Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Poker...sigh...

Options
  • 08-02-2005 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭

.25/.50 table

UTG Raises in front of me to $1

I raise to $7

Player 3 calls

Initial raiser calls

Flop comes down 3h 5d 6d

UTG goes $4

I raise to $20 to cover the last player

He calls all-in for $18

UTG calls all-in for $10

Turn is Qd

River is 5c

UTG turns over Kd 7s for pair of 5's
    I turn over AA for two pair A's and 5's
    Last player turns over JTd for flush J high...takes the pot

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

This is why i don't like playing with muppets, only leads to muppet beats, could have been worse Iago, could have been deep stacked muppets :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Can i ask where you were playing Iago?

Muppet beats, while annoying, increase your expectancy as long as you play with the odds. You will win more at the end of the day. Poker, esp online poker is a hell of a lot to do with probability and averages.. There is no such thing as luck

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭allin-king

i take it you don't play much poker then ape

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

I've said this at many online tables i've sat at -- The only luck I believe in is bad.

The rest you make for yourself.

allin-king wrote:
    Online I do..

What about what I said are you referring to?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭peeko

They do say **** happens!

I'm playing a $10 STT at the moment and it's bleeding disconnecting! Dodgy this internet stuff!

Luck doesn't exist, plain and simple. People "get lucky" but in the long run they will lose out if the expectency is against them.

Case and point: I've yet to hear of a professional roulette player..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭BrendanB

Don't let Vernon hear you say that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Dapper gets bored and critques the hand:

UTG (Kd 7s) Raises in front of me to $1: This is atrocious. Especially from UTG

I (AA) raise to $7: I wouldn't have raised so much. It's a huge over bet and from an EV standpoint more often then not you'd be looking at every good player folding except those holding AA,KK and possibly QQ and AK, wasting the power of your Aces. I'm crap at NL HE cashgames though, don't forget.

Player 3 (Jd10d) calls: This is a bad call, but possibly not the worst ever. He's got the best drawing hand in poker and you might have AK rather than an over pair. Your possible holdings are AA,KK,QQ, AK and to a lesser extent AQ and JJ. Given the size of it the last of these I'd (personally) put you on is AA or KK, just cause it's the last thing I would. Yes, again I'm shít at HE cashgames.

Initial raiser calls: He's getting a little over 2-1 on his money, but it's still an awful awful call, he's got a terrible hand. This guys a complete fúcking muppet, I hope you buddied him.

Flop comes down 3h 5d 6d: Pot is $22.50

UTG (Kd7s) goes $4: He's got a gutshot, two over cards to the flop and a runner runner flush draw. This is clearly a perfect time to bet less than 1/5 of the pot, milk that monster. This would be a slightly more reasonable bet in his spot if everyone had limped in and it was a pot sized bet in the hope of no callers, but it's awful given his holding and what's happened before. He's a total sap.

I raise to $20 to cover the last player: It's what I would have done.

He calls all-in for $18: I don't think this is that bad. Form his perspective there's 22.50+4+18=44.50 in the pot, this about 2.5:1 odds on his €18 call, he must be presuming his flush draw is good. A little better if he thinks that UTG will call off his last $10, there is also the highly unlikely situation that he could win if he hit a J or a 10. It's unlikely you have AK, 99, 88 or 77, but still possible. If I was where he was I might call, probably not though unless I'd seen you play some trash and bet it hard. There's plenty or players I would call there against.

UTG calls all-in for $10:I think at this point he's getting odds of over 6-1. I honestly don't know what his chances of winning are, he might even have made the only corect decision he made in the hand.

Turn is Qd: You're drawing dead, unless you held the Ad. :(

River is 5c: At least the moron UTG didn't win it.

Interesting hand. I fúcking hate NL HE cashgames. I'm liking the yamaha though. Gamble no lose!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

allin-king wrote:

Ape is perfectly correct. In the run long you stand to win playing the game correctly. Have a read of Sklansky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

DapperGent wrote:
    Dapper gets bored and critques the hand:

I (AA) raise to $7: I wouldn't have raised so much. It's a huge over bet and from an EV standpoint more often then not you'd be looking at every good player folding except those holding AA,KK and possibly QQ and AK, wasting the power of your Aces. I'm crap at NL HE cashgames though, don't forget.

To be honest I had 6 players still to act after me and I didn't want them all in the hand. I made that raise to push them off and get the original raiser to go all-in. I put him on a medium-high PP or Ako, AQo or mayber AJo.

