Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Central Heating oil

Options
  • 07-02-2005 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hope this is the correct Forum.

Just about to move house to a house with Oil, actually first time in this Gardening/DIY forum and fascinated by the eco-friendly heating, for the moment however I will need to stick with Oil.

The house is a 3 bed semi, boiler is outside, actually looks quite small, including its outside casing its about the size of a normal fridge.

So questions
    1. What type? eg Kerosene, I think there is another type?
    2. How much, quantity? eg 400 ltrs/yr
    3. How much, price? eg actually no idea here, €0.10 /ltr?

Oh any idea where I might get a jacket to insulate an emmersion heater cylinder?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

tlyons wrote:

Just about to move house to a house with Oil, actually first time in this Gardening/DIY forum and fascinated by the eco-friendly heating, for the moment however I will need to stick with Oil.

The house is a 3 bed semi, boiler is outside, actually looks quite small, including its outside casing its about the size of a normal fridge.

So questions

Oh any idea where I might get a jacket to insulate an emmersion heater cylinder?

:D:D:D:D
    1. kero or gas oil(diesel)
    2. 2000+litres a year
    3. 47cent/liter

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

tlyons wrote:

So questions

1. probably kero
    2. About 2000 litres/yr depending on how efficient you can run it (I get 1000 ltr in Feb/March and 1000 in Oct/Nov each year)
    3. Typical prices at the moment are about €430/1000 litres (Always buy in 1000litre amounts if your tank is that big, which I guess it is as it is cheaper than buying in half fills.) Always ring about 3 different suppliers..you will find some of them differ by nearly €20/1000 litres

You can get those immersion jackets in any DIY/Hardware/Plumbing store

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭tlyons

Thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

If you are really interested, it is actually possible to make your own biodiesel from vegetable oil (new or used). This is fairly environmentally friendly, because it is a non-contributor to greenhouse gases.

I understand it's a bit tricky to do, and it might not be all that economic, but it is definitely possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭tlyons

I've heard of that with diesel engined cars, I think Topgear did a feature on it a few years ago. Seems to work well and if you don't pay the duty, and use used vegetable oil from a chipper the cost is pennies per litre. There where concerns over the impact of fuel filters and injectors though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Vegetable oil is not diesel. You have to esterize it. There are various guides available on how to do the chemical process.

If you run your diesel car on vegetable oil, your injectors will clog up after a few months. Besides this, you would be committing excise fraud. Do not do this.

The same would most likely happen to your oil burner.

Unlike fuel for combustion engines, there is no duty payable on fuel for home heating, so you aren't doing anything illegal if you use biodiesel in your boiler.

If you were using more than 5 percent or 10 percent of biodiesel, you would need to have your burner retuned a bit.

The whole project would take a bit of research.

Advertisement