Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.co.uk has expired... how long til i can register it?

Options
  • 08-02-2005 2:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm chasing a .co.uk domain name that expired on 28 November 2004. Normally it is about 60 days for a .com after it has expired, that it becomes available for registration by anyone. I don't know about the .co.uk's though! Is it roughly the same? I keep checking every day or two to see if it is available but no joy so far. Any way of simplifying this process?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

97 days from the expiry date, give or take.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

Thanks! Another month or so to wait! :)

If it's a desireable domain name, it's worth looking into SnapNames. They don't guarantee registration, but they can take a lot of stress out of the hunt, and they're probably more likely to get it than somebody hovering over a domain name, like yourself; should there be other hoverers that is. :)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

The previous domain holder also has a greater degree of leeway in reactivating the domain than with a CNOB

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

DJB wrote:
    Hi all,

I'm chasing a .co.uk domain name that expired on 28 November 2004. Normally it is about 60 days for a .com after it has expired, that it becomes available for registration by anyone. I don't know about the .co.uk's though! Is it roughly the same? I keep checking every day or two to see if it is available but no joy so far. Any way of simplifying this process?
    You could be waiting a while. The domain may have expired but when you see "DETAGGED" in the whois data, it generally indicates that the domain is up for deletion. From then on it is a case of catching the domain when it drops. You could also ask in the Domain Names Forum on Webmasterworld.com ( http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum25/ )- a lot of up to speed .UK people would be able to answer your questions there and advise you on how to go about obtaining it.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

I know they were awful about this a couple years ago John, but I'm pretty sure their procedures are a lot stricter on it now.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

dahamsta wrote:
    I know they were awful about this a couple years ago John, but I'm pretty sure their procedures are a lot stricter on it now.

adam
    They still seem to detag them and leave them in limbo

blacknight wrote:
    They still seem to detag them and leave them in limbo
    Yep a few domains I've seen have even been left detagged for over a year before being deleted.

Regards...jmcc

dahamsta wrote:
    They did improve things Adam,
    But the DETAGged thing is more of a problem because the original registrars have effectively removed themselves from the domain and there is nobody, other than the registrant, left to deal with the domain. From what I can remember, they are deleting domains more regularly now but there is a strong drop catcher market in .co.uk domains.

Regards...jmcc

Advertisement