Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jimmy White becomes Jimmy Brown???

• 08-02-2005 4:52pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Jimmy is changing his name to "Jimmy Brown" in a new sponsorship deal with HP Brown sauce.

Story here.

It seems all legal too, after all he's done it by deed poll. What next? :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

celticfc wrote:
    What next? :D
    Jimmy Pink?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Apparantly he isn't allowed to use the "Brown" surname this week:
    White to remain White at Masters

Snooker's governing body has stressed that Jimmy White will not be referred to as James Brown during the Masters. White, who changed his name by deed poll after a lucrative deal with the sport's new sponsors HP Sauce, opens against Matthew Stevens on Monday.

"Jimmy White entered the Masters by that name and will continue to be known by that name during the tournament," said a statement from World Snooker.

"He will be called Jimmy White by referees and television commentators."

White told the BBC last week that he changed his name in order to help the game recover from its financial problems.

The statement added: "The name Jimmy Brown will only be used in relation to his promotional activities with HP Sauce, sponsors of the brown ball during the tournament."

Looks like he's thinking of taking legal action against the BBC about them refusing to use the "Brown" name.

From MediaGuardian:
    BBC in snooker name-calling row

The snooker ace formerly known as Jimmy White is considering taking legal action against the BBC if it does not use his new name, Jimmy Brown, in its coverage of the Masters championship.
    He has changed his name by deed poll as part of a sponsorship stunt agreed with HP Sauce and is insisting the BBC refer to him by his new name when he appears for his first match of the Masters against Matthew Stevens at 2.30pm today.

However the corporation says it will not do so - sponsorship of programmes is barred on the BBC and it feels that calling him Brown will provide backdoor publicity for HP Sauce.

White wants to be referred to as Brown, having changed his name by deed poll as part of HP Sauce's £100,000 sponsorship of the tournament's brown ball.

But the BBC has said it will call him White throughout its coverage of the event and it has backing from World Snooker - the body which stages the Masters - which has said it will call him White as well. Cable channel Eurosport is also covering the event.

Anticipating that his new name was not going to be used, White has already drafted a letter of complaint that will be sent to the broadcasters this afternoon if Brown is not used. The letter threatens legal action should they continue to ignore his new name.

"As you may well be aware from some of the media coverage over the past week, I have officially changed my name by deed poll to James Brown.

"I am writing to you to inform you of this and more importantly to ensure that in any references to me made during your broadcast of the Masters, be they verbal or visual or in captions, you always refer to me in the context of my new identity.

"As has always been the case, I am happy for Jimmy to be used instead of the more formal James. Therefore please refer to me as Jimmy Brown in all instances for the duration of the tournament," he said in the letter.

However the BBC is adamant it will call him by the name he has become famous with and that its rules banning advertising and sponsorship will not be breached by HP Sauce's involvement with White.

Radio Five Live is referring to him as White today and the BBC says it is justified because he entered the tournament as Jimmy White.

A spokeswoman for the corporation said: "We have had discussion with World Snooker to ensure anything shown in our coverage is within the BBC's editorial and sponsorship guidelines. We will refer to Jimmy White in our editorial coverage as that's how he's known to millions of viewers."

And World Snooker said today that the player entered the competition as White and will be known by that name during the tournament.

"He is referred to as Jimmy White in the event's promotional literature. He will be announced into the arena by that name and will be called Jimmy White by referees and television commentators.

"The name Jimmy Brown will only be used in relation to his promotional activities with HP Sauce, sponsors of the brown ball during the tournament," said World Snooker's statement.

Eurosport was contacted to find out whether it would be using White or Brown, but had not replied by the time of publication.

Meanwhile HP Sauce is reaping the reward of a barrage of publicity about White's name-change. He will keep the name for the whole of the event, and possibly the world championship, which has seen him take the runner-up title six times but never win. The savoury sauce, meanwhile, will remain emblazoned on the game's brown ball for the whole of the 2005 season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

so, the HP logo is on the brown ball.
    What next?
    Red - Heinz Ketchup
    Yellow - Colmans Mustard
    Green - Heineken
    Blue - Hudson Blue
    Pink - GAY Times magazine
    Black - Guinness (with a creamy swirl effect?)

Oh, and White... Helmans Mayo

On the pockets - Pot Noodle

lol, good 'un :D:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

it is funny and all, but it really highlights the sorry state of professional snooker these days.

I know losing tobacco sponsorship was a huge blow, but there has to be serious problems with the guys that actually sort out sponsorship deals for the sport IMHO.

I mean how hard a sell could it be to persuade a company to sponsor the game, it has such a huge profile on BBC2, at least 4 weeks a year pretty much non-stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Taken from the article above:
    The savoury sauce, meanwhile, will remain emblazoned on the game's brown ball for the whole of the 2005 season.

There is no HP emblem on the brown ball, is there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

No there isn't a HP Logo on the brown ball, we don't want snooker to turn into 9-ball. Snooker governing officials will never allow something like that, and if they do i'll eat my hat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

Dave147 wrote:
    No there isn't a HP Logo on the brown ball, we don't want snooker to turn into 9-ball. Snooker governing officials will never allow something like that, and if they do i'll eat my hat.

It's a done deal AFAIK,:rolleyes:

the brown ball will have the HP logo on it, but only for ranking(or League?) events, the Masters which just finished wasn't a ranking event I think.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Hmmm are you sure the logo isn't just going to be on that *picture* of the brown ball that was in the background during the masters? I agree with Dave147 and I'd be very suprised if they do that. BBC definately wouldn't show that. If they do it, I'll buy everyone a pint..(a virtual internet style pint of course...heh heh)

• Advertisement
Advertisement