Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Fanatics

Options
  • 08-02-2005 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

Picture this;

Case 1:
    A montisory school in Connamara. Most kids attending this school are bi-lingual (Irish/English). Becouse of complaints from parents the class is split in two Irish speakers only in one part and Bi-lingual in another. One particular child had to be moved out of the Irish only side becouse of further complaints from parents (it was reported that the child spoke english sometimes).

Case 2:
    Block of apartments built in a connamara village by a private contractor.
    A condition of the planning permission was that most of the purchasers had to prove that they are Irish speakers or they are not allowed to buy.

In my opinion this carry on is discriminatory, elitist and racist.
    These knuckle heads are in charge of promoting our language, I say shame on them, they are the reason that our beautifull language has declined.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

bbbaldy wrote:
    Case 2:
    Block of apartments built in a connamara village by a private contractor.
    A condition of the planning permission was that most of the purchasers had to prove that they are Irish speakers or they are not allowed to buy.

they had to drop the price on those from (i think) 295,000 to 260,000... becuase no one wanted them...

they have to have an irish speaker in them for the next 10 years...

still no one has applied for the irish test for them.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

Its a dead old language. The proof of something is the market place. I have yet to see an Irish language magazine or newspaper in a newsagents. In all my years, I have never heard anyone speaking Irish except on RTE and at school. And yet all this money is wasted on the language the whole time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭abccormac

Foinse (irish language newspaper) is widely available

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

true wrote:
    Its a dead old language. The proof of something is the market place. I have yet to see an Irish language magazine or newspaper in a newsagents. In all my years, I have never heard anyone speaking Irish except on RTE and at school. And yet all this money is wasted on the language the whole time.

There is quite a few irish language magazines out there.. you just have to open your eyes. An tUltach and Comhar (was another one - does it still exist?).

In the University of Ulster (Coleraine Campus) - IIRC 40+ students started first year there (2004), so it is petty strong up north here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

In the University of Ulster (Coleraine Campus) - IIRC 40+ students started first year there (2004), so it is petty strong up north here.

I bet some of them are making a particular political/cultural point.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

I think they are making a social point.. like most students. (e.g. drink)

I think they are making a social point.. like most students. (e.g. drink)

Its about all they will find Irish good for - chatting to themselves while drunk.

On the subject of magazines, I have been in newsagents probably about 15,000 times in my life and bought tens of thousands of various different magazines and newspapers over the years , but I never saw an Irish one or heard anyone talking in Irish, never mind saw anyone buying an Irish language publication. Maybe I have just a grudge against the language as it was beat in to me at school. Not to mention the unfair system of needing Irish to pass the leaving in them far away days.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭gom

Hi folks

While I fully support the promotion of Gaeilge as a language I am not in anyway positive about the current teaching methods or language policies that are justified by the government and various interest groups as necessary to promote Gaeilge. In many ways government policy is too weak and school based policy is miss directed.
    I'd like also to state that I changed my name last october by deed poll to its Gaeilge version, e.g. "Graham Mooney" became "Graham Ó Maonaigh". Not that it proves anything.

This very night I almost found myself needing to fight a motion that was presented to Trinity College Students Union by its Irish officer and Deputy President.
    The wording of the motion to the Student Union is as follows:
    1. Proposal for Schedule 13
    The aim of this policy is to support the use of the Irish language in the
    Students’ Union, in Trinity, and generally. The Union believes that the rights
    of Irish-speakers must be upheld and promoted in all Union activities, and
    thus hereby recognises the Irish language, English language, and Irish Sign
    Language (ISL) as official languages of the Students’ Union.
    1. The Union shall ensure that:
    (a) Every permanent sign purchased by the Union will be bilingual
    (b) Temporary signs/posters shall be bilingual as far as possible
    (c) All union forms and documents will be available in both languages
    (d) Union staff & officers will be encouraged to initiate communication with
    students and the general public in Irish (e.g. bilingual telephone greetings,
    etc.)
    (e) communications with College be in Irish where feasible, in particular
    following from the implementation of the Official Languages Act
    (f) All sabbatical officers take responsibility for implementing this policy
    within their own remit, subject to the advice and guidance of the Executive
    and Oifigeach na Gaeilge
    2. The Union shall campaign for:
    (a) full compliance by the College with the Official Languages Act
    (b) the encouragement of the use of the Irish language among students and
    staff
    (c) more Irish classes to be made available, and better promoted
    (d) the increased use of Irish in College publications
    (e) the rights of Irish speakers, nationally and locally, to communicate
    through the language of their choice
    3. The use of the Irish language at Council meetings shall be encouraged and
    supported, provided that written motions are provided in both Irish and
    English. In accordance with Schedule 11, the use of ISL (Irish Sign
    Language) will continue to be promoted at Council meetings.
    Proposed: Kevin O’Brien, Oifigeach na Gaeilge
    Seconded: Ruth Ní Eidhin, Deputy President

