Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving Simulator

Options
  • 08-02-2005 2:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭

As far as I am concerned, one of the biggest factors leading to the high level of fatalities amongst young drivers in Ireland is lack of driver awareness.

As my father always says to me "Young drivers just can't see danger !".

And ya know what, when I started driving back in 1989, I didn't really appreciate what he was saying - but he's spot on !!!

Which leads me to my point -

What is badly needed in Ireland are Driver Awareness Simulators.
    I recall seeing one (for the first time) some years ago on a BBC documentary.
    It was basically a computer programme which simulated driving along various roads and becoming aware of dangers/hazards ahead.

(Just the other night I saw another simulator on the German VOX channel, this time a full size unit about the size of slot machine, or those racing simulators you see in big arcades, the ones you can sit in ?!)

Imagine the difference it would make to our road safety record if all first time drivers had to do x amount of hours in a simulator BEFORE getting behind the wheel of a real car !

And the 'simulator' could be as simple as a CD/DVD played on a standard office computer under the supervision of a driving instructor !!

(The €50 million wasted on the now dust-gathering electronic voting machines, would probably have paid for 2-3 simulators for each county in the country!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Just imagine what would happen if they banned provisional drivers and made ppl take a set number of driving lessons and pass a real test (not an acting test) before being allowed to drive on a road.

Advertisement