Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems on Ballymun IBB Mast ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Getting a whopping 13KB/sec now! Woohoo!

Had 2nd level support on the phone earlier, who, when they witnessed by speeds said "Jaysus, that's crawling along!" That doesn't fill me with confidence.

WISEMAN READ THIS AND PM ME

IBB have charged me for 2 months of ****ty always-on slower than dialup service and unless I see a MASSIVE improvement in the next 7 days I will be talking to COMREG and the ODCA. I am fed up of excuses and more excuses.
    I am paying for a service I don't have!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Drapper wrote:
    Are you sure you dont have a faulty modem/reciever? is it pointing in the right direction? Has the wind offset some peoples poles in the past.......the upload should not be no bother if you got a clear line of sight.......? Am I wrong?

Well the line of sight is not a problem im 500 meters away from the atruim and the day the engineers installed it they said they even got a signal from gound level before the took the ariel up on the roof. I have been on to IBB tech support and they have told me that my raido checks out fine. So the problem is not at my end.

And Kone im thinking that comreg is the way to go at this stage! If i had been offered a 512 connection for 30 yoyos when i signed up i would have gone for that, but i dident have the chioce as ripwave is crap so i wanted the ariel on the roof job.

And Kone im thinking that comreg is the way to go at this stage! If i had been offered a 512 connection for 30 yoyos when i signed up i would have gone for that, but i dident have the chioce as ripwave is crap so i wanted the ariel on the roof job.

COMREG is the only way forward at this stage mate, I just don't trust IBB to get it sorted out.

7 days and counting.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

womoma wrote:
    See tha' Ballymun tower- is dad only for breeze customers? Coz Im on ripwave and I live near the Ballymun tower, in a house righ', and eh, and on the ripwve website map part it looks like on the map Im gettin me signals from up near Santry.

I want to use proper grammer but text messages have melted my brain.
    *slaps itself in its face at shinys request*
    /?/

Yeah the ballymun mast has ripwave.
    I had ripwave a few months ago and after 6 weeks of
    ****e speeds i upgraded to breeze lite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Yeah the ballymun mast has ripwave.
    I had ripwave a few months ago and after 6 weeks of
    ****e speeds i upgraded to breeze lite. i love willys

:) interesting

• Advertisement

So the latest update is that only part of Ballymun Highsite has gone live, the rest is waiting for new routers/fibre/etc/etc/etc/etc/etc to be installed next week, probably Tuesday, but possibly Wednesday or even Thursday, so it's another week of **** speeds! Hooray!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭K1

Well the line of sight is not a problem im 500 meters away from the atruim and the day the engineers installed it they said they even got a signal from gound level before the took the ariel up on the roof. I have been on to IBB tech support and they have told me that my raido checks out fine. So the problem is not at my end.

you done very well the lazy Bas****s IBB sent to my house wouldn't even do a test let alone get up on the roof.( IT WAS PISSIN' RAIN). Without as much as taking out a meter they said I havent a hope of getting a signal & I can see the mast from the back garden... Reading all thet here I thing the lazy bas****s WERE RIGHT

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Legion

Kone wrote:
    So the latest update is that only part of Ballymun Highsite has gone live, the rest is waiting for new routers/fibre/etc/etc/etc/etc/etc to be installed next week, probably Tuesday, but possibly Wednesday or even Thursday, so it's another week of **** speeds! Hooray!

I'll miss the slowness when it gets fixed... :eek: I know its not a laughing matter but I have to find some sort of humor out of the whole situation I'm not far off getting turfed out of the house by the wife with all the p1ssing and moaning I'm doing at the whole sorry saga. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 sluice44

Hi,
    I'm on a (business) 1Mb breeze lite connection to the Ballymun mast and I've complained here (and to IBB) in the past. I found your comments about certain people constantly complaining and 1Mb connection, 20:1 ration & 100Kb speeds interesting.

Why don't IBB prove everyone wrong? Set up some sort of server within your network and allow people to test-download a file from it. Tell people how to save screenshots. Then state if the client's download speed is less than X, you're not getting 1Mb service and entitled to file a grievance. This should (?) prove whether it's your service or 'the internet' that's slow.

Also, the 1Mb connection, 20:1 & 100Kb downloads comment is not strictly true, is it? It might be if everyone was downloading at the exact same time. The 'internet' is bursty, i.e., not constant demands on up-/download data requests. It's unlikely that 20 people will be downloading a huge file from the same site from the Ballymun mast at the exact same time?

I'm not a techie but, hopefully, you know what I mean! Although I'm technical enough to do ping, tracert etc (thanks boards.ie!).

I won't PM you as I'm leaving IBB as soon as I've an alternative. Perhaps others can translate my 'ramblings' into technospeak and press home my points with you