Taken from TCD statistics website
    Of the 15,511 students registered in 2002/03:
    87% were Irish
    7% were European (EU)
    3% were North or Central American
    3% were from other parts of the world
    Therefore we can take that there was 13,495 Irish-nationality students in Trinity College in 2002/2003.

The following information is taken from the CSO website
    No Ability to Speak Irish in 2002 Census = 2,097,263
    Ability to Speak Irish in 2002 Census = 1,570,894
    Therefore, 57.17% of the Irish population that responed to the Census in 2002 have no ability to speak Irish

On this information we can deduce the following :

7,715 Irish TCD students have NO ability to speak Irish(based on CSO and TCD figures)
    5,780 Irish TCD students have an ability to speak Irish(based on CSO and TCD figures)

So not only are Irish speakers a minority nationally, They only represent 37% of Trinity College Students which is roughly the exact same as the national figure and seen as the average age of a trinity student is much lower than the national average it is reasonible to assume that the figure of those with the ability to speak Irish ia actually less than 37% of the student population.

Sorry for all the crazy statistics. Essentially I support Gaeilge language promotion policies, but the Student Union of Trinity College is there to represent the students of TCD not the nation or asperations of SF, FF or any Gael Gaor societies.
    The above motion could not be voted on by the Student Union council as it had not reached its quota. It will be put again to the SU council next week.

If this passes essentially this will act as a huge barrier to entry to non-Irish speakers and especially any one who is an international student.

Currently there is a candiadate running for election in the Student Union Sabbathical elections in Trinity College is an international student and is viewed by many as the favorite. If elected and the motion is passed at next SU council, he will have to learn Irish fast and speak in it as his primary language all because of some short sighted Gaeilge fanatics

P.s. Sorry Kev and Ruth. I'm not out to get either of you but this is a major issue

I have to agree with you there, Gom. Its way over the top. I think signs in two languages are distracting and ugly looking, especially when everyone just goes by the English writing anyway. And what about the extra cost of these signs, printing, leaflets, forms etc. What about the Irish students from N. Ireland who do not know any Irish? Some of them can already feel alienated enough as it is. Queens university went down this road some time ago and it was a big mistake. Its not the way to promote a language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Its a pity that there is no stat of those who spoke irish in their past, ie childhood at school.

Even through disastrous teaching methods, I used to speak a small bit of it but now all of it is forgotten ! (i'm not part of 37%)
    If there ever was a resurgence, i would be all for it and learn that bit more to pick it up
    It would be nice to have a language that helps gives us an identity in the eu like joe soap from finland uses finnish(random country picked)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭gom

This section is the particularly strong wording which I am suprised to see so comprehensively drawn up is quoted below.
    1. The Union shall ensure that:
    (d) Union staff & officers will be encouraged to initiate communication with
    students and the general public in Irish
    (e.g. bilingual telephone greetings,
    etc.)
    (e) communications with College be in Irish where feasible, in particular
    following from the implementation of the Official Languages Act

The section in bold has the biggest and most immediate impact. Section 1.e is also an issue. Taking the wording as above facilitates anyone outside the Union but the union officer is expected to use Irish before English in all situations except where the other person does not wish to use Irish but only after the union officer has attempted to use Irish first...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

mike65 wrote:
    I bet some of them are making a particular political/cultural point.

Mike.

Quite a few Unionists and Loyalists have taken the time to learn Irish. Certainly Gusty Spence, leader of the UVF in the Maze prison when he was incarcerated there, had a fainne. And I believe the UUP's McGimpsey brothers have a cupla focail as well.

