Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worries about DS games...

Options
  • 08-02-2005 6:18pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

first off, this isn't meant to be another "which is better?" thread, there's plenty of those around the forum at the moment..

I plan on getting a DS when it's released over here, and I'm likely to get Warioware, Mario 64 and Project Rub with it, all three look like cool games, my only worry is that the DS isn't going to live up to it's potential due to uninventive or worried developers.
    Nintendo recently has suffered from poor quality third party games (I know Project Rub is Sega, that's an exception :D), and so far it looks as though the DS, at launch anyway, will do the same (I know Project Rub is Sega, that's the exception to the rule :D).
    While launch line-ups arent always brilliant, and often only offer one or two worthwhile titles, does anyone else think developers won't be bothered to do anything different with the touch screen, other than use it as a map or somethign? From what I can gather on games like Spiderman 2 the use of the second screen is pretty gimmicky, something Nintendo are obviously going to try to avoid.
    Does anyone else think the only REALLY good DS games will be nintendo stuff, just like on Cube (a generalisation, I know.. but mainly true IMO)

flogen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I agree on some games the second screen will probably be gimmicky, but on others it looks like it could be interesting. There's some quirky very Nintendo-esque games lined up, like Animal Crossing and Nintendogs (or whatever the new title is). Sims will probably make good use of it aswell, but I haven't looked at screenies specific to the second screen yet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

koneko wrote:
    I agree on some games the second screen will probably be gimmicky, but on others it looks like it could be interesting. There's some quirky very Nintendo-esque games lined up, like Animal Crossing and Nintendogs (or whatever the new title is). Sims will probably make good use of it aswell, but I haven't looked at screenies specific to the second screen yet.

one screeny I saw of the Urbz was of a turntable, I'm guessing the idea being you have to mix and scratch etc. That's a pretty cool idea alright, and hopefully the rest of the game has similar uses.. although I wouldn't buy the game even if it did.
    Aren't nintendogs (or puppy times, I think) and Animal Crossing Ninty titles?

flogen

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The sims is basically a port of the GBA game with some terrible sub games bolted on that use the touch screen.

Harvest Moon looks very interesting. There will be lots of subgames that will use the touch screen such as shearing sheep.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

one screeny I saw of the Urbz was of a turntable, I'm guessing the idea being you have to mix and scratch etc. That's a pretty cool idea alright, and hopefully the rest of the game has similar uses

Thats just the title screen. And it doesn't work terribley well if I've been informed correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Yes there will be bad implementations of it, and yes some developers will not bother putting much thought into it, but these are the games that exist on all consoles that nobody buys.

There will also be ingenious uses of the touch screen, and these developers will be rewared with our money :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Go to http://ds.ign.com/?fromint=1 and look for screens/movies of Pac-Pix, Warioware Touched, Yoshi Touch and Go, Castlevania DS, Kirby, Polarium, Mario Kart.... Hopefully third party developers will use the touchscreen for more innovation. Its going to be a fun year for DS owners (better than Ridge Racer 47 and Fifa 2004/5/6/7 and other soulless games on the PSP).

Yoshi touch and go looks spanking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

only popular gamecube games were made by nintendo, same will happen here.
    and since the engine can support cel shading, i sure hope we see a zelda !
    besdies DS can have fps games due to the touch screen, more multiplayer'ism/
    Although i do agree that developers will not want to waste alot of time making use of an extra screen just for one console.
    im for psp btw, ds gaphics dont appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I was a bit worried myself. With previous handhelds Nintendo have been dominating the market, and so any good handheld game would be on their system. But with the PSP I fear there won't be more games, just the games split across the two formats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Yoshi touch and go looks spanking good.

Catch, Touch Yoshi! is spankingly awful. It took me 3 minutes to finish it. Frankly the best feature is pictochat awarness. Basically if the ds detects a pictochat session nearby it will tell you and give you the option of exiting the game(which you will be more than happy to do after you spend more than a few moments playing it) and go chat because it is far more exciting than the game itself.

Zoo Keeper(dont listen to a single review because they are _all_ wrong) and Chokkan Hitofude are the best reasons to own a DS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Can I add "Daigasso! Band Brothers" to that list, DiscoStu?
    I've been playing it for an hour, and my hands hurt :)

Chokkan is great, but levels 50-60 make my head hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

TmB wrote:
    (better than Ridge Racer 47 and Fifa 2004/5/6/7 and other soulless games on the PSP).

Are some people just not capable of having a discussion about one console without turning it into a versus discussion again? Hmm?

Advertisement