Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appeal to adjust Charter

• 08-02-2005 7:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭

SU election advertising is also strictly prohibited (referenda topics are okay).

I think this is stupid and should be deleted. Would that be possible. In some ways it doesn't really matter but I don't agree with it. I'll see what happens.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

No it's staying.

Implementation however is left at the mods discretion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

Sap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

It would come under the heading of spam if they where allowed to campaign on the forum.

As opposed to everything else that's posted here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

spam as apposed to crap

• Advertisement

Actually, it depends about what SU election advertising is? Is it information about when it's on and who's running. I don't think this prohibits discussing the candidates. I'm actually quite stunned we're even discussing this at all. Are Skylynx, APexaviour, Kappar trying to say that we talking about the candidates is inappropriate for this message board???

Obviously not kev

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭celingfan

where there is a will there is a way!!!!

Ok Then..... I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

I think really this ban is to prevent the type of post that without it we would inevitablly see i.e. replies to threads saying things like "if I was president I would change this" I think we would get these on nearly every topic also threads devolving into slagging matches.

I think though, personally I would like to see debate on issues, but obviously in a structured and appropriate way. I think this is where the mods' discretion comes in. But also It might be something to consider to allow each candidate to write a piece that we can put in a thread a lock and skicky for the duration of the contest.

• Advertisement

Twas my idea for SU election spamming not to be allowed. I didn't ask for advertising to be banned, just electioneering. For anyone who didn't know anything about SU elections last year, www.indymedia.ie was used and abused: There you can post completely anonymously - a thread was attempted to be set up this year and was swiftly deleted. So I presumed (months ago) that this site would be used as a ground for pages and pages of complete crap about candidates etc.

So there you go...

Do you mean for an example somesay saying:

"Don't vote for this guy he's a stupid wan*er".

nah not really, well that's kinda borderline.

People's opinions aren't so bad, though I'd be a lot less tolerant of people just comin in here after <3 posts doin a "vote for this guy" all in caps etc routine.

Campaigning/advertising/self-promotion now is a different matter.

Myth axed me to put that in, I saw his point. Also you always gotta make the rules seem harsher than they are so you can cite them should muppeting come about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭gom

how about deleting the reference to the SU.

it is up to the SU to create policy connected to this forum. Seen as it is listed in the "Soc" section of forums and not the "Private" I am highly sceptical about the connections of the current modes to the SU.

Please remove all references to any particular society/club/SU in the charter. I would willing support a charter that incorporated a ban on any campaigning to a society/club/SU/capitations related executive position within Trinity(but not the creation of a new society or club or informative information on various events of a non-spammy varity)

I'll say it again. Boards.ie is not ment to be in the business of supporting TCD SU policy. IF that is the case the 'Trinity College Dublin' forum should be relocated to the 'Private' forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭xeduCat

Nah, half the officers don't even know that boards.ie exists, let alone this forum. As for me i'm happy to be an ordinary user and couldn't care less what the rules are.

Plus, it's a good thing to have fora, sites etc that aren't linked to the Union, if only to give choice. What attitude is taken to campaign pleading/spam/informative gossip is none of my business...

Candidates, of course, know the rules about what they themselves say and do, but that's a matter for them, not for the mods.

gom wrote:
    I'll say it again. Boards.ie is not ment to be in the business of supporting TCD SU policy. IF that is the case the 'Trinity College Dublin' forum should be relocated to the 'Private' forum
    It's a discussion forum for trinity students and/or discussions about trinity/whats relavent to it.
    Discussion of the SU, though I personally dislike them and have no affiliation (other than being a member like all tcd students), falls into the above categories. Removing all references would be silly IMO

Whatever about the candidates own responsibilities, it really falls into a question of spamming for us mods. And that is what's not tolerated.

fora

I like it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

see, if you're dumb enough to post up here electioneering all you're gonna get is abuse anyhow - i mean its inevitable.

Advertisement