Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSP -vs- DS (So what ya going for??)

Options
  • 07-02-2005 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering what are everyone's opinions on the two new hand held consoles, being slightly leaning towards DS due to price, game range, wireless multiplayer and just the fact that Nintendo have made handheld consoles before unlike Sony, although the PSP can play movies and Metal gear acid look sweet, anyways was just looking to here what everyone's for.
    Richy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

already got a psp.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

Any feedback on it? What's she like? What games u got ? Is it heavy? How long do ya have to charge it for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Well for me the most promising is the DS, thanks to the likes of project rub, animal crossing, advance wars and of course picto chat. But it would be a completely different story if parappa the rapper and ICO games were announced for the psp, but they haven't, so I'm still looking forward to the ds the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The DS for me. Aside from the obvious huge price difference, it seems like Sony are only interested in making the more technically powerful system they can. Nintendo, meanwhile, are taking some real chances in a bid to introduce new and fresh gaming ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

im gona get both id say! i played a psp for the first time the other day. it was pretty damn sweet. although games so far are pretty crap it will pick up! graohics look sweet on it! STILLL havnt got my DS which i was supposed to have for christmas but my parents keep sayin their friends in america cant find it! bullsh*it! L.A is home to many a gamestop and ebgames and lets not forget walmart. lazy sheites

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭ViperVenoM

psp already in hand..and i think i made the right choice tbh ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

So very close to getting a PSP.

Trying to sort out Credit Card problems with play-asia at the moment. They dont seem to like you using a differant address then that on the credit card. :( ..I'm in work all day, I can hardly collect it from home.

PSP > DS.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Iv only ever been impressed by a handfull of PS2 while Nintendo have always entertained me with their stuff. So I have my DS in hand here.

Loads of promising games on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

psp for me. the prospect of watching films, listening to music and playing some killer games (gameplay & graphically wise) appeals to me. a touchpad doesn't make up for "slightly better then gba" technology, IMO :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

what he said^

and im not impressed with DS graphics really, seen some screen shots of mario DS, and ridge racer ? i think, very pixely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

only time will tell, when more games are out for both, but so far I have to say PSP (I have one). Neither console has super games yet, but there's some nice stuff lined up for the PSP (GTA, viewtiful joe, death jr, gt4).

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

PSP of course! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭DrEvil

Psp :d .... Mgs, Gta , Gt4

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,189 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

DS is on the way. Might get a PSP when the price drops and they release GTA (if it's any good that is ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

PSP all the way, my little baby is always close by

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ShevY

I bought a ds last week here in the US. At first I was a small bit skeptical(seemed awkward at first) but the more i messed around with the metroid demo the more i thought that it has some great potential for innovation.
    At the moment I only have the metroid demo and my GBA games. Nothing takes my fancy atm. But it's only a matter of time.

Basically you're pretty much guaranteed that there will be enough good games released to justify buying it. Of course, the same can be said about the PSP.

The PSP thought seems to have many more negative points.
    Price. What good is it for travelling etc. if the battery is so sh1te.

I will probably buy a PSP in march. I just hope it doesnt get the same series of crap games remade for it :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

It seems most arguments for the PSP (against the DS) consist of "OMG the graphics" just saying :D.

Anyway, DS all the way for me, just what I want from a portable, battery life, fun quick games, tiny load times, nintendo :p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

After March in any case, for the PSP, it's just been delayed. Probably April, maybe May?

My battery lasts nearly 6 hours playing Ridge Racers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Brock

my battery has lastest around 12-13 playing games on the ds, my bro brought it with him q'in for u2 tickets and he q'd from 5pm and was playing it most of the night.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Brock wrote:
    my battery has lastest around 12-13 playing games on the ds, my bro brought it with him q'in for u2 tickets and he q'd from 5pm and was playing it most of the night.
    LOL, I did the exact same thing. I was thinking it was ideal for the job. Queued for 12 hours and played my DS for alot of it. If there had been a few other peeps in the queue the wireless multiplayer would have passed the night a bit quicker.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'll be buying both but so far neither has impresses me. The PSP is the more powerful but the only decent games mostly consist of racing games that I'm not fond of, only like nintendo and segas racing games (although there is wipeout). Ridge Racer seems to be getting favourable reviews on the strength of the graphics alone. The DS really hasn't got anything that takes full advantage of its features and hasn't any stand out games either. I favour the DS because of its much cheaper price.

As for future games, the DS just edges it with the promise of mario kart, advance wars and castlevania. However it could all change when E3 comes around. Both machines have great potential but so far both aren't even close to fulfilling it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭tck

koneko wrote:
    After March in any case, for the PSP, it's just been delayed. Probably April, maybe May?

My battery lasts nearly 6 hours playing Ridge Racers.

6 hrs, hmm EDGE mag says they got 3.5 hrs, fishy!!

Well not 6 hours, but close enough (probably around 5.5, but it's been a while since I checked exact times).

Did Edge say if they had Wifi enabled, or anything else besides just the time? IGN did some tests:

http://psp.ign.com/articles/574/574557p1.html

Wifi will suck up power, turning up brightness, turning up sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I've ordered my DS. PSP doesn't really interest me at all. The games announced for it so far don't seem to be the kind of games that work particularly well on a handheld. Also after being spoilt for battery life with the GBA SP (I get 16-17 hours), it would really annoy me to have a 3-6 hour battery life like the PSP does. And a lot of the DS games I've seen so far look really good. I was playing Super Mario 64 DS at the weekend (my boss has one), and it just rocks. And Castlevania and Mario Kart both look great.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

Still torn between them. Favouring the DS at the moment but...

Whats the DS like to play for left-handed people? Are there many games that use say, the d-pad and the stylus?

I've tried using PDAs right-handed and found I was fairly useless.

I'd use the thumb strap thing left-handed too.

Has anyone had any experience using it left-handed? Don't want to get one and find I can't use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

The DS can be used left handed with the stylus, the four face buttons acting as the d-pd in that case. Was fine for me, and I'm a leftie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭ViperVenoM

i can confirm...

i get about 5-6hrs on RR too..its all bull**** ive read online..the nintendo fan boys are the funniest saying you get 90 min on RR..total ****e!..ive got 1 right here i can get a good 5hrs+ out of it and it charges in about 1hr 30...bah...i wish people would stop writing 2hrs or something ****e...

also i believe a european release for the psp has been held back..it was meant to be 24th march european and america..america still has it for 24th but i read somewhere we aint getting it till the next quarter now...dunno if they have ran out or something...

looks like ill be importing yank games! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

The DS can be used left handed with the stylus, the four face buttons acting as the d-pd in that case. Was fine for me, and I'm a leftie.

Thanks, for the reply. Good to know.

Advertisement