replacement
    Morientes
    Baros

Squad:
    Carson
    Baros
    Replacement cover for CB

That is being overly criticall.. Many of the players Liverpool have now are more than good enough to be used as backup to an improved first team.. Hamann, Kewell, Cisse, Smicer, Garcia being just a few..

Garcia in particular as so far I think he's had a better first season in England the Pires had, so fingers crossed for more improvement.

Hamann is still up there with the best - he works away quietly on the pitch and probably has another season or two left.

Smicer hasn't had a chance to play under Benitez yet and I'd like to think he'll be much improved.

Definitely we need quality additions to the squad / team but it's not 9 or 10 players. Also the players we do have need to start improving their performances otherwise it won't matter how many millions we spend on talent, they'll still be average.

Realistically, we need about 4 quality additions to the first team to have a fair shot at the championship..

No you really really need more.
    Garcia is a player I left out, thats granted, but thats still 8 players you need to have a shot.
    Even then, they won't be the best of the best, cause the best of the best will be bought by the top 3.
    Hamann is ok, not good enough, and even if he is, hes gona soon.
    Smicer isn't good enough
    Kewell is ****, hasn't poreformed at the higher level, unfortunately. Wasted talent I guess

Cisce is meant to be the sub where I put in Baros :)

Probably 4 is a much fairer assesment but that would only get us to the top three. In terms of being at the top I think the idea of a top 3 at the moment is a bit of a farce - there's a top one and then there's 2 other teams not that far behind Chelsea.

If united and arsenal want to be as strong as Chelsea personally I think they need 3 or 4 players at least (liverpool probably needing around 8).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

PHB wrote:

Replacement
    Finnan
    Carragher
    Replacement
    Replacement/Riice
    Replacement
    Gerrard
    Alonso
    Replacement
    Morientes
    Baros

Squad:
    Carson
    Baros
    Replacement cover for CB

i agree on the first team replacements we need, hopefully we have the gk already in carson. Risse isnt good to be a left back. I think kewel is good enough to stay, he was improving in the few games before his injury. So fingers crossed he can gain his confidence. Garcia is good cover since he can play in a few positions. Hamann will cut it as a sub for one more season if we really need it.

smicer isnt good enough i dont think. We wont be challenging for the title next season, but we should be closer. and hopefully the season after we will be challenging.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Benitez isn't happy with the Gerrard media circus and is prepared to sell him in order to build a team. There are other interested parties apart from Chelsea. Barcelona and AC Milan are both interested and agents have been in contact to discuss a possible move.

Gerrard is keeping his options open, he has spoken to Owen about Madrid and is in no rush to join the Galaticos. Parry says he won't be sold to Chelsea but that means nothing - if Gerrard decides it's Chelsea for him all they need agree is the fee.

Benitez is already looking for a player who will fill the role and one of the candidates is Gerard from Barcelona - his contract is up in the summer. Barcelona aren't willing to spend the kind of money on Gerrard that Liverpool are looking for and also splash the cash for Baros. Liverpool are sticking to the €20M evaluation of Baros but Barca want to offer €10M plus Saviola.

Bannor wrote:
    Liverpool are sticking to the €20M evaluation of Baros but Barca want to offer €10M plus Saviola.
    I'd certainly listen to that offer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

€10m + Saviola for Baros?

Thats like the deal of the century! Jesus - Benitez - quick sell him before Barca realise he's completely terrible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Bannor wrote:
    Benitez is already looking for a player who will fill the role and one of the candidates is Gerard from Barcelona - his contract is up in the summer. .
    Gerrard for Gerard...the kit man won't have much to do but get out his red marker

Liverpool are sticking to the €20M evaluation of Baros but Barca want to offer €10M plus Saviola.

That is the deal of the century!!!!
    Saviola is what 24? An amazing talent, fast, quick, argentine(great for the premiership)
    GO GO GO!

• Advertisement

Benitez doesn't want Saviola - with the €20M he reckons he'll get a Aimar and another quality player who will fit into his team and style of play. Selling Baros and signing Saviola would be goin from the frying pan to the fire in terms of "I want first team football or I'm going to throw a tantrum".

No No no, I want Aimar to come to United :(:(:( Fergie better get him, he is the bomb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Kencu

I wouldn't be too keen on the Saviola signing. I'd actually rather the €10 straight up as Baros isn't even worth that. He'll score goals but his overall play is appauling. In fantasy world i'd wave goodbye to him and Gerrard and replace them with Gerard and SWP. Cisse/Morientes/ Pongolle/ Garcia is an above average lineup of strikers. Although i have heard that Rafa is very keen on getting Ledley King to play alongside Carra next year. Spur's would be looking for around €15 for him though. I'd be very excited by that.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Heh, €15 isn't bad for any player :D

I guess it's a dead cert really that Gerrard is leaving in the summer, it's just a case of where to. Shame really.

