Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems on Ballymun IBB Mast ??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

It is now 12am and nothing has been done.

The crap speeds are really starting to annoy me
    but the good pings in BF are keeping me sane. :mad:

What is the new date now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Well at 7am wensday morning nothing had changed. Time to start making phong calls!

Well I rang them this morning.
    First the guy got me to download
    a file from heanet. It was an 8meg
    file and I only got 40k a sec getting
    that.

Then he "reset" my connection and told
    me to download the file again.
    Here is what happened after my connection
    was reset:

th_bdd_Untitled_1.jpg

You can see the 8 meg download before and
    after the reset.
    I told him i would ring later if they got worse
    again.
    Not happy with 70k a second I then proceeded
    to get files from heanet, microsoft and gamershell
    all at the same time to see if i could max out the
    connection. here is what happened there:

th_7c6_Untitled_2.jpg

I will check now in a few minutes to see can I max
    out my connection with bittorrent.

Things are looking up, for now. :)

I rember when i first got the problem I rang them and they guy did something to my conection and i was getting 70k a second. That lasted all of a day and ive been back to the 50k i have now ever since! I dont think they are able to provide a 1 meg line to most of their northside customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭K1

Legion wrote:
    Will go with smart myself Silent Assasin only problem with that is Smart haven't gone live yet, March/April is the date Santry Ave exchange is meant to be up and running but somehow I doubt that as well.

IBB is excellent when it works but tbh out of the six months I have it installed I reckon I've got maybe two months good connection out of it if even that.
    I signed up for smart 2 weeks ags I have spoken to them today and they assur me Santry is still on course for March/ April, My free Eircom trial expires on March 22 so heres hoping it wont be too long

• Advertisement

well i have been getting around 100k/sec since I rang them
    this morning.

Happy Enough here. :) *fingers crossed*

well i might give them a ring this morning and see if i get any improcments but last time I did like i said it lasted only about a day. Its only 6 weeks ago i was getting 123 k/s now 55.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Well after spending an age on the phone this morning I finally got through to support. After explaining the situation and getting the radio reset, it turns out my account was limited to 512k. This has been restored to 1MB but the download speeds have only improved slightly - it's now consistently 45~55kb/s down and the upstream seems to be 70kb/s. Certainly not the service I'm paying for.

I'm now waiting to hear when Smart will be available in my area and I'm currently checking out the situation with the other providers available in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Still crappy around on Ballymun, apparently only half the upgrade was completed......

Bannor wrote:
    After explaining the situation and getting the radio reset, it turns out my account was limited to 512k.

When I rang them the guy said "you are on a 512 connection right?".

I answered
    "NO!!, I'm paying 48 euro a month (in a calm voice)".

Then the guy started talking to someone in the background, muffled talking
    mutter mutter muffle muffle, then he said:
    "ok I'm going to reset your connection"

Is this happening by accident that peoples accounts are being limited to
    512 ?

• Advertisement

This is very strange indeed.

I am going to run through my connection details with 2nd level support tomorrow morning, I'll let you all know what's going on.

/Kone

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Legion

Just been onto to them myself..was downloading from.. http://ftp.esat.net/pub/FreeBSD/ISO-IMAGES-i386/

at about 64KB/sec steady enough but usually a rock solid 120KB/sec for me but ring to make sure conn was set at 1mb and not 512..still set at 1mb according to the girl..anyways she says as was mentioned above that theres still a lbit of work to do on the mast or whatever and "assured" me it would be all sorted tomorrow...so now we wait....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Well I pm Mr wise man and have heard nothing back , has any one else ?

Strange that connections are being set at 512 when people are paying for 1mb,
    wasnt the 512 the defunct and nonadvailible breeze lite connection ?
    Looks like we have signed up for one product and were given another,
    and over hcarged by at least 20 euros permnth.

