Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems on Ballymun IBB Mast ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Legion

Thats the first time I have hit pings like that in over a week and a half Barry never once did I come anywhere near pings as low,usually it was 200+.

So anyone else see an improvment in there pings+speeds post them up here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭johncorleone

Instead of posting pings which tell very little about your connection, can you post the output of mtr (Unix) or pathping (Windows) to whatever server you use for benchmarking speeds/latency ?

Here is a current MTR from an INEX peer to my home :

me@pagh:~$ mtr -c 50 -r 83.141.80.214
    HOST: pagh.compsoc.com Loss% Snt Last Avg Best Wrst StDev
    1. hosting-gw.compsoc.com 0.0% 50 0.2 9.8 0.2 189.4 38.2
    2. vlan57.rt001.cwt.esat.net 0.0% 50 0.2 0.8 0.2 21.4 3.1
    3. ge1-0.core002.cwt.esat.net 0.0% 50 0.1 0.1 0.1 0.2 0.0
    4. pos2-0.br001.inex.esat.net 0.0% 50 1.0 8.6 0.9 148.9 30.0
    5. ibis-inex-gw.irishbroadband. 0.0% 50 1.4 2.1 1.2 22.1 3.1
    6. 62.231.52.126 0.0% 50 2.7 3.9 1.8 39.2 5.8
    7. ballycoolin-et-2-1.irishbroa 0.0% 50 5.3 4.3 2.3 6.3 0.9
    8. 62.231.49.181 6.0% 50 32.9 25.7 6.1 89.7 16.7
    9. 83.141.80.214 6.0% 50 11.9 30.4 11.8 96.9 18.0

Latency is *lots* better, but there is quite a lot of packet loss still.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

There was an outage yesterday afternoon around 3.00pm on the Ballymun mast, I was connected to my work email at the time so I contacted IBB. The support guy I spoke to wasn't aware of any problem so he turned around and asked the guy beside him. I heard the guy say that there's an ongoing problem and that it should be fixed in 2-3 days then I was put on hold.

When the call resumed I was told that the service would resume in a few minutes and when I asked about the poor connection speed I was told that it should be fixed when the connection restarted! Still getting about 30kb when downloading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭SpooN_9k

havent checked out any ping speeds yet but since it came back online after they worked on it yesterday my d/l speeds are about 90kbs and pages are opening up fast again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭dundealgan

SpooN_9k wrote:
    havent checked out any ping speeds yet but since it came back online after they worked on it yesterday my d/l speeds are about 90kbs and pages are opening up fast again :D

Lucky for you......

No improvements here with me. :(

Still hanging around the 40k mark.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭SpooN_9k

:mad:

im sorry i take it all back...its as bad as it ever was again tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Cr8or

it seems to be fine again .. anyone else back to normal?

Definitely getting sub 512k performance from my 1M connection still. Max download speed is 48-50kb/s and it's not sustainable - usually 30-36kb and then bursts to 48-50kb for a little bit.

Same as last week if not worse,I had one night of half decent download speeds but s***e pings and one night of good pings but s***e download......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

This is still crap for me as of this morning, dloads at 50 and pings not great either. Has it improved for anyone else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

I rang them last week and got the same old guff about the ballymun highsite issue, the guy on the phone said the upgrade should be complete in 2 weeks at the max :rolleyes: My connection is pathetic from about 4pm to 11pm, I get faster speeds on DialUp FFS! It's gets better after that but I have to say I am very annoyed, I am paying for a 1mb line and not getting it! :mad: I think a discount is in order....

I'm trying to get them on the phone at the moment. Downloads are maxing at 28kb/s for the past few days, last week I was getting twice that some days.

Spent 50 minutes on hold to be told that there is a "networking issue"! :rolleyes: And the best bit is that it's yet again going to be fixed in 2/3 days. I asked if they were the same 2/3 days that were mentioned last week because it's been the same story since the start of the month. It's definitely going to be resolved by Wednesday afternoon was the answer.

Bannor wrote:
    Spent 50 minutes on hold to be told that there is a "networking issue"! :rolleyes: And the best bit is that it's yet again going to be fixed in 2/3 days. I asked if they were the same 2/3 days that were mentioned last week because it's been the same story since the start of the month. It's definitely going to be resolved by Wednesday afternoon was the answer.

