Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netstumbler?

• 08-02-2005 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭

ALright i dunno whats goin on but anyway.
    I have a centrino laptop and netstumbler 0.4 which picks up the hardware

When i start up netstumbler i get no active AP's always no matter where i am. I've been into Mcdonalds in rathmines and the public payphones there that are supposed to have the free wifi and neither netstumbler or the windows default app picked up any kindof signal
    My landlord has eircom's dsl through a wireless netopia router and i still cant get any signal when im 2 inches away from it.
    What am i doing wrong? Do i need SSID's? I tried ANY or MSHOME or EIRCOM using the windows clent and got nothing. Netstumbler doesnt appear to need an SSID - it just searches regardless.

Any help would be great. I just connected cat5 to the wireless router and i could get online dead handy

Oh yeah the guy in Mcdon hadnt a clue about the wifi there. Is it actually in place or did he just not know about it? i reckon he was a manager type there too

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Hi, is your laptop wireless card working? Has it ever picked up anything? Netstumbler should scan for a signal regardless of SSID as far as I remember, although I always used WiFiFoFum with PocketPC to scan for wireless signals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭joc_06

My wireless card has never picked up a signal but i presume it is working as it shows up in the device list as installed and also in netstumbler.
    It must be but is there any way to tell?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

see if another device can detect your laptop.

Easier said than done as i dont have any other pc's or know anyone with one. I'll try and see.

But ye reckon its a hardware problem not some setting in netstumbler or xp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

joc_06 wrote:
    Easier said than done as i dont have any other pc's or know anyone with one. I'll try and see.

But ye reckon its a hardware problem not some setting in netstumbler or xp?

you just said your landlord has wirelles DSL router, hense he must have a laptop or PC which he uses it with.
    maybe you shoul dgo to him and ask why you can't connect to his DSL router, and ask him to scan and see if he can pickup your laptop.
    it isn't a problem with netstumbler, unless you have started the scanning.
    try deinstalling the WIFI Driver and reinstalling it after a restart

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

joc_06 wrote:
    My landlord has eircom's dsl through a wireless netopia router and i still cant get any signal when im 2 inches away from it.

if you know his ssid or its an open connection and you still cant detect it ,
    then your wireless card is probably fecked.
    thats pretty much your testing done tbh -
    standing two inches from a conection you know is working and getting no signal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

have you got the wireless radio turned on? i leave mine off except for times when i wanna use it

I got it sorted last night and you're right carrotcake - i didnt have the radio turned on!!
    I was looking at the laptop on its side and i noticed a tiny little recessed switch that id never spotted before. I flicked in and guess what - i picked up his wireless router straight away!!
    Dont i feel like a fool!
    thanks

Advertisement