Legion wrote:
    Just been onto to them myself..was downloading from.. http://ftp.esat.net/pub/FreeBSD/ISO-IMAGES-i386/

at about 64KB/sec steady enough but usually a rock solid 120KB/sec for me but ring to make sure conn was set at 1mb and not 512..still set at 1mb according to the girl..anyways she says as was mentioned above that theres still a lbit of work to do on the mast or whatever and "assured" me it would be all sorted tomorrow...so now we wait....

64KB/sec, you lucky lucky bassa! I get a whopping 10KB/sec

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Legion

Thats the best speed i've seen all week Kone,wasn't far off the 10k speed myself..anyways testing it again just to see like :)

44KB/sec...

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Silent Assasin

I phoned them up on Monday and complained and the Guy told me that the connection was within contention, He then told me that if im getting pings of 100 thats ok...

Then on Tuesday we got a call to tell us that Engineers will be out on wednesday @ 11.30.

They come at 11.30 and start messing around then they told my father that the problem was with the ballymun to three rock link and thats were they were going then....and someone would be in touch today. No phone call.

So at the moment downloading the file that legion was im getting 45KB/sec which was a solid 120 before all this crap...

Wise man did reply to my PM but I dont know if he did anything !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 The Wise man

People Ive just got the licence from commreg this evening after alot of pushing these are thing that are beyond my control the link physicially in place and I am trying to arange to have it switched on before the weekend and I will do my best but I dont want to lie to anybody so untill I have rigging staff on site I will not be able to say for definate. People im doing my best.

Point 2
    some people seem to think they are getting 512 connections and paying for a meg can you PM me and I will check the data base and give you an answer. The only way I can see this happening is when we moved from 512 and upgraded everybody to a meg. if you think you are still 512 pm me ill check.

Thaed wrote:
    Well I pm Mr wise man and have heard nothing back , has any one else ?

Strange that connections are being set at 512 when people are paying for 1mb,
    wasnt the 512 the defunct and nonadvailible breeze lite connection ?
    Looks like we have signed up for one product and were given another,
    and over hcarged by at least 20 euros permnth.
    I PMed the wiseman the other day( AT HIS REQUEST) no change there re IBBs reputation for answering or returning calls.. Its exactly like I said in my first post.. They are arrogant & ignorant ( Worse than Eircom in my opinion)

I phoned them up on Monday and complained and the Guy told me that the connection was within contention, He then told me that if im getting pings of 100 thats ok...

Then on Tuesday we got a call to tell us that Engineers will be out on wednesday @ 11.30.

They come at 11.30 and start messing around then they told my father that the problem was with the ballymun to three rock link and thats were they were going then....and someone would be in touch today. No phone call.

So at the moment downloading the file that legion was im getting 45KB/sec which was a solid 120 before all this crap...

Wise man did reply to my PM but I dont know if he did anything !
    see my other post In my experiance IBB never respont to anyony. I'm doing the right thing going to smart , Me Thinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 The Wise man

There are constant people complaining that they are not getting the full connection, Is there a bit of confussion about your contention rates, People are saying they are receiving 100KB transfer rates but they are not happy with this, People in reality you are payin for a 1 meg connection at 20 to one contention rate. this works as follows any isp provider will only guarantee your contended rates in the case of IBB they will guarantee 1 twentieth of a meg sometimes bursting to a meg. Unless you pay for an uncontended bandwidth you will not be guananteed a full meg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Yeah I'd say that excuse will work really well in a few weeks time when Smart enables the exchanges in west Dublin, considering Smart guarantees the bandwidth at max speed. This is how the rest of the ADSL providers operate too in reality.

Are you incidently saying that the contention is on this newly upgraded link or where is it?

Well they tried to tell me that I was suposed to have a 512 connection as well sounds like they are trying to pull a fast one. Well im getting on to com reg to see if this is legeal sounds like they are ripping the public off. Its one thing to have technicnial diffuculties for a few days or so but this is going over 6 weeks now. Its just like the trouble eircom got into with com reg when they started splitting peoples lines!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Well, i think the problem they're having is that the rarely (if ever) reach that speed.