LOL, this is getting better and better, After 45 minutes on hold last week I was told 2 weeks, today you were told 2/3 days! WTF are IBB up to?

I was told next week 3 weeks ago. I`ll believe this wensday thing when i see it. Did they say wensday or this wensday, it could eb any wensday.

I have been asking for a dicsount on account of the bad servive and was told they will get back to me 2 weeks ago.

IM on the atrium in Blanchardstown and i got told the same thing there is a problem with that hi site. Whats wrong with all their northside hisites?

Whats wrong with them do they not read this forum, i have peopleing asking me if i would recomend IBB and at this poing i cant do that. They are all jumping on the smart telacom and ntl bandwaggon, ibb are going to lose customers if they keep up like this!

Hell I dont even use the tole bridge any more!

I was told next week 3 weeks ago. I`ll believe this wensday thing when i see it. Did they say wensday or this wensday, it could eb any wensday.

I have been asking for a dicsount on account of the bad servive and was told they will get back to me 2 weeks ago.

IM on the atrium in Blanchardstown and i got told the same thing there is a problem with that hi site. Whats wrong with all their northside hisites?

Whats wrong with them do they not read this forum, i have peopleing asking me if i would recomend IBB and at this poing i cant do that. They are all jumping on the smart telacom and ntl bandwaggon, ibb are going to lose customers if they keep up like this!

I have also asked for a discount, they are not providing the service I am paying for, if this keeps up much longer I am just going to cancel my subscription.

So it appears both Blanchardstown and Ballymun have issues? Hmmmmmm something stinks over at IBB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Add to that the Guinness site as well.

My friend up the road has Breeze home which was fine up until about a month ago but it has been a disaster area over the last month. Downloads when they are the least bit consistent have been about 20k. Usually they just time out. Web-pages are highly unlikely to open that often. Its completely unusable for online gaming stuff now as well as pings are all over the place. They told him it was a physical problem with the connection due to weak signal strength. They were to call out to him last week and check the aerial or replace it with newer equipment. They never bothered and then when he could actually get anyone in there they gave him a different story.

They appear to be a huge shower of messers and after my friends experience with their more "stable" products I couldn't in good conscience recommend them to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Silent Assasin

Im on the Ballymun mast and It is crap aswell, Its ok for surfing and loading paes but downloading anything is a waste of time..

26 mins for a 5MB driver from the Dell Website last night...

The thing is I dont want to cancel as before all this the 1mb line was really excellent.

The thing is I dont want to cancel as before all this the 1mb line was really excellent.

I am only on the 1mb for 2 weeks now so I haven't seen the service working properly at all but friends of mine were using it over the last year and were raving about the great speeds, which is why I signed up. I am disappointed with the service but I am VERY disappointed by the length of time you have to wait on hold!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

support@irishbroadband.ie.

reckon we all email them at roughly the same time every day asking for an update.

• Advertisement

Thaed wrote:
    support@irishbroadband.ie.

reckon we all email them at roughly the same time every day asking for an update.

Not a bad Idea,seeing as you get the same old guff every time you ring although sending mails might not get you the answer or the fix you want but its worth a try and wil piss them off :)

Yesterday,my connection wasnt so bad from about 9-00 to 6-00, decent gaming pings and decent enough donload speeds but slowly went to **** in the end.

Gaming pings at the moment = nothing to write home about

Download speeds + 73kB/sec usually this is maxing out at 120 from ftp://ftp.esat.net/pub/FreeBSD/ISO-IMAGES-i386/5.3/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 sluice44

I'm on the Ballymun mast with a business 1Mb Breeze lite connection (20:1 ratio) and I'm fed up - it's so unpredictable (I've posted before). I rang them Friday (again) and I got the excuse (again), 'there's problems with the mast'. The 'best' he could was to open a ticket and tell me to post in pings etc...

I think their problem is they can't manage their network traffic (I'm not a techie). Doing tracert, it's fine to the mast but it's hopeless from 'Ballymun' through their network to the 'internet'. Doing pathping, I'm losing 20% through their network.

Smart Telecom are due in my area Mar/Apr and I will change.