I take the point that many of the people who spoke Irish and tried to ram it down our throats have done more to turn people off the language than ecourage its use. But I still think we'd miss it if it went permanently.

There was a thread a couple of pages long about this. Was there any new information that suggests a change in viewpoint?
    In my opinion this carry on is discriminatory, elitist and racist.

And in my opinion its not. To buy a IE domain name you have to show a legal right to the domain name and that your business has direct dealings with Ireland. This is an Irish domain. So, is that discriminatory, elitist and racist?

To live in Australia and the US pernamently there are a number of factors that you need to prove before you're allowed to settle in. Its not considered discriminatory, elitist or racist, so why should this?

No. Its not. Neither is this.
    true wrote:

Its not a dead language. Or are you going to tell me that my relatives from the area of Oughterard, don't speak Irish at all. Honestly, the only way I has to speak to them was my leaving cert Irish.

My Dad also did his college degree in Galway in Irish.

As for magazines, I have no idea. I don't look out for them.

regards the money wasted, I again disagree. Its part of our Irishness, and I'm proud that I have my own language. There's worse things in ireland that money is spent on in my views, but then again people would oppose my removing of the funding for them.

Thing is, I learnt German in school. I can't speak more than three words of it now. Should German be abolished also, because I don't have any use for it?
    Gom wrote:
    Therefore, 57.17% of the Irish population that responed to the Census in 2002 have no ability to speak Irish

i'd like to see how they determined that they have no Irish or what qualified someone as having the language.

I was brought up speaking Irish at home. Does that mean I'm fluent now? No. Its not part of my daily life, however, if i'm immersed in it for a few hours I can pick it up quite quickly.

Does that mean I can or can't speak Irish?
    True wrote:
    I think signs in two languages are distracting and ugly looking, especially when everyone just goes by the English writing anyway. And what about the extra cost of these signs, printing, leaflets, forms etc. What about the Irish students from N. Ireland who do not know any Irish? Some of them can already feel alienated enough as it is.

Signs. Go to Wales and you'll see the welsh language on sign posts. The same for Scotland. But everyone speaks english. Its part of our history to have Irish there, and I'd be inclined to leave it there.

N.Irish students. - Who cares? I don't that they don't understand Irish. They're the same as spanish, german or US students that come over here. There is no difference, and I don't see how they relate to the question at hand.
    I take the point that many of the people who spoke Irish and tried to ram it down our throats have done more to turn people off the language than ecourage its use. But I still think we'd miss it if it went permanently.

exactly. It was rammed down our throats, and its done more bad than good. There's no use for it in Daily life, unless you're living in Gaelteacht areas.

And this is the point. This housing development was built in an Irish speaking community. It was not built in the middle of Tallaght. Its not likely to ever be applied to speaking areas. So its not, discriminatory, elitist or racist.

And I know I'd be disappointed with the Irish people if they removed the language completely. Otherwise what link do we have with our Irishness.....?

Of those who can speak Irish I wonder to what level they can and if they actually do so, the latter point is surely the most important.

Mike.

Of those who can speak Irish I wonder to what level they can and if they actually do so, the latter point is surely the most important.

Its an odd one. My whole family can speak Irish. They're all teachers, so they have to. Do they speak Irish at home? Nope. Not all all, but they can speak it.

however, if they go west to Galway, they're likely to speak irish with my relations. Some of these are quite old, and don't have more than a few words of English, and some will be fluent in both languages. I do know that the area my Dad is originally from the people will speak irish among their friends, and will be able to speak some english for bills or in the shops.

This is admittedly bogland area, with the closest shop being 10-15 miles away. Still Ireland though. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

There was a thread a couple of pages long about this. Was there any new information that suggests a change in viewpoint?

Yeah, I recall that thread - theres no new information to indicate a change in viewpoint for me at least. As I remember suggesting, the bigotry implied by the language test for the appartments would only harm the seller by limiting his demand. Im glad to hear - from Jhegarty - that the free (ish anyway) markets are again punishing bigotry, forcing the seller to drop his price from 295k to 260k apparently. Hurrah for capitalism.
    Thing is, I learnt German in school. I can't speak more than three words of it now. Should German be abolished also, because I don't have any use for it?

Im sorry, when did German get installed as our national language absorping hundreds of millions that could be better spent on erradicating poverty in Ireland? I thought they lost the war?!?

Mind you, German is as about as widely spoken in Ireland as Irish so to answer your question - yeah!
    I was brought up speaking Irish at home. Does that mean I'm fluent now? No. Its not part of my daily life, however, if i'm immersed in it for a few hours I can pick it up quite quickly.

A friend of mine is working in Switzerland - hes moved from basic german learned in night courses to being pretty much fluent in a few months of being immersed in it. The point being people can of course pick up languages if theyre part of their daily life. Irish is not part of anyones daily life outside of tiny, tiny parts of Ireland. If it was part of our daily lives it would require as much deliberate funding/promotion as the English language. My friend was also grateful that his command of German was not a factor in determining his right to enter, work or rent property in Switzerland as his first few months were extremely difficult.
    And this is the point. This housing development was built in an Irish speaking community. It was not built in the middle of Tallaght. Its not likely to ever be applied to speaking areas. So its not, discriminatory, elitist or racist.

So, it would have been okay in say 1993 - before the sudden influx of asylum seekers that accompanied economic prosperity arose - to stipulate only people who could demonstrate they were of Irish descent could buy houses in some particular development because it was thought unlikely at that time that anyone of non-Irish descent would be interested in buying them?

If thats the case whats the rationale for the ban again? Stopping people from buying property they have little interest in buying?

And in my opinion its not. To buy a IE domain name you have to show a legal right to the domain name and that your business has direct dealings with Ireland. This is an Irish domain. So, is that discriminatory, elitist and racist?

To live in Australia and the US pernamently there are a number of factors that you need to prove before you're allowed to settle in. Its not considered discriminatory, elitist or racist, so why should this?

That is not relevant to forcing certain people in Trinity to speak and read words of Irish.
    Its not a dead language. Or are you going to tell me that my relatives from the area of Oughterard, don't speak Irish at all. Honestly, the only way I has to speak to them was my leaving cert Irish.

My Dad also did his college degree in Galway in Irish.
    As for magazines, I have no idea. I don't look out for them.

OK, it may not be dead, but it is 99.9% dead. If you dad did his college degree in Galway in Irish good for him. If he is an Irish teacher he will have a use for it, otherewise its as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike.
    If you never noticed magazines, you will hardly have noticed that to all intents and purposes all magazines for sale in the country are English language, not Irish language.

regards the money wasted, I again disagree. Its part of our Irishness, and I'm proud that I have my own language. There's worse things in ireland that money is spent on in my views, but then again people would oppose my removing of the funding for them.

Its not part of my Irishness. I am proud I have my own language. The Americans and Australians are proud they have their own language as well. Its called English. Quite an asset to have when you go out in to the big, bad world, as your grandparents would know. Of the billions that has been spent on Irish, what is the worse thing billions has been spent on, do you know ?

As regards German, you must have a bad memory or a bad teacher to only remember three words of it. Very few Irish people know any German. On an Aer Lingus plane to Germany a few years ago I found even the Aer Lingus air hostess did not know any. We Irish are very bad at continental languages because such time and emphasis is put on Irish. We should spend more time and effort on French and German and less on Irish.

Does that mean I can or can't speak Irish?

To be honest, I do not care. You have a right to speak Irish if you want to, anywhere. Just dont insist on forcing it on everyone else so much, at their expense. And telling them its good for them.

Signs. Go to Wales and you'll see the welsh language on sign posts. The same for Scotland. But everyone speaks english. Its part of our history to have Irish there, and I'd be inclined to leave it there.

Agreed. But we dont need more bloody Irish.

N.Irish students. - Who cares? I don't that they don't understand Irish. They're the same as spanish, german or US students that come over here. There is no difference, and I don't see how they relate to the question at hand.

oooooh. Many people would not share your opinion that Northern Irish students are the same as spanish, german or US students that come over here. What about cherishing all children of the nation ? By discouraging certain section of the Northern community ( some of whom have come to Trinity over the years ) by new rules insisting on them being spoken to in Irish first etc etc ...its ridiculous. Compulsory new signs in Irish there would be a waste of money when people are on trolleys in hospital corridors, plus I think it would take away from a bit of Trinitys atmosphere / heritage / call it what you will. What suits Gallimbh / Galway may not suit Dublin in 2005.

One more point. Many peoples lives and careers were seriously fu..ed up in this country because they did not pass Irish in the leaving, and they had good enough grades in other subjects to get in to UCC, UCG, UCD etc. There was a silly law insisting people had to have a pass in Irish. Maybe its changed nowadays, but that was the position decades ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

signs, shouldnt more (or alot of them) signs be symbols, internationaly recognised, and intuitive?

well done gom, i dunno is there ever a way to have SU's prevent committee members forcing through pet projects.

sand wrote:
    Im glad to hear - from Jhegarty - that the free (ish anyway) markets are again punishing bigotry, forcing the seller to drop his price from 295k to 260k apparently. Hurrah for capitalism.

Its no different than certain private schools having restrictions on the type of people that can attend, or the points system for Trinity. Its not bigotry, its just another part of capitalism. Money talks.

If there was no alternative to the property in the region, then yes, i'd tend to agree with you. But there are plenty of housing developments in the region to choose from.
    Sand wrote:
    Im sorry, when did German get installed as our national language absorping hundreds of millions that could be better spent on erradicating poverty in Ireland? I thought they lost the war?!?

My point being that there are a number of subjects that investment has been made into, that don't have a necessary function like maths. Irish is our national language, and as such deserves the investment as per our education system.

Regards the Gaelteacht, I'm in favour of its abolishment, since i don't think it serves any purpose now.
    Sand wrote:
    My friend was also grateful that his command of German was not a factor in determining his right to enter, work or rent property in Switzerland as his first few months were extremely difficult.

As far as i'm aware there is no requirement for a foreign national to know Irish to enter Ireland, work or rent property. The only exception is in regards to government jobs. Which makes sense, since they're representing the nation as part of their jobs.
    Sand wrote:
    So, it would have been okay in say 1993 - before the sudden influx of asylum seekers that accompanied economic prosperity arose - to stipulate only people who could demonstrate they were of Irish descent could buy houses in some particular development because it was thought unlikely at that time that anyone of non-Irish descent would be interested in buying them

Again you're blowing it out of proportion. This is not affecting Ireland as a whole. Its affecting a very small part of Galway. A single property investment. Not any large scale investment that excludes large numbers of individuals. If it was excluding large numbers of people over a decent area of territory, I'd be inclined to agree with you. But it doesn't. there are still plenty of developments in the area to choose from.
    True wrote:
    That is not relevant to forcing certain people in Trinity to speak and read words of Irish.

Actually if you had read it properly you would have seen it as being a reference to Irish in Ireland. My comments about Trinity came later.
    True wrote:
    OK, it may not be dead, but it is 99.9% dead. If you dad did his college degree in Galway in Irish good for him. If he is an Irish teacher he will have a use for it, otherewise its as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike.

99.9% dead? You joking? Even by Goms reference, 42.83 % of Irish people have some ability to speak Irish. Hardly a dead language. Just not a popular language.
    true wrote:
    Its not part of my Irishness. I am proud I have my own language.

Ok. But WHY are you proud of having your own language? What makes it different to being English or any other english speaking country?
    true wrote:
    Quite an asset to have when you go out in to the big, bad world, as your grandparents would know. Of the billions that has been spent on Irish, what is the worse thing billions has been spent on, do you know ?

has there really been Billions spent on the Irish language? Yikes. But to be honest I prefer money being spent of the Irish language than money being spent on Travellers. Difference of opinions as to where our tax money is spent.

As for the big bad world, I'm 27 hitting 28, and I've worked/lived abroad. I'm no stranger to other countries.
    True wrote:
    As regards German, you must have a bad memory or a bad teacher to only remember three words of it.

<shrug> Its ten years since my leaving cert, and I've been working 7 years of them. How many years since your leaving cert?
    true wrote:
    We Irish are very bad at continental languages because such time and emphasis is put on Irish. We should spend more time and effort on French and German and less on Irish.