It's similar to offering a 10meg service at 20/1 contention and only ever getting 150kB/sec. Fine, its within contention, but its nowhere near what a 10meg service should get, and if the customer never gets that speed, wouldn't they be right to kick up a fuss? I'd call that false advertising.

There are constant people complaining that they are not getting the full connection, Is there a bit of confussion about your contention rates, People are saying they are receiving 100KB transfer rates but they are not happy with this, People in reality you are payin for a 1 meg connection at 20 to one contention rate. this works as follows any isp provider will only guarantee your contended rates in the case of IBB they will guarantee 1 twentieth of a meg sometimes bursting to a meg. Unless you pay for an uncontended bandwidth you will not be guananteed a full meg

I just saw this reply after i had sent my last message. So just on the subject of contention why then was i getting a solid 123/125 k for the my first 2 months on IBB the then 50/25 k for the last few weeks. At some point in the last 6 weeks my connection should have gotten up close to the 100 mark at least onece.
    Also this contention thing does not answer the question.... Why have IBB tech support telling us we have a 512k connection then when the realise we know what we are talking about they correct them selves ?

Is it to dupe the poor sods that got rid of dial up and got broaband in to download email and book fkights on line. A task that dial up was well up to and so these people dont know why the needed BB just got it in for the hell of it. Oh know this punter is not one of them we better tell him something different!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

People are saying they are receiving 100KB transfer rates but they are not happy with this,

Wow really havent seen anything close to that is well over 6 weeks, been less then 50 even as low as 25 for over a week soild.
    in the case of IBB they will guarantee 1 twentieth of a meg sometimes bursting to a meg.

The maths there just dont add up and you are saying that they do,
    well then what were are paying for is an always on dail up rate connection......
    that is far from being Broad.

Point 2
    some people seem to think they are getting 512 connections and paying for a meg can you PM me and I will check the data base and give you an answer. The only way I can see this happening is when we moved from 512 and upgraded everybody to a meg. if you think you are still 512 pm me ill check.

Ahem I only have my connection 2 months which is long after everyone
    was upgraded to a meg.

The only way I can see this happening is IBB limiting peoples connections
    to try and give some sort of QOS to all their customers as they are unable to provide the
    speeds advertised.

contention or no contention my speed was doubled by an apparent "reset" but
    how many customers dont measure their connection and are limited to
    512 and dont even know (or will ever know until they complain).

But my speeds are fine now. well into the 100k range.
    My pings have always been good.
    But this situation hasn't been resolved for everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

See tha' Ballymun tower- is dad only for breeze customers? Coz Im on ripwave and I live near the Ballymun tower, in a house righ', and eh, and on the ripwve website map part it looks like on the map Im gettin me signals from up near Santry.

/?/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Wiseman my connection has been nothing near a 1MB service since January. Even with the contention ratio at some point in that time I should have witnessed the transfer rate going over 55-60kb. After getting through to the support line yesterday and the radio being reset I was getting 45~55k consistently. This morning it's 30~33kb down and 60~80kb up.

As far as I'm concerned IBB broke the contract, and Barry changing my account back from 512k to 1MB yesterday was the icing on the cake.

UPDATE @ 10.29 - the downstream has just broke 95kb. Still looking for another ISP though.

Well this morning at 6 am before i left for work i Got my highest download rate in weeks. I saw it break 60K for a few mins. Also why can I only upload at 25k. Am i on a 512/256 eircom type account from IBB?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Well this morning at 6 am before i left for work i Got my highest download rate in weeks. I saw it break 60K for a few mins. Also why can I only upload at 25k. Am i on a 512/256 eircom type account from IBB?

Are you sure you dont have a faulty modem/reciever? is it pointing in the right direction? Has the wind offset some peoples poles in the past.......the upload should not be no bother if you got a clear line of sight.......? Am I wrong?

Advertisement