What I wanted him to think was that I was playing with Axs or maybe a medium PP and wanted everyone to fold. Therefore encouraging him to go all-in on a reraise and taking his money :) (well it seemed like a good idea at the time)
    Player 3 (Jd10d) calls: This is a bad call, but possibly not the worst ever. He's got the best drawing hand in poker and you might have AK rather than an over pair. Your possible holdings are AA,KK,QQ, AK and to a lesser extent AQ and JJ. Given the size of it the last of these I'd (personally) put you on is AA or KK, just cause it's the last thing I would. Yes, again I'm shít at HE cashgames.

There were a lot of muppets coming and going from the table, players logging on with $5 or $10 and going all-in preflop on any A or Kxs absolute madness. On the other hand both myself and the pot winner had been sitting there for over an hour and I was only playing with premium hands. In his position had I been watching the other players I'd of thrown JTs away.

Speaking of which what is the obsession online with J9o???? seriously, the amount of times last night I saw players raise with this hand preflop and even pot commit themselves was ridiculous...am I missing something here? If I am somebody please tell me, becuase I normally throw that away to any raise and only very occasionally will I even limp in with it. I mean it's muck right? right?
    Initial raiser calls: He's getting a little over 2-1 on his money, but it's still an awful awful call, he's got a terrible hand. This guys a complete fúcking muppet, I hope you buddied him.

He's my best friend ;)

He calls all-in for $18: I don't think this is that bad. Form his perspective there's 22.50+4+18=44.50 in the pot, this about 2.5:1 odds on his €18 call, he must be presuming his flush draw is good. A little better if he thinks that UTG will call off his last $10, there is also the highly unlikely situation that he could win if he hit a J or a 10. It's unlikely you have AK, 99, 88 or 77, but still possible. If I was where he was I might call, probably not though unless I'd seen you play some trash and bet it hard. There's plenty or players I would call there against.

I've thought about this, and whether I would have called in his position. To be honest I don't think I would have. I've already seen a raise and re-raise preflop, and then a raise and re-raise all-in after the flop and I'm still looking at a drawing hand.

What could he put us on? He had to assume that at least one of us had either hit trips, had QQ, KK or AA, or even AQd or AKd. He's rapidly running out of outs there...

I don't know, I wouldn't have called it, but maybe I'm wrong.

Turn is Qd: You're drawing dead, unless you held the Ad. :(

As it happens......I didn't....Ah As

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

In order for the J10 call preflop to be profitable you both would need at least 10 times the amount in your stack that he had called preflop, this coupled with the fact that the utg guy might raise again means it was a terrible call. But then your playing 25 50c and this is why poker can be so profitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Iago wrote:
    He's my best friend ;)
    I always need new friends! If this is VC could you PM me the username please? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Oh Iago I owe you money cos Enda's a fúcking loser.

You want to PM your bank details and I can fire it in or I can give ti to you when I next see you.

I would have sent you a PM but then I wouldn't have been able to publicly call Enda a loser.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

DapperGent wrote:
    I would have sent you a PM but then I wouldn't have been able to publicly call Enda a loser.
    Less of a loser than you, no-points boy! I did manage to take some of the money you paid into the BSOP home with me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭allin-king

ApeXaviour wrote:
    Online I do..

What about what I said are you referring to?

What i mean is:

If i was statistically a 95% chance (river card to come) to win a pot of 10,000 dollars or at the final table of the WSOP in it and got beat i don't really care about the long run because i got unlucky plain & simple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Ro...

What online poker site do u use? pacific poker??

allin-king wrote:
    What i mean is:

If i was statistically a 95% chance (river card to come) to win a pot of 10,000 dollars or at the final table of the WSOP in it and got beat i don't really care about the long run because i got unlucky plain & simple
    That's human, but it's a really bad attitude to have, it can cause you to tilt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Shortstack

allin-king wrote:
    What i mean is:

When will you ever learn ! Think i am going to have to river you on Friday ! I love seeing you on tilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Ro... wrote:
    What online poker site do u use? pacific poker??

Ro... I've turned off your signature as it's way, way WAY too big. Read this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Shortstack

Shortstack wrote:
    When will you ever learn ! Think i am going to have to river you on Friday ! I love seeing you on tilt.

Strange how these prophecies seem to come true !

Advertisement