Really? You have any proof of this?
    True wrote:
    To be honest, I do not care. You have a right to speak Irish if you want to, anywhere. Just dont insist on forcing it on everyone else so much, at their expense. And telling them its good for them.

you obviously didn't understand the quote.

regardless, to reply to yours, You have the right to not speak Irish. Just don't insist on trying to prevent everyone else from doing so, just because you're in the majority. Things change. :rolleyes: pretty much the same as you said, but from the opposite opinion.
    True wrote:
    What suits Gallimbh / Galway may not suit Dublin in 2005.

And yet, when Dublin reminds everyone as to how Irish they are, they're willing to do away with our language?

Regardless, Dublin is still part of Ireland. Its not part of England, and you have the same national language as us. In some ways Dublin is more archaic than other cities in Ireland..... *shock*
    True wrote:
    oooooh. Many people would not share your opinion that Northern Irish students are the same as spanish, german or US students that come over here. What about cherishing all children of the nation ?

What nation would that be? Ireland or the United Kingdom?

If they're British Citizens, then they're no different than any other nationality. If they're irish, then thats different.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

true wrote:
    I have to agree with you there, Gom. Its way over the top. I think signs in two languages are distracting and ugly looking, especially when everyone just goes by the English writing anyway. And what about the extra cost of these signs, printing, leaflets, forms etc. What about the Irish students from N. Ireland who do not know any Irish? Some of them can already feel alienated enough as it is. Queens university went down this road some time ago and it was a big mistake. Its not the way to promote a language.

They're only signs and people aren't going to get alienated by them any more than I get alienated by seeing Chinese characters on the signs of Chinese restaurants!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Teneka

true wrote:

You probably haven't seen an advertisement on billboards in Irish either?

Well, you'll be glad to know that the Chinese language has bet us to that. Check out the latest O2 advertisement.

Teneka wrote:
    You probably haven't seen an advertisement on billboards in Irish either?

Well, you'll be glad to know that the Chinese language has bet us to that. Check out the latest O2 advertisement.

There was that Hector one for the whiskey - spiorad iontach or some such thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

As far as i'm aware there is no requirement for a foreign national to know Irish to enter Ireland, work or rent property. The only exception is in regards to government jobs. Which makes sense, since they're representing the nation as part of their jobs.
    At least when I went to school, foreign nationals were required to learn Irish, although it was not strictly enforced. Irish was required to enter an NUI college, unless one was born outside the State. I have heard of certain limitations on non-Irish speakers purchasing land or property in Gaelteacht areas, but cannot comment on the validity of this. Irish is also required in many non-State Jobs (Solictors / Barristers), however many government jobs are open to non-Nationals (my father being a case in point).
    99.9% dead? You joking? Even by Goms reference, 42.83 % of Irish people have some ability to speak Irish. Hardly a dead language. Just not a popular language.
    I have some ability to speak Latin. I know a good few other people who have a similar ability in the language. Does that mean that it’s not a dead language?

On this note, these sort of fuzzy self-assessment surveys of Irish as a spoken language are pretty useless as a meter of the language’s true health. Are there any unbiased surveys of the use of the language as a primary or even substantial daily role in Ireland?

I have some ability to speak Latin. I know a good few other people who have a similar ability in the language. Does that mean that it’s not a dead language?

My condition for a living language (others may disagree) is that children are being raised speaking it. This is important from a linguistic pov as living languages are changing constantly and each generation reinvents a language to a degree. I haven't met many three year olds who could decline Latin nouns in natural conversation! (it would be cool, though)
    On this note, these sort of fuzzy self-assessment surveys of Irish as a spoken language are pretty useless as a meter of the language’s true health. Are there any unbiased surveys of the use of the language as a primary or even substantial daily role in Ireland?

Donnchadh Ó hÉalaithe made a good objective survey of the amount of Irish being spoken in the Gaeltachtaí for the newspaper Foinse recently (no online linkage, though). Outside these areas, it's a lot harder to make estimations as the census questions are far too vague.