Will Rafa not need to consider more English players with the new UEFA ruling, or when does the UEFA ruling come into effect (the 4 or more home players ruling).

PHB wrote:

That is the deal of the century!!!!
    Saviola is what 24? An amazing talent, fast, quick, argentine(great for the premiership)
    GO GO GO!

Dont think argies are great for the premiership, why do you think that? heinze is the only one i can think of that has done well. Veron didnt excactly set the premiership a light.

Saviola is a quality player, but is he able for the premiership? he a bit to similiar to garcia i feel.

byte wrote:
    Heh, €15 isn't bad for any player :D

I guess it's a dead cert really that Gerrard is leaving in the summer, it's just a case of where to. Shame really.

Will Rafa not need to consider more English players with the new UEFA ruling, or when does the UEFA ruling come into effect (the 4 or more home players ruling).

4 that have come up the ranks or are the same nationality is it?

carson, kirkland, carragher, pognolle.

plenty of reserves who would be counted. whitbred, potter,jonh welsh. le tallec possibly. the left back/left mid broke his legs twice, cant remeber his name for the life of me, grrrr :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Bannor, any word on Cisse's recovery? You said a few months ago that it might be much worse than first thought.

Bannor, any word on Cisse's recovery? You said a few months ago that it might be much worse than first thought.
    Adidas were going to cancel his sponsorship deal in January, they changed their minds after they saw some medical results and are now going to re-evaluate it in the summer. He seems to be making good progress but the staff don't want to rush him back and we won't know for certain until he starts playing again.

PHB wrote:

Replacement
    Finnan
    Carragher
    Replacement
    Replacement/Riice
    Replacement
    Gerrard
    Alonso
    Replacement
    Morientes
    Baros

Squad:
    Carson
    Baros
    Replacement cover for CB

I'm curious as to why you would keep Finnan - Josemi was bought as a squad player and will displace him when fit.

Benitez's team:
    Kirkland
    Replacement1
    Carragher
    Replacement2
    Replacement3
    Replacement4/Garcia
    Replacement5
    Alonso
    Replacement6
    Garcia/Replacement7
    Morientes

Replacements based on what I've heard:

1 - Daniel Alves (Sevilla) there's an offer of €12M on the table for him. Real are now interested so the price has been raise to €15M.

2 - Ledley King/William Gallas. Enquiries were already made for King earlier in the season with a view to a move in the summer no price was agreed but Tottenham have since said they will listen to offers of over £10M for the player. Benitez likes Gallas's versatility and his agent says he's not happy with the situation at Chelsea.

3 - Wayne Bridge. Rafa has become a fan

4 - Unknown - enquiries were made about Shaun Wright-Phillips but City quoted a ridiculous price. After Liverpool withdrew the offer for Anelka they were told they could talk to the player and the clubs would discuss a fee if the player agreed a contract. SWP said he's holding out for a move to Arsenal in the summer/next year. Crystal Palace said yes to an offer of £2.5M for Wayne Routledge in January, the player said he wanted to stay in London and was in talks with Tottenham. Pennant was offered to Liverpool in January for £1M but Rafa said no. My guess is that he'll settle for Garcia if Aimar is signed.

5 - Bayern have been approached about Hargreaves the asking price is €6M. Benitez was hoping to offer Hamann but Bayern aren't interested. Scott Parker of Chelsea has been recommended if Gerrard goes there. Benitez has watched videos of his performances for Charlton prior to his move to Chelsea and is impressed. Gerard of Barcelona is an option on a bosman in the summer.

6 - Real Madrid's Solari was offered a pre-contract in January but he decided to stay at Madrid after getting the offer of a bigger contract. Parry has been instructed to make Damien Duff part of any deal with Chelsea for Gerrard.

7 - Pablo Aimar : his agent has told Liverpool to agree a fee with Valencia and Pablo will be in a Liverpool shirt in a heart beat. The agent reckons Valencia will accept €10-12M for the player.

It may seem like fantasy football but if things go his way in the transfer market Benitez will rebuild the first team in the summer through the sale of Gerrard and Baros.

Kirkland
    Alves
    Carragher
    King/Gallas
    Bridge
    Duff/Garcia
    Parker/Hargreaves
    Alonso
    Duff/Kewell
    Aimar
    Morientes

Could that first team challenge the top three?

Could Liverpool afford them all?

Would Chelsea do a straight swap: Gerrard for Duff, Gallas, Bridge and Parker? They'd be mad, but maybe they are. Though I cant see Mourinho selling either Duff or Gallas.

No way I'd spend 12m or 15m on a full back, when we've got Finnan who's playing well. I know Benitez didnt fancy him initially, but I'd be very surprised if his mind hasnt been changed.

I suppose the sale of Baros could fund the acquisiton of Aimar and Hargreaves. I know Aimar is class, but I'm not convinced his game is suited to the Premiership.

Hamann looks to be on his way on the summer on a free. According to the Hamburg manager, Thomas Doll, he'll sign a pre-contract with them this week:
    "We are just waiting for him now. We have made him the offer and we're just waiting for his agent to get back to us. I hope he will sign within the next few days."

• Advertisement

Could Liverpool afford them all?

Would Chelsea do a straight swap: Gerrard for Duff, Gallas, Bridge and Parker? They'd be mad, but maybe they are. Though I cant see Mourinho selling either Duff or Gallas.
    LOL That's a totally unrealistic scenario. there is no way Gerrard is worth the value of that deal and as you say Duff or Gallas or Bridge will be going nowhere unless they seek a move.

Am I wrong in saying that Duff was a liverpool fan since he was a kid?
    p.s. He'll never go :)

Chelsea's money is no good to Beniez in the transfer market. If he gets £30-40M for the player in a straight cash deal then the price of every player he looks at afterwards is going to be artificially inflated. Chelsea have players that he wants in exchange all of whom will get first team football at Liverpool which is something that won't be guaranteed at Chelsea. Chelsea don't look for massive transfer fees for talented players seen as surplus to requirements - two Argentinians and a certain Romanian are testimony to that. The question is how badly do they want Gerrard.

Duff is going to be surplus to requirements at Chelsea in the summer when they sign Joaquin - the deal was done last November. Mourinho doesn't rate Duff and sees him only as a stop gap until Joaquin arrives. The only reason he got in the team when Robben was injured at the start of the season was because Drogba kept on at Mourinho to play him.

Gallas doesn't see himself as a utility player and isn't happy with being backup to Carvalho and Terry long term.

It's no secret that Mourinho is looking for a replacement for Bridge, Ashley Cole isn't the only left full back to have had a meeting with Chelsea.

Parker is going to be surplus to requirements if Chelsea sign Gerrard.

Benitez has instructed Parry to stall any potential deal with Chelsea until after Chelsea sign a full back and Joaquin. That would suggest he wants Bridge and Duff to be part of the transfer.

No way I'd spend 12m or 15m on a full back, when we've got Finnan who's playing well. I know Benitez didnt fancy him initially, but I'd be very surprised if his mind hasnt been changed.
    The latest offer for Alves was made in the transfer window so I don't think Benitez has changed his mind on Finnan.

No doubt that Mourinho didnt rate Duff to begin with.

I believe it is untrue to say he doesnt rate Duff now. Mourinho is a good manager, he couldnt not rate one of his best players.

However, if the Joaquin deal is done, and if Chelsea really want Gerrard and Liverpool play hardball, then maybe it might happen.

I've heard Duff been mentioned as a Liverpool supporter and as a ManU supporter. Dont know which, if any, is true.

I dont think Chelsea would care if they lost Bridge and Parker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

where do u get this info bannor, are you an agent or something?

I find it hard to belive that duff aint in chelsea's plans as he is their best player and has been all season apart from terry.Then again been a liverpool fan i hope he does come to us.Gerrard can sod off we dont need him.

galwaydude wrote:
    where do u get this info bannor, are you an agent or something?
    The info comes from people who know senior staff and players in the club and an agent who represents the club on occassion.

galwaydude wrote:
    I find it hard to belive that duff aint in chelsea's plans as he is their best player and has been all season apart from terry.Then again been a liverpool fan i hope he does come to us.Gerrard can sod off we dont need him.

Agreed. IMO Duff is Chelsea's best attacking player. I would be surprised if Murinho was will to get rid of a proven player in favor of someone that may not be suited to the premiership. I also don't believe Bridge will be sold even if they get Cole. Chelsea defense is rock solid and Murinho is on record as saying he wants two quality players challenging for each position.All these players are on lucrative contracts at Chelsea and would be unlikey to want to move. Bride will also have to recover from his injury before any club would risk buying him.

Then again how can you call a manager that uses his 3 substitutes at Half time in an importan match ?

LOL@ the Gerrard can sod off comment. Fickle or what?

The Muppet wrote:
    LOL@ the Gerrard can sod off comment. Fickle or what?
    I dont think you can expect all fans to be loyal to a player who intends to move club shortly. If Gerrard was loyal to the club, all fans would be loyal to him.

If Van Nistlerooy came out and said "I want to join Barca in the summer", I'm sure most United fans would say "sod off" too, and "we can use the money we get to buy SWP and Torres", or similar.

• Advertisement

im not been fickle, for ask any true liverpool fan, we only want players that are loyal to the cause.steve gerrard hasnt exactly come out and said he will stay with us for next season.It doesnt do morale any good for the team and if it means selling gerrard and getting players who actually eant to play for the pool and not glory hunting for the riches of chelea or madrid, sod him i say.Anyways alonso's stats were so much better when he was in the team than gerrard so we wont miss him.Hes a decent player but hyped up to the last but he is no roy keane.

Thats some good info Bannor!! Good to see you back.. Again!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Thats some good info Bannor!! Good to see you back.. Again!!

Yeah but the question is, "Is it true/accurate?"

I know I have an Irish bias, but I really can't see Chelsea selling Duff. I would've believed it at the beginning of the year, hell, I even thought it was in Duff's interest to leave but not now.

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

The Joaquin rumours have substance to them though, and Duff won't get into Mourinho's team ahead of Robben and Joaquin.

The Joaquin rumours have substance to them though, and Duff won't get into Mourinho's team ahead of Robben and Joaquin.

Also, if they have Robben and Joaquin, they can afford to use Duff in a deal for Gerard.. That assumes they prioritise Gerard ahead of Duff of course..

Yip, if Joaquin does sign, it makes the Duff to Liverpool scenario a possibility.

Makelele sitting behind Lampard and Gerrard, with Joaquin and Robben out wide or roving, would be rather good!

Liverpool will probably end up with Joe Cole though :(
    - nah, Rafa wouldnt fall for that

• Advertisement

galwaydude wrote:
    im not been fickle, for ask any true liverpool fan, we only want players that are loyal to the cause.steve gerrard hasnt exactly come out and said he will stay with us for next season.It doesnt do morale any good for the team and if it means selling gerrard and getting players who actually eant to play for the pool and not glory hunting for the riches of chelea or madrid, sod him i say.Anyways alonso's stats were so much better when he was in the team than gerrard so we wont miss him.Hes a decent player but hyped up to the last but he is no roy keane.

Sorry it was just an observation no offence inteneded. Even if Gerrad does move Liverpool gfans still own him a dept of gratitude. He could have done a mc manaman and Liverpool would be really in trouble with no cash cow to sell to spend on the players they obviously need.IMO It's fickle not to recognise that debt .

As for asking any true liverpool fans about wanting only loyal players. It was obvious last summer that Gerrard wanted away but was forced to change his mind due to Liverpool fans who obviously didn't care about Gerrards wishes.

I agree with the rest of your post about him being over rated etc.

The Muppet wrote:
    It was obvious last summer that Gerrard wanted away but was forced to change his mind due to Liverpool fans who obviously didn't care about Gerrards wishes.
    The fans you refer to were his own family.

Bannor wrote:
    The fans you refer to were his own family.

His own family sent the death threats?

maybe i was a bit harsh about gerrard, still think hes overated but if we can get 40 million, great.Just remember benitez won la liga twice in 3 years so hopefully he will change things at liverpool.I pray to god he does as have brought me much heartache over the last twenty years that i have supported them.
    I fear for us tonight without him and morientas tonight, those germans are a class team.

The Muppet wrote:
    Sorry it was just an observation no offence inteneded. Even if Gerrad does move Liverpool gfans still own him a dept of gratitude. He could have done a mc manaman and Liverpool would be really in trouble with no cash cow to sell to spend on the players they obviously need.IMO It's fickle not to recognise that debt .

As for asking any true liverpool fans about wanting only loyal players. It was obvious last summer that Gerrard wanted away but was forced to change his mind due to Liverpool fans who obviously didn't care about Gerrards wishes.

I agree with the rest of your post about him being over rated etc.

i agree. liverpool owe him hugely. He carried us to the CL last year, did it for us against olmpiakus and plenty of other occasions. I agree hes overated compared to a keane or a viera, but hes still a class player. The liverpool "fans" who sent him death threats should be strung up by their balls and have them hacked off.

I dont blame gerrard for wanting to leave last summer. If the rest of the players had the same ambition and drive as him we wouldnt be lagging behind everton. He wasnt to know how beneztiz would do, or the player he had an eye on.

To be honest, clearly gerrard knows about these potential transfers, he can see the club moving forward. But if he asked to stay i think benetiz would sell him still. And if we were to get gallas, bridge and duff i would accept it.

Banner, your not rafa are you? :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement