Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dudes shaving their pits

• 08-02-2005 3:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭

ok, here's the story, I went to the Megadeth gig last week in the Ambassador, it kicked ass! but because it was an indoor gig, I, and everyone else, sweated like a pig! now, that didn't bother me too much. but since then I have been getting an underarm smell, not a really bad one. but no matter how much I was them, or how much deoderant I use, it comes back a few hours later, and I'm a dude who likes to wear t-shirts, no matter what the weather is like outside, I have a tee and a jacket on, nothing else, but I don't want to go back to wearing jumpers and stuff because of this problem, so I am considiring shaving my pits, is that really weird for a guy to do? I mean will it make me a 'fagget'?

dudes shaving their pits, right or wrong? 12 votes

right
    0% 0 votes
    wrong
    100% 12 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

The only thing that makes you a 'fagget' is if you like other men which isn't the end of the world in my humble opinion. Its your body do what you like with it. Granted I faced this same problem myself and decided not to go with the shaving option. I didn't do it because I knew I'd be too lazy to maintain it and it would just end up getting really itchy. I hate this Irish mentality that you're some sort of freak if you don't adhere to what is considered to be the current norm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Marts wrote:
    I'm a dude who likes to wear t-shirts, no matter what the weather is like outside, I have a tee and a jacket on, nothing else

that is an unpleasent image.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's not *that* strange I guess, but it's not something I've ever considered doing. Pop stars and the like would seem to trim theirs, so it looks manly but not unkempt, but in all fairness who the hell is going to look at your armpit?

As Thorbar says, I could see a shaving becoming very itchy, and if you "trim" a little too short, the stubble could irritate you, rendering you unable to use deodorant, and leaving you stinking anyway.

A good scrubbing in the shower with shower gel and/or shampoo should sort out the smell any road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

LOL! you know what I mean!, and I know you love it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

The idea of a man with shaved arm pits does not appeal to me for one but do it if it makes you happy.

However, you'll sweat just as much but it will run down your arms because there won't be any hair to hold it in place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

may be youve gone a little crazy on the spicy beanburgers & cant shif the smell of genetically modified garlic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Marts wrote:
    LOL! you know what I mean!, and I know you love it!

LOL! You fvcking oddball... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭cajun_tiger

i don't think shaving the hair of will get rid of the problem.. it isn't very nice to have stubble under there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭littlejay

would that not make them grow thicker or is that an old wifes tale
    the only thing id shave is my face . or her ahem ahem lol. u know what

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭ranDom_tAsk

wrong wrong wrong

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭*Sassy*

It could be just that your system full of toxins and needs some clearing out. Sometimes it happens if you're drinking loads, not eating properly etc. Your sweat can smell more unpleasant and urine goes darker/cloudy etc. (Sorry if that's too much info!). So try eating loads of fruit and veg for a few days and drink 1 to 2 litres of mineral water and you might notice a difference. I won't insult you by telling you to make sure you wash properly!

Wouldn't really recommend shaving for a bloke, unless you tend to spend a lot of time preening yourself anyway! It doesn't make the hair grow back thicker, it just seems that way cos the hair shaft is thicker closer to the root. It would just probably be a bit itchy and you may get ingrown hairs. And you have to keep doing it maybe every second day. One more chore you don't need!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

"If I had to put my money on it; I'd say it's a glandular problem." said the doctor to the man with his finger stuck up his ass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

seamus wrote:
    I could see a shaving becoming very itchy, and if you "trim" a little too short, the stubble could irritate you, rendering you unable to use deodorant, and leaving you stinking anyway.

umm, i dont get this... you dont think females have this problem? yet of course we're supposed to suffer for the males sake because they think it looks unpleasant. :rolleyes:

Seraphina wrote:
    umm, i dont get this... you dont think females have this problem? yet of course we're supposed to suffer for the males sake because they think it looks unpleasant. :rolleyes:
    Who asked you to do it? I didn't :)

no you didn't, no one asks.
    but a tenner says that if i didn't shave, 99% of guys wouldn't go near me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Jim likes his beer cold and his women hairy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭X-SL

ferdi wrote:
    that is an unpleasent image.

haha. good one :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I don't mind what a man does to his armpits so long as the hair doesn't have that weird gungy stuff I've seen on it sometimes...ugh that freaks me out!

I don't mind what a man does to his armpits so long as the hair doesn't have that weird gungy stuff I've seen on it sometimes...ugh that freaks me out!
    Weird....gungy stuff?

What kind of weirdos do you go for? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Am i missing something obvious here or have you tried a decent, preferably roll-on, anti-perspirant?

• Advertisement

seamus wrote:
    Weird....gungy stuff?

