Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSP -vs- DS (So what ya going for??)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

:cool: And I suppose there's no such thing as a Sony fanbhoy :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

I don't think there's a way to stop the fanboy-isms in any thread with a mention of "vs".......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

well I just bought a PSP directly from Japan for 275 Euro, I figure it will be about the same price here, but Im very tempted with the DS long battery life, and some of the games are cool like Advance wars DS,

however I already have Advance wars for the GBA and Im not convinced the DS will be that much different or better except for the touch pad support.

On the touch pad, it really is a bold idea which could be really good but it depends how well its used in games, it could end up being just a gimic, I hope not

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

bounty wrote:
    pff... typical nintendo fanboy zealot

fanboy definition = who only supports/evangelises one device/one manufacturer (pick as appropriate). E.g. a Sony fanboy, a Nintendo fanboy, an Xbox fanboy, etc.

Ooops - rewind some - the thread is: "PSP v DS, so what ya going for?"

ambro25 replies:
    ambro25 wrote:
    Both. DS in hand since Crimbo, PSP I'll wait 'til releases firm up. Given up on consoles, that just leaves portables & PC.

Kindly bother to read the rest of the thread, next time around :rolleyes:

...typical muppet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

see i want a ds cause i know Nintendo will put ut some grat games but ya see the psp will be able to play more standard stuff like viewtiful joe and tony hawks and keep it looking good. VJ would look crap on a ds imo but it's still in development. cant see how they can implement touch screen but i dont think they should implement touch screen with everygame possible.

about the roadshow thing. it is here the day of release so it should be a great weekend in my job! ill head to stephens green on the 11th and check it out and enjoy the saturday and sunday in work.!

psp wont be released in an obscure month. consoles only get released in march, may and november and i cant see it being held till november.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

bounty wrote:
    the nintendo ds is for young children :rolleyes:

jesus christ, i hate when people say things like this about nintendo.

give a young child the game of zelda, mario, metroid etc

will they complete them, get the same value out of them as us adults would??

no they won't, just because nintendo games aren't generally got blood, guns, violence, sexual material etc does not mean they are for kids only.

Don't get your knickers in a twist, Cremo. Really not worth it.

"bounty" is evidently a Sony fanboy just out to provoke for a word fight - just look at his previous posts and contributions in this thread.

Cremo wrote:
    jesus christ, i hate when people say things like this about nintendo.

give a young child the game of zelda, mario, metroid etc

will they complete them, get the same value out of them as us adults would??

no they won't, just because nintendo games aren't generally got blood, guns, violence, sexual material etc does not mean they are for kids only.

Well I think the point is many of the high profile games are aimed at kids, but there are many excellent GC games which are adult oriented, I dont think Resident evil 4 is for kids do you?, the real probelm with the GC is there is just not enough games for it, if I want to play GTA on the GC I cant, pity though it would be awesome

not only is resi 4 not for kids, it's really not for the squeamish! some of the stuff is absolutely gross in it! (getting killed by invisible insects anyone?)

res evil 4 really shows what GC can do , pure genius

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

DS without a doubt sony only cares about power with their psp while games matter with nintendo easy choice
    and anyway psp is to expensive with crap battery life
    and its movies have regions like pal etc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

1huge1 wrote:
    and its movies have regions like pal etc

PAL/NTSC etc. arnt regions. They are the signal. In europe we use PAL which runs at 24.9 fps etc. NTSC runs at 29fps. Region coding is Region 1, 2 ,3 etc. like you see on DvD's to allow films to be released in differant locations at differant times. This is as movies are released in Cinema's at differant times.

Movies will be Region Coded similar to DvD's for obvious reasons. However, why someone would buy a movie on a UMD when they will probably be able to buy the DvD for the same price and rip that onto a memory stick and watch it that way is beyone me.

It might be worth Sony releasing a few DvD's with UMD disc's to get the ball rolling ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

The only reason I can think for buy a UMD movie is for playback at the PSP native resolution or possibly if the soundtrack has been tweaked for small speakers/headphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000980024404 tbh.

