Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Technical Drawing

• 08-02-2005 12:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭

How's everyone (anyone?) getting on with this?

Personally it's taking alot of revision to sort everything out, but it's fairly unpredictable to say where I'll end up in June. Whether I'll master everything by then remains to be seen.

It seems managable but I still have my doubts...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

It's a subject I like, but I haven't bothered with revision and there is actually quite a lot of stuff to do. It depends which questions you study cos some years they make certain questions quite impossible or newish types which your unfamiliar to. The most annoying thing is the fact that there is no textbook so we have to rely on our own notes.

To cut it short, I'm hoping for an A1 come June.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

yeah, its all about keep doin the questions again and again imo. I should really be doing that. Have paper one in the mock tomoro and the only thing im worrying about is the time. 40 mins to do an entire question like!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

I'm now in 5ft year.. half way through. I do art, so I'm very used to using pens, pencils, neatness, artistic element.. etc.. I was wondering is it too late to start tech Graphics.. I've got some experiance with it btw..

Well I know in our school 5th year is just doing ordinary level stuff and then it changes to higher level in 6th year. If you did tech graphics or woodwork for the junior cert it would help with the basics. But really it's not something you can just learn by yourself, so you'd probably need a lot of time with a teacher.

Having said that, if you're set on, why not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

To start it, I would book myslef intoa grind school for like evening classes. I think if I was to do it, and over the summer aswell, I could easily catch up?

• Advertisement

Yeah sounds like you're willing to put the time in, if you are you'll be well able for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Shrimp, did you do TG for the Junior Cert? If you didm then you've only missed a term and a half of work, you could make that up with grinds and summer.

If you didn't, then you might have a problem, a lot of the basis of TD is in TG, so you'll have to learn a large chunk of the 3 year JC course first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Young Siward

If you're looking for an A1 in TD, make sure you know what they're looking for. That might seem a bit...obvious, but the marking scheme is really particular, with most questions requiring something like 30 odd constructions each worth a mark or two. Now's an excellent time to check these out.
    On paper 1, you should look at do Q1, but get in lots of practice on it. Just don't touch Q2 unless you're brave. Teachers' struggle at that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭OTliddy

I'm srewed for tech drawing. I can't do part Q1(c)...the quirky bit, and we have no textbooks for either paper. If i had the choice i'd go back and not do tech drawing cos theres alot to learn. Any help on whats coming up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I'm pretty much in the same boat since February. I did some study at that stage but once I hit the orals/practicals it screwed me up completely.

I was aiming for a low B but I'd be lucky to get even a low C at this stage.

I'm going to have to eat, breath and sleep Tech following Maths Paper 2, aswell as juggle Art History (wedged in between the two papers, thankfully, I know my Giotto).

• Advertisement

OTliddy wrote:
    I'm srewed for tech drawing. I can't do part Q1(c)...the quirky bit, and we have no textbooks for either paper. If i had the choice i'd go back and not do tech drawing cos theres alot to learn. Any help on whats coming up?

If you are doing intersection of planes, it is a good one to start with on paper I, but the 'c' part usually is a little tricky so I'd skip onto part 'd' and if you have time when you've finished the other questions go back and look at it. It's only worth about 10 marks, so it's nothing to bother too much about.

Quick question on the exam.

Is Tech Drawing corrected like Maths? As in, they give full marks to start off with and then dock marks accordingly? Are there attempt marks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭jacksie

you get the marks for what you do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Quick question on the exam.

Is Tech Drawing corrected like Maths? As in, they give full marks to start off with and then dock marks accordingly? Are there attempt marks?

They don't do that with maths except with the trigonometric equations where you have to do it all out to get the marks first, then they dock 3 marks for every answer you don't have or every extra answer you have.

I don't know about Tech D but my teacher knows everything and has never once mentioned this - they have marking schemes on http://www.examinations.ie if you want to check

What q's are ya doing? I'm doing 1, 3 and 7 anyway and sadly no.4 It takes sooo long!

Anything but 4! 5 and 6 definitely, then probably 1 if the part (c) looks familiar, and 2 if i can see the trick behind it pretty quickly. If not those last 2 then 3 and 7. Anything but 4! Two years of work resulted in me getting 13 topics ok but could I get that bloody question 4? Oh no!

- Solids in Contact
    - Conics
    - Oblique Planes
    - Intersection of Solids

The spare question being Intersection of Planes.

I'm doing questions 1, 3, 5 and 6 for Paper 1 and 1, 2, 5 and 6 for Paper 2B.

My shítty questions on each paper are Touching Solids and Roofing. I've acknowledged that these are going to fúck up on the day.

But that doesn't mean that I'm going to breeze through the other questions swiftly...

My shítty questions on each paper are Touching Solids and Roofing. I've acknowledged that these are going to fúck up on the day.

Lol, they're my best questions and favourite questions (aswell as mining and intersection of solids), for some reason I don't like intersection of planes even though it's piss easy (except for part c sometimes), but you gotta answer what you like...

Paper II

- Roof Geometry
    - Mining
    - Roads (i've only every done 2 questions so I'm not sure)
    - Perspective
    - Hyperbolic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Paper 1
    - Intersection of Planes
    - Solids in Contact
    - Interpenetration
    - Oblique Planes

Paper 2b
    - Perspectives
    - Mining
    - Low Saddle
    - Roads

Paper 2 is a lot easier than Paper 1, far better questions, I'm aiming for a B overall, maybe an A if paper 1 is decent.

• Advertisement

Am I the only person doind paper 2A(engineering applications)

OTliddy wrote:

I think so

OTliddy wrote:
    Probably. I heard you have to draw cross-sections of tractors and things...
    Paper 2 is a lot easier than Paper 1, far better questions
    Are you mad?! I LOVE paper 1; paper 2 was the bane of my life until about 2 months ago. Still not mad about it.

Mind you I've heard people say 2 is easier before so maybe it's just me... :confused:

I'd say paper II is a longer paper in general, however it does have some short questions...

Anyway for paper II I predict a roof geometry like that in '01, a simple hyperbolic, a perspective with a complicated yoke, an ordinary roads and a longer mining than usual (like find the true angle between the boreholes at A/B type thing).

I wonder if I'm right?

Breezer wrote:
    I LOVE paper 1; paper 2 was the bane of my life until about 2 months ago. Still not mad about it.

I take it back. I take it all back. Paper 1 was horrible. Well actually it wasn't really I just cocked it up. Paper 2 better be easy :(

Advertisement