What kind of weirdos do you go for? :)

She is refering to the gunge that some deoderants/anti-perpsperants leave behind. Grab some Sanex and spray, come back in a bit and the armpit hair is all sticky and gungy in areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Seraphina wrote:
    no you didn't, no one asks.
    but a tenner says that if i didn't shave, 99% of guys wouldn't go near me.

Would you really be interested in guys who'd go for a hairy girl?

Thorbar wrote:
    Would you really be interested in guys who'd go for a hairy girl?

what is it some kind of disease?
    must remember that next time i see a hairy guy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

I had a similar issue.

I shaved them and kept the shaved for a month.
    Then it was gone when the hair grew back.

Also, I found no ichyness with the stubble at any stage.
    So I now keep them shaved, it makes staying fresh smelling easier.
    The last girl I slept with had longer underarm hair than me! (but not much, I don't like hairy girls - not that that would refuse if she invited me back to hers:))

Seraphina wrote:
    what is it some kind of disease?
    must remember that next time i see a hairy guy...
    Heh.

Lets be fair here. While most guys wouldn't be too pleased at the sight of a hairy girl, nobody is forcing girls to do anything. All women I know (you may be an exception dear) would say, "It'd be great not to have to shave under my arms", but at the same time, there's no way in hell they'd *want* to have hairy armpits.
    By the same token, they bitch about shaving their legs, but think having hair on their legs is disgusting.

*shrug*

seamus wrote:
    Heh.

Lets be fair here. While most guys wouldn't be too pleased at the sight of a hairy girl, nobody is forcing girls to do anything. All women I know (you may be an exception dear) would say, "It'd be great not to have to shave under my arms", but at the same time, there's no way in hell they'd *want* to have hairy armpits.
    By the same token, they bitch about shaving their legs, but think having hair on their legs is disgusting.

*shrug*

i'm not saying we're being forced, but who wants to be seen as disgusting cause they're a bit hairy? its perfectly natural. i shave myself, usually just when someone else is seeing my legs. yeah it feels nice but i wouldn't say the hair is unpleasant, and having been caught out on a few occasions 'getting lucky' when i hadn't shaved its not nice when you know the guy probably thinks you're gross and unhygenic or something.

what annoys me the most is that while no guys have ever actually said anything to me, the girls in school did. i mean what the **** is it their business whether i shave or not. between the socks and the skirt the most they could see was my knees, and i have BLONDE hair on my legs! still some felt the need to comment. /me shakes head in disbelief

Seraphina wrote:
    what annoys me the most is that while no guys have ever actually said anything to me, the girls in school did. i mean what the **** is it their business whether i shave or not. between the socks and the skirt the most they could see was my knees, and i have BLONDE hair on my legs! still some felt the need to comment. /me shakes head in disbelief
    Women have always been their own worst enemy :)

Most guys couldn't give a **** about a little hair on the legs or under the arms when they're getting lucky. :) So long as you can't plait it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Hey Seraphina, I hear you. And you're right. My best friend refuses to shave anything (except her head actually :)) simply because western men demand it. And she has had no problem finding men.

I shave, partially because of the social pressure, and partially because I enjoy the feminine ritual of it. It's great when you have time to do the whole works - shower, shave everything, face masks, body lotions etc. Then of course I like the results - supersmoothness, oh yeah.

But if I didn't enjoy shaving or the results I wouldn't do it.

So I say: girl, if you want to quit shaving, do it. You will still find men who find you attractive.

BTW - I'm surprised at you Seamus with your "we didn't ask you!" retort. You understand damn well that these kinds of demands exist on women whether you explicitly say, "Hello woman, please shave your pits, legs and nether regions please" or not!

BTW - I'm surprised at you Seamus with your "we didn't ask you!" retort. You understand damn well that these kinds of demands exist on women whether you explicitly say, "Hello woman, please shave your pits, legs and nether regions please" or not!
    I'm surprised that you failed to spot that I was just trying to get a rise out of Sera :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I think there should be an extra option in the poll, which is wether or not you trim...
    I don't shave, but I don't like having extra long hair under my armpits, so I keep them trimmed.. no big deal.
    It's nice to be well groomed in the right places :D

K.

Hey Seraphina, I hear you. And you're right. My best friend refuses to shave anything (except her head actually)

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Hey. She's pretty sexy! :)

seamus wrote:
    I'm surprised that you failed to spot that I was just trying to get a rise out of Sera :)

...touché, my friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,178 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Never noticed a guy with shaved pits. Either because I've never seen someone or because I didn't notice.
    Anyway, its there for a reason, to stop your sweating dripping all over the place. A anti-perspirant (not a deodarant) should do the job, I think I recall the Sure range being very good while working on the building site.

Also, there is no point in arguing about such double-standards, they exist for both sexes. A tit for tat arguement isn't going to change anything.

Women who dont look after themselves, are grungy, ugly, feminists.
    Men who look after themselves are gay.

Advertisement