Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exams that are extended by 20 minutes

Options
  • 08-02-2005 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭

The official timetable states that both English and Irish papers, Geography, History and Economic History have been extended by 20 minutes in all levels.

Why did the Commission add 20 minutes to these exams? Just interested.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

I heard that you get 20 minutes with the paper at the start to read it. Then the answer books are given out and the fun begins.

You don't really end up with that much more time to answer. Will be handy for english, but not for irish or geography.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

well at my mocks we were given the answer books and the paper for 3hr 20minutes.

the reason it was up was there just wasn't enough time to finish the papers.

Geography is a major one you have to write 4 essay type answers in the orignal time (3hrs), most people thought that was a bit harsh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Cremo wrote:
    well at my mocks we were given the answer books and the paper for 3hr 20minutes.

the reason it was up was there just wasn't enough time to finish the papers.

Geography is a major one you have to write 4 essay type answers in the orignal time (3hrs), most people thought that was a bit harsh

In history you have to write 5 essay answers in 3hrs (now 3hrs 20)

Incidentally, in our school you only receive 3 hrs for the mocks for the extended exams... is this policy the same in other schools? I plan to attempt to address it at the only level I can (Student Council) and see what can be done about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I heard that you get 20 minutes with the paper at the start to read it. Then the answer books are given out and the fun begins.

Thats not correct, you have both for the 3hrs and 20 mins. The reason they were extended is simply cause 3 hours wasn't long enough for what was expected from students. They've done it for the last 3 years.

Reason school might have given 3 hrs could have been to fit in with lunch or hometime or something? Apart from anything else it's probably good because you'll have more time in LC and won't feel quite as stressful. Thats what I found last year anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

thats great news, especially for english! you never have enough time there. Geography too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I'm only doing English and Irish out of the five. Irish is a bit useless tbh (pass paper) but for English it's fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

You can finish the pass Irish paper in about 45 minutes, I decided to fill out the time in the LC and wound up with 2 ridiculously long essays (and an A2...)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i tell you, in the geography mock i had on wednesday last you definlately needed every second of that 3hrs 20mins

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

anyone doing Chemistry and Physics.
    Anyone else find that 3 hours was WAYYY too much time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭Caoimhe

Yeah I always finish Chemistry exams way too early. The one I got was stupid though, our teacher had to go through it and cross a load of stuff out because there were so many misprints.

• Advertisement
Advertisement