Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cable Modem Network BRoadband Technology How Does it Work??

Options
  • 07-02-2005 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭

Anyone got a good websites on Cable "Coaxial" Broadband Technology I could look at, trying to do some personal research into it !

Thanks

D

BTW Any google it smart asses dont bother to post ! I comw to Boards for help usually get a good response........................... ;-)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

RTFM!! GOOGLE IT!! 1337 N00b! H4x04!! ;)

Try howstuffworks.com ... it's always my first port of call.
    How Cable Modems Work

Hope that helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

ciaranfo wrote:
    RTFM!! GOOGLE IT!! 1337 N00b! H4x04!! ;)

Try howstuffworks.com ... it's always my first port of call.
    How Cable Modems Work

Hope that helps :)

I will kick your arse !!! ;-)

Indeed you will :)

Any look with that link?

ciaranfo wrote:
    Indeed you will :)

Any look with that link?

Link is grand. Lots of info.

Glad to hear it :)

• Advertisement

Pros and Cons
    If you are one of the first users to connect to the Internet through a particular cable channel, then you may have nearly the entire bandwidth of the channel available for your use. As new users, especially heavy-access users, are connected to the channel, you will have to share that bandwidth, and may see your performance degrade as a result. It is possible that, in times of heavy usage with many connected users, performance will be far below the theoretical maximums. The good news is that this particular performance issue can be resolved by the cable company adding a new channel and splitting the base of users.
    Another benefit of the cable modem for Internet access is that, unlike ADSL, its performance doesn't depend on distance from the central cable office. A digital CATV system is designed to provide digital signals at a particular quality to customer households. On the upstream side, the burst modulator in cable modems is programmed with the distance from the head-end, and provides the proper signal strength for accurate transmission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

So one of those whingy gits who downloads lots and moans about the CAP limits is ruining it for the rest of us. :D

Advertisement