I could rant along forever about Irish language policy in this country. There are some good initiatives in place but there's also a hell of a lot of needless bureaucracy, condescending tokenism, institutionalised inefficiency and badly-thought-out, badly-implemented planning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

simu wrote:
    Donnchadh Ó hÉalaithe made a good objective survey of the amount of Irish being spoken in the Gaeltachtaí for the newspaper Foinse recently (no online linkage, though).
    But is a survey taken by an organization or person who has a vested interest in the language being seen as alive and well really all that objective?

Albeit anecdotal evidence, but I once knew a girl from Gaeltacht area who was in college with me and only spoke a few words of Irish. She recounted a visit by an inspector who coached them during the test and finally marked the family down as Irish speaking, even though, by her own admission it certainly was not.

Ultimately there are a lot of people who’s livelihoods are predicated on the belief that the it is still a viable national language, so I would have to say that were I to look for objective figures, Foinse would not be my first port of call.

But is a survey taken by an organization or person who has a vested interest in the language being seen as alive and well really all that objective?

Ultimately there are a lot of people who’s livelihoods are predicated on the belief that the it is still a viable national language, so I would have to say that were I to look for objective figures, Foinse would not be my first port of call.

On the other hand, if you're serious about saving the language, you have to look at reality no matter how distasteful and get to grips with it. It's a while since I read about that survey but I remember Ó hÉ. went more along the lines of "this is how bad things are - wake up!" rather than trying to pander to his audience.

This (below) was all I could find on-line about it, though, so there's not enough information to debate the topic properly.
    There is a problem with regard to Irish at the moment. Irish language activists were greatly concerned by the recent survey which showed that less than one-quarter of the Gaeltacht population now lives in areas where Irish could be regarded as the dominant community language. The author of the recent report, Mr. Donacha Ó hEallaithe, is now spearheading a campaign to examine the boundaries of existing Gaeltacht areas. Several people are working towards forming a lobby group in regard to Irish in Gaeltacht areas and they are particularly focusing on a realistic redrawing of the boundaries. At present, areas are included in the Gaeltacht where no more Irish is spoken than in north Tipperary or Leitrim. There are areas in Galway city, and east of the city, which are designated as Gaeltacht areas, although Irish is no longer spoken there.

http://www.gov.ie/debates-99/s10mar99/sect3.htm
    Albeit anecdotal evidence, but I once knew a girl from Gaeltacht area who was in college with me and only spoke a few words of Irish. She recounted a visit by an inspector who coached them during the test and finally marked the family down as Irish speaking, even though, by her own admission it certainly was not.

Yup, it happens - I've heard similar stories. That's a stupid scheme though - my family spoke Irish in Cork City so we wouldn't qualify for it and besides, I don't think a few extra euro a year is what motivates people to speak Irish to their kids. It's an example of the type of ineffectual scheme that should be abolished.

At least when I went to school, foreign nationals were required to learn Irish, although it was not strictly enforced.

In my day if you were under 14 when you arrived you had to do Irish.

Mike.

Klaz said "Its ten years since my leaving cert, and I've been working 7 years of them. How many years since your leaving cert?"

Well, its considerably more than ten years since I done my leaving, and I can remember a lot more that the mere three words of German you admitted to remembering.
    Not that this matters much. Its in our tourist related industries etc that I see the effects of our pathetic school language system the whole time. When checking in to a well known hotel in Ireland recently, there was a group of elderly continental visitors ahead of me, who had little or no English. None of the hotel receptionists had any French or German, yet they had wasted about one seventh of their acedemic / school lives studying a dead language they will probably never use a word of again.
    I remember a similar story with an air Lingus air hostess some years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

true wrote:
    Not that this matters much. Its in our tourist related industries etc that I see the effects of our pathetic school language system the whole time. When checking in to a well known hotel in Ireland recently, there was a group of elderly continental visitors ahead of me, who had little or no English. None of the hotel receptionists had any French or German, yet they had wasted about one seventh of their acedemic / school lives studying a dead language they will probably never use a word of again.
    I remember a similar story with an air Lingus air hostess some years ago.

Your scenario can happen in any hotel in any country. It has happened to me in many a country the exact situation with little or no english spoken.
    Should the hotel receptionists know every language in the globe ? :)

Irish language is not dead, if so..why do Irish language schools(alot of them) exist then ?

Advertisement