Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help - looking at a used Mitsubishi Mirage

Options
  • 08-02-2005 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

For those used-car experts among you, can you tell me if this is a good buy of not:

Mitsubishi Mirage 96 Saloon, 1.3L, 150,000 on the clock, plenty of extras (alloys, spoiler, cd player, etc).

€4500

That's a serious mileage I know, but I've looked at the car and it looks great, very nice inside and out, and good condition. I have yet to drive it (and am hoping to bring along someone who knows more about cars!!).

But have you any initial advice on this particular model? I'm an owner of a 1.6L 1990 Carina with 276,000 miles, and I want something that will be as reliable but nicer to drive and looks a bit better - this seems like the perfect solution :)

ANY help or advice, however small, appreciated!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Paul (MN)

i personally think that it is way overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

Sorry, I meant 150,000 kilometres on the clock.

About 90,000 miles or so.

Still overpriced?

And how reliable are they? Compared to my auld Toyota Carina with 276,000 - which has caused me very little hassle in the few years I have owned it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

€3000 would be a better deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Way overpriced. Would you really consider paying €4500 for a 9 year old car that's not exactly high in the desirability stakes in a country where the used car market is slow to say the least?
    Downtime wrote:
    €3000 would be a better deal.

Even at €3000, it would want to be coming with a substantial warrenty.

alias no.9 wrote:
    not exactly high in the desirability stakes

It's a beautiful looking car though, especially with alloys, spoiler, etc. He has added a fair few extras. Would definitely try to bring him down to under €3000 though!!

I'm undecided.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Don't let your heart rule your head!

Look beyond the nice alloy wheels and spoilers, they don't add any value to the car they just make it easier to sell. You are buying a car that is 9 years old, you will no warranty as I assume it is a private sale and it is a Jap import that was never sold offically in this country. That might make it hard to track down spare parts such as body panels which may no longer be made for a car approaching 10 years old. €4.5k is way too much.

Since you got good service from your Carina did you not consider another one or even a Corolla?

Take a look at these:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=184961

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=180276

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Dagon wrote:
    It's a beautiful looking car though, especially with alloys, spoiler, etc. He has added a fair few extras. Would definitely try to bring him down to under €3000 though!!

I'm undecided.

He's living in a fantasy land if he thinks he's going to get back the money he spent tarting up a 9 year old car. How much are a set of second hand alloys worth? Cos that's all that they are now. I just ran a check on the VRT calculator on the revenues website https://www.ros.ie:/VRTEnquiryServlet/showCarCalculator and this is what it returned

VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX (VRT) ENQUIRY
    DATE: 08 February 2005 TIME: 16:30

STATISTICAL CODE: 40280887 (Vehicle first registered in Japan)
    MAKE: MITSUBISHI
    MODEL: MIRAGE CK - STANDARD
    VERSION: 1A 04DR / SALOON / MANUAL / PETROL ONLY /
    MILEAGE: 150000 KILOMETERS

The information requested in respect of the vehicle shown is indicated below.
    DATE OF FIRST REGISTRATION(MM/YY): JANUARY 1996
    OPEN MARKET SELLING PRICE:
    (applicable on enquiry date) €1683
    RATE OF TAX: 22.5%
    VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX:
    (payable on enquiry date) €378

Thanks Bazz, that's great advice. I was actually unaware that it was a jap model and that parts would be hard to find.

Yes, my head is telling me to go for one of the cars you have pointed out. I know it's the sensible thing to do, and will be much better in the long fun financially.

However, another part of me would like something new, different, a little sportier and more interesting to drive. And with a more imaginative interior design... something that is simply fun to drive and to use. Toyota Carina/Corollas are great, but I'd like a change. Even if it means getting a cooler car for a while and then selling it off for something more "sensible".

I've been looking at Honda Integra, Honda Civic VTEC, Corolla VVTI, Hyundai Coupe and even mid-90's BMW 316 compact. They all seem affordable, but then... they could be expensive to keep on the road.

If anyone reading this has experience with the above, please give advice. I'm on a low budget really (under €7000 for a car) and definitely need something at a low going/servicing cost, that is reliable. 1.6L or lower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

The parts wont be hard to find, its practically identicle to a Colt 1.3.

Having said that, for that money you could get yourself this - http://82.195.131.130/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=219757 .
    Certainly got the 'sportier' feel only 10000x more!

Body panels are not the same. Yes, mechanically it is the same as a Colt/Lancer though. You could be waiting a couple of weeks for a panel from Japan assuming they still make the part for a 9 year old model in Japan. A friend was waiting about 5 weeks for a wing for a 94 Celica, a wing from an Irish Celica wouldn't do because there was the hole for the side indicator in the wing. The Jap import didn't have side indicators in the wing!

• Advertisement

Dagon wrote:
    Thanks Bazz, that's great advice. I was actually unaware that it was a jap model and that parts would be hard to find.

Yes, my head is telling me to go for one of the cars you have pointed out. I know it's the sensible thing to do, and will be much better in the long fun financially.

However, another part of me would like something new, different, a little sportier and more interesting to drive. And with a more imaginative interior design... something that is simply fun to drive and to use. Toyota Carina/Corollas are great, but I'd like a change. Even if it means getting a cooler car for a while and then selling it off for something more "sensible".

I've been looking at Honda Integra, Honda Civic VTEC, Corolla VVTI, Hyundai Coupe and even mid-90's BMW 316 compact. They all seem affordable, but then... they could be expensive to keep on the road.

If anyone reading this has experience with the above, please give advice. I'm on a low budget really (under €7000 for a car) and definitely need something at a low going/servicing cost, that is reliable. 1.6L or lower.

Dagon,

Check this out, it suits your budget and above requirements.
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=191082

Just check the interior for signs of wear as Coupes of this age have been known to have bits of the cabin broken or missing. As its 1.6 insurance should be ok.

As an alternative have a look at the Ford Puma:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=193516

I know this one may outside your budget but you might find a 98/99 model within your budget, basically a Fiesta underneath so spare parts are cheap if needed. Alot of fun to drive and pretty stylish imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

bazz26 wrote:
    Body panels are not the same. Yes, mechanically it is the same as a Colt/Lancer though. You could be waiting a couple of weeks for a panel from Japan assuming they still make the part for a 9 year old model in Japan. A friend was waiting about 5 weeks for a wing for a 94 Celica, a wing from an Irish Celica wouldn't do because there was the hole for the side indicator in the wing. The Jap import didn't have side indicators in the wing!

you could just fill the hole, wing would be painted anyway. newer had any problems with japparts, they could be pricey but not hard to get.

i buy parts for european cars and they still do have to order them

anyway, i would go Honda or Toyota not fan of korean or ford sports car imitations

Advertisement