I would add to Legion's post - when emailing 'customer support', add a link to this specific post (and all the other specific posts)

Yeah,Smart will be getting my business if their proposed roll out happens in March/April..

Right below is the email and the response i got along with the ticket number for the email.

Please feel free to email them on this issue using the ticket number and the
    email they sent in return. If we all do this they will see that there are several
    coutomers all attchted to the same issue and not jsut one per ticket.
    Dear Irish Broadband Customer,

We acknowledge receipt of your email and a ticket number has been automatically assigned for you.

There is no need to reply to this message right now. Your ticket has been assigned an ID of [irishbroadband.ie #30160] and will be dealt with in rotation.

Any future correspondence regarding this ticket should include the string [irishbroadband.ie #30160] in the subject line.

Irish Broadband is committed to providing a prompt and efficient customer support service and we will make every effort to resolve your issues in as short a time as possible.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Regards

Irish Broadband Customer Support

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=224418

There seems to be a lot of very un happy IBB customers,
    Is there any answer at all to when this will be resolved?

Janet O'Sullivan

I'm going to wait until Thursday to see if the issue is resolved before contacting IBB again.

As an experiment last night I kicked off a download from easynews and see how it did in the 12 hour period from 9pm to 9am. The interesting thing is the transfer rate isn't consistant...

9.00-9.46pm : 21~22kb/s
    9.46-10.17 : 26kb/s
    10.17-10.47 : 24kb/s
    10.47-11.02 : 51kb/s
    11.02-11.30 : 55kb/s
    11.30-00.03 : 25kb/s
    00.03-00.19 : 49kb/s
    00.19-02.12 : 28~30kb/s
    02.12-02.40 : 57kb/s
    02.40-03.36 : 30~34kb/s
    03.36-03.50 : 56kb/s
    03.50-04.17 : 29kb/s
    04.17-04.31 : 57kb/s
    04.31-05.26 : 30kb/s
    05.26-05.39 : 59kb/s
    05.39-06.07 : 29kb/s
    06.07-06.21 : 57kb/s
    06.21-06.49 : 30kb/s
    06.49-07.03 : 59kb/s
    07.03-08.14 : 29~30kb/2
    08.14-08.56 : 58~59kb/s
    08.56-09.24 : 29kb/s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭johncorleone

There's nothing interesting about this issue. It's very simple, the backhaul from the Ballymun Mast is not enough to suffice for the number of users connecting to it. Your available bandwidth and the latency associated with the hop between Ballymun and the next hop will vary depending on how full that link is at the time. A pathping will show packet loss and latency at that hop.

This is what happens when you offer an uncapped service. People fill the backhaul because it's free. It costs money for an ISP to provide increased backhaul bandwidth and with an uncapped service the leechers will just fill whatever you give them anyway.

The reason why the service is getting increasingly worse is very simple, more customers using the same links. Uncapped services do not scale unless the ISP limits the number of people who connect to a node (They can't afford to do this) or they use Gigabit ethernet / 10 Gigabit Ethernet for backhaul (They also generally can't afford to do this).

Personally I wish IBB would invoke a capped service with guaranteed bandwidth (and keep the uncapped service for those that want it on a contended connection) so my connection is no longer affected by those who wish to download 24/7. That said, they'll probably just fill the transit links which are even more expensive to upgrade *sigh*.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

my service was spikey over the weekend probably due to the problems ye are suffering and now tripe. Pinging 210ms to english servers. spiking hugely,im on the r and h hall mast, they weren't aware of any problems when i rang them , don't know when its going to be fixed. This is the second/third problem in the last month.

Well i got a reply , and I asked again about the service and Blanchardstown.
    Hi Janet,
    The Ballymun site will be upgraded on the 28th Feb and should
    be back to normal by the 8th/9th March.

This assumes that nothing unforeseen happens.

If you should have anymore problems, please do not hesitate to call or ask.

Kind Regards
    Aaron Brady
    Technical Support

Irish Broadband

Just called IBB now...

They said Ballymun will be upgraded tomorrow and that everyone on the Ballymun highsite should see an improvement tomorrow night...

Very confusing....... :mad:

I'll believe it when I see it... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

they all dont seem to be playing off the same feild those tech support 1 says one thing and another says something else! Its like they dont know what is going on or are keeping every one guessing!

Advertisement