You can use software to resize the movie to fit into the resolution of the PSP also encode the sound quality to how you like it and such. It is as good as a UMD and probably a hell of a lot cheaper to use the Memory Sticks. Depending on the quality you want you can have a 2 hour movie from 200mb to 600mb+

Its not possible to encode a video at 480x272 (PSP native res) any film you do encode can be a max of 76800 pixels. 320*240, 368*208 or 416*176

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

ambro25 wrote:
    Don't get your knickers in a twist, Cremo. Really not worth it.

"bounty" is evidently a Sony fanboy just out to provoke for a word fight - just look at his previous posts and contributions in this thread.

yeh sorry i did get a liitle worked up, it's just when anyone asks me what consoles i have (i say all three) but then they go the gamecube is for kids, it just makes me feel like punching them square in the face.

i wouldn't of minded this time if it was backed up by proof take this example.

speaker1: "coronation street is the greatest program in the world"
    speaker2: "how it is?"
    speaker1: "i dunno it just is"

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Its not possible to encode a video at 480x272 (PSP native res) any film you do encode can be a max of 76800 pixels. 320*240, 368*208 or 416*176

Mmm. Disagree to an extent: you could, but it would involve a verylengthy chain of operations.

TMPGEnc lets you specify any pixel ratio you want, with proportional scaling, so you should be able to scale down ripped anamorphic pretty accurately, but it means DVD > Ripped Mpeg > Re-process for size > whichever format the PSP plays off the MemStick (using AviSynth and scripts, I figure, after TMPGEnc and with knowing which plug-ins and codecs to script when).

The PSP will refuse to open any video file that has more than 76800 pixels. No exceptions (yet).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Was in Game, and one of the store people was asked about the DS, and the guy replied "Well, the PSP will have more power, but the DS is made by nintendo" With that, the original person with the question nodded in understanding.

Have Game employees actually learned things now?! I was so shocked! So I took out my DS and let 'em all play on it, they were very pleased :-D

Showoff

:D

• Advertisement

Well, you know what Jenny says, if you got it flaunt it :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Well, you know what Jenny says, if you got it flaunt it :D

Im disgusted that iv had a DS for so long and had no one show it off to, I think Waterford is on the lower end of the "Handheld Gameing" curve, must move back to Dub ASAP! :D

Ciaran500 wrote:
    The PSP will refuse to open any video file that has more than 76800 pixels. No exceptions (yet).

Ah - my apologies. I thought you meant one could not encode video at 480 x 272 (130560 pixels), so my reply was in this sense.

I wasn't aware of the Sony limitation - that limit's a bit dopey, considering... unless Sony's been clever with the HW/FirmW to ensure you'll only ever get FS video on the PSP with UMD only(that is, until someone cracks/patches it, of course :D )

Hopefully someone will find a way to boot unsigned firmware soon. We just have to wait for some games eveloper to mess up and allow a backdoor.

Was in Game, and one of the store people was asked about the DS, and the guy replied "Well, the PSP will have more power, but the DS is made by nintendo" With that, the original person with the question nodded in understanding.

Have Game employees actually learned things now?! I was so shocked! So I took out my DS and let 'em all play on it, they were very pleased :-D

that sounds very familiar. was it dawson st?

so anywho, after college i popped down to dawson st to talk away to ye old work mates and found out every GAME store received a store console of a DS. so me being me I stood there fo about 45 minutes playing away. it only has what comes in the boxso thats just metroid prime. it took me a goodwhile to get used to the controls and im still a bit dody with them. i found using the stylus easier than the thumbstrap(on ;) ) for plaing and the jumping. Can wait to get mine now though cause i had great fun drawing stuff on pictochat, all i needed was someone to send it too :(

No, it was Grafton street.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Im just wondering about us/jap consoles, what is going to be the main differences with region's? will the games have different regions and will the UMD films?

Also where is the best place online to get games?

Sean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Im just wondering about us/jap consoles, what is going to be the main differences with region's? will the games have different regions and will the UMD films?

Sean.

games from any region will play on any region psp.
    UMD movies are encoded to a specific region. Japan and EU are Region 2
    US is region 1

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

It may just be me and the fact that im not a fan of sony on the whole but I wonder if Sony would have kept there games region free if it wern't for the region free DS/GBA etc. and I though Sony's wording was that for the fore seeable future they would be region free (ie not ruleing out a change in policy at some point). Im not suggesting they will do a u-turn, just wondering what people think.

Advertisement