Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpools latest take over rumour

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

I would have thought that when Jaoquin arrives it would be a scramble for places but I cannot see Mourinho getting rid of Duff. Look at the effect the loss of Robben has had on Chelsea. With Duff still around he has a backup player for the very successfull 4-3-3 counterattacking roles. Having said that, Joaquin might struggle with English football initially. Or might struggle entirely.

I just can't see the sense in getting rid of Duff. Besides, hasn't Mourinho been touting him as one of Chelsea's best players? His newfound defensive abilitly coupled with his attacking ability makes him a helluva force when he's on the field.

Robben, Joaquin and Duff would be superb attacking midfield options to have on any squad and the Chelsea team seem to rely on attacking midfield more often than not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

would duff enjoy the bench warming role though?

from an irish point of view, its a big year. it would be a blow if duff wsnt gettign his game on a regular basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

from an irish point of view, its a big year. it would be a blow if duff wsnt gettign his game on a regular basis.

sure they said that when robben came in... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Murinho has just show what he thinks of Duff. He is going nowhere. Joaquin will go to Real in the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Mourinho only said a couple of months ago that Duff is his best player. He loves him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

eirebhoy wrote:
    Mourinho only said a couple of months ago that Duff is his best player. He loves him.

does any have the piece? Was he asked specially about duff, and then said he is his best player? or was he asked who his best player was and he said duff?

i would be very suprised if he left. It all depends if joaquin joins chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Sure the Ireland -v- Portugal match is a perfect example of what Mourinho thinks of Duff now. It was the second time he came to Lansdowne to see Duff play. The first time he left before the match was over without saying a word to Duff.
    After the Portugal match he hung around and picked him up by a chaffeur driven car and whisked him off to the airport to an awaiting private jet. Hardly the actions of a manager that wants to get rid of a player!

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

BaZmO* wrote:
    Sure the Ireland -v- Portugal match is a perfect example of what Mourinho thinks of Duff now. It was the second time he came to Lansdowne to see Duff play. The first time he left before the match was over without saying a word to Duff.
    He's Portugese :p and the first time he blanked him?

I don't suppose when he whisked him to the airport they had a Chelsea match coming up in a few days that he'd want him rested for? Duff probably fell asleep on the jet :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

p.pete wrote:
    He's Portugese :p and the first time he blanked him?

I don't suppose when he whisked him to the airport they had a Chelsea match coming up in a few days that he'd want him rested for? Duff probably fell asleep on the jet :D

I know he's Portugese and yes Chelsea did have a game coming up, but you have to agree it was in stark contrast with the way he felt about him when he first came to Chelsea.

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

BaZmO* wrote:
    After the Portugal match he hung around and picked him up by a chaffeur driven car and whisked him off to the airport to an awaiting private jet. Hardly the actions of a manager that wants to get rid of a player!

B.
    I dont think Mourinho doesnt rate Duff, in fact quite the opposite.

But I dont think this is any measure of his admiration for him, as Im sure he picked up Paulo Ferreira and Tiago who were also playing. To get them all back for the Newcastle game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

i agree. liverpool owe him hugely. He carried us to the CL last year, did it for us against olmpiakus and plenty of other occasions. I agree hes overated compared to a keane or a viera, but hes still a class player. The liverpool "fans" who sent him death threats should be strung up by their balls and have them hacked off.

Have to disagree bout the oylimpiakos game, he was anonymous for the game up until the goal. Thats not whats needed for a captain and central midfield player. A strong leader thats always involved. ie Roy Keane. Unfortunatly theres only one of him so if Gerard wants out I say sell him and get a worthy replacement (or a few as the thread seems to suggest. I'd be very happy with a few of those signings.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

This question is to Liverpool fans about Gerrard but I'm sure fans of other teams could comment, but if you had a choice between Alonso or Gerrard, who would you pick....???

Maybe a poll could start out of this but I would take Alonso any day.

Personally I'd take Gerrard although I can't say it's an easy decision. A poll would certainly be interesting (although it would only give a reflection of what a cross-reference of people are thinking at this particular time :D)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Stekelly wrote:
    Have to disagree bout the oylimpiakos game, he was anonymous for the game up until the goal. Thats not whats needed for a captain and central midfield player. A strong leader thats always involved. ie Roy Keane. Unfortunatly theres only one of him so if Gerard wants out I say sell him and get a worthy replacement (or a few as the thread seems to suggest. I'd be very happy with a few of those signings.)

yes actually we were quite rubbish until one florent sinama-pongolle entered the fray, i honestly believe he changed that match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Sure everything went right in that second half. Mellor's finish was brilliant I thought, when he should have been third favourite to the ball. Even Oh-no-nio Nunez made a goal thanks to a great header.

But it has to ber said, at the end of the day, the most important player was Stevie G

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

i can debate this all day,
    but that was argueably are best performance for 5 years on wednesday night and no stevie, when we lost xabi i though it made a greater difference i think if we lose stevie that maybe xabi and igor can make an excellent midfield duo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Lex Luthor wrote:
    This question is to Liverpool fans about Gerrard but I'm sure fans of other teams could comment, but if you had a choice between Alonso or Gerrard, who would you pick....???

Maybe a poll could start out of this but I would take Alonso any day.

On purely Footbaling terms it would have to be Gerrard as he is the proven premiership player. Alonso looks to be an excellent signing but i would wait until after his second season to make a final opinion on him.

In the overall interest of the club and taking into consideration the need to generate income to finance new signings I would cash in on Gerrard and keep alonso if no other options to raise the necessary money was available.

mayordenis wrote:
    but that was argueably are best performance for 5 years on wednesday night and no stevie
    I thought we were poor on Wednesday (of course I'm delighted with the result). The goal we conceded wasn't the only chance they had so the defence was far from tight. Also we've played far better on previous occasions but failed to get the ball in the net. Good but not great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

mayordenis wrote:
    maybe xabi and igor can make an excellent midfield duo.
    Igor definately looks like he lacks confidence....maybe stevie scares the bejaysus outa him and he just bottles it when he's around. He certainly plays with more confidence when he is not around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

Lex Luthor wrote:
    Igor definately looks like he lacks confidence....maybe stevie scares the bejaysus outa him and he just bottles it when he's around. He certainly plays with more confidence when he is not around.

I think it's more to do with the fact that Igor can play a more offensive role when Gerrard isn't on the pitch and it suits him. When Gerrard is on the picth Igor has to play a more defensive role. As we saw last season, defending isn't one of Igor's better qualities

Advertisement