Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSP -vs- DS (So what ya going for??)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

*Apparently*, the PSP might not make it over here until September, due to stock shortages. Which might explain Sony's silence in the wake of Nintendo's announcement regarding DS european launch details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 paul_conway

Hey guys i may be selling my Nintendo DS. I have Super Mario 64 Ds, Feel The Magic XY/XX (Project rub), carry case, 2 pack of replacement stylus, a usb charger and an adapter. I got them from Lik-Sang.com. I may have to sell them cause i need the money, so throw up your offers and try pursuade me!

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Post a thread on the For Sale board. (€190.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

It's a shame Sony are being so damn quiet to announce european release, even though I am an avid Nintendo fan I would like to see what Sony have to offer, and it can only be a good thing if nintendo finally get some actual competition in the handheld games-yes their handhelds have been great in the past but this kind of competition can only push them to do further great things for games.....like the stylus.

September eh? That's pretty crazy, hearing april and june most places but i wouldn't be surprised if the rumours are right about it coming out in q3. I guess everyone can just be happy they are region free. I'm pretty surprised nintendo were as quick as they are to get the thing out so soon over here, it's not like them to show any love for europe-things seem to be changing as of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

And Nintendo are coming to Stephens Green March 11th/12th/13th (ie. launch weekend) with the DS roadshow if anyone's interested...
    Linkage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Wow, never seen Nintendo do anything like that before (that I know of). Probably pop along.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Probability of kirby NOT working that weekend = 0 though... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭tck

hot nintendo chicks showing off sexy hardware mmm

sold! i mean i'm there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭mar|<

the DS is the obvious choice for me... im wnt be another to list all of its features but they do far exceed psp(including battery) and I trust nintendo will back it up with some great games, four swords being one of them and possibly a port of conkers. plus the psp apparently has a crap frame rate in stressing games.

can anyone help me with this pic thing... do i type the disk directory in the prompt box to post a picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I have a DS with Super Mario DS and Feel the Magic, so far these games haven't overwhelmed me but the future seems new and bright. I'm using it mostly for its GBA compatibility at the moment.

Very apprehensive about the PSP. Only time will tell, I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Both. DS in hand since Crimbo, PSP I'll wait 'til releases firm up.

Given up on consoles, that just leaves portables & PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

http://www.lik-sang.com/news.php?artc=3565 :eek:

How do they get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

DS for compatibility but i've seen the line up for both and am not impressed.
    I didnt like mario 64 and i heard this mario is a remake. Maybe if ocarina of time was converted to DS, then i would go hmmmmmm

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

PSP for me, with a 1 gig memory stick to boot.

Why??? The prospect of playing GT4 on the train is too much to resist!

Also for listening to mp3's cos i'm too cheap to splash out for an mp3 player

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Going a bit off topic now, but who will be around for the DS event in stephens green? I think i'll take the 11th to head down.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i'll probably buy both

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Only really interested in the DS.

Sony games in general have never managed to grab my attention, so playing them on the move is of exactly 0% intrest to me.

As for the Mp3 and movies thing i also have no interest, i have a 1GB MuVo for music, and well, i prefer to watch my movies on a screen no smaller than 21 inches.
    but hey, thats just me.

Nintendo are kings of the abstract castle, and thats the kind of games i want to play on a Mobile format.
    Also, i like my battery life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

DS for me.

Nintendo have a history of creating fun games that I would love to play.

Either way competition in the portable game market is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

PSP, Im fighting my wallet over buying one on ebay!........ god it looks good! Ive a 1GB Pro duo already for my camera so that would be handy too!

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

the nintendo ds is for young children :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,189 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

hurrah! \o/ forever young!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Also, i like my battery life.

:rolleyes: This has been shown before if you ever bothered to read though the threads. You can get about 5 1/2 hours from the PSP while gaming. Check out the links posted to reviews. If people went on battery life nobody would ever buy an iPod.
    and well, i prefer to watch my movies on a screen no smaller than 21 inches. but hey, thats just me.

I like to watch DvD's on the 32" screen I have sitting downstairs, but I can't bring that on the DART with me when I travel to work everyday.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Winters wrote:
    :rolleyes: This has been shown before if you ever bothered to read though the threads. You can get about 5 1/2 hours from the PSP while gaming.

Why dont you try reading his post. He obviously likes haveing more then that out of his batteries. He wasn't saying the PSP is 90 mins or anything just that the longer it lasts the better.
    Winters wrote:
    I like to watch DvD's on the 32" screen I have sitting downstairs, but I can't bring that on the DART with me when I travel to work everyday.

Have to say 12" is about as low as id go for a movie and the idea of UMD movies is a joke. 1Gb memmory stick is grand and all but id prefer a harddisk player if I were looking for portable video.
    bounty wrote:
    the nintendo ds for young children

Incitefull, you should write for the Indo or somthing. ;)

Rew wrote:
    Have to say 12" is about as low as id go for a movie and the idea of UMD movies is a joke. 1Gb memmory stick is grand and all but id prefer a harddisk player if I were looking for portable video.

I've stated before I'd go for both (already have DS). I've also already got an Archos AV420, so the PSP will not be for video - but in respect of the 12" comment, this is going a bit like "it's not how big it is, it's what... you watch on it that counts" ( :D;) ).

Do try a good quality 3.8" and you'll never consider long commutes the same way again. Comments of the "I'm not watching LOTR on a 4" screen, only 32" will do" ilk are, IMHO, only proferred by jealous people :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I cant see many people being bothered buying movies on UMD anyway. The memory stick's is clearly the better option.

Saying your not going to watch a movie on a smaller screen then XX" is really just being silly. As I pointed out If your commuting for 2+ hours a day as many people do [well, in the city anyway] being able to watch a movie or tv show on a 4.3" screen is like heaven.

A lot of people seem to expect people to replace watching movies on their TV with watching movies on their PSP which is totally incorrect. The PSP is ideal for entertainment while commuting or waiting etc. Its not a replacement for watching movies on your TV.

What he said. Fair' nuff! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭ViperVenoM

i think watching a film on a psp is grand!

yeh ok its small but you dont have your head a couple of feet from the screen when youve got it on your 32" tv do you!

but no the quality of the screen..ive got a few trailers (advent children) and some epsiodes of red dwarf and they are encoded and compressed quite a lot so i can still use my 512mb stick for an mp3 player..and its great watching stuff on it...seeing the size of a ds screen though..i think thats a little TOO small tbh ..but it really is fine on a psp...

and sigh..battery life again, i watched a 30min episode on my psp last night battery went down 3%!..im dead impressed with the battery all the nintendo fanboys was saying like..2hrs and id already ordered it..was slightly put off but when i got it..dead impressed :D

the ds was a rush job to throw any competition at the far superior psp... until the gameboy adv 2 is released

bounty wrote:
    the ds was a rush job to throw any competition at the far superior psp... until the gameboy 2 is released

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

ambro25 wrote:
    :rolleyes:

pff... typical nintendo fanboy zealot

giant_rolleyes.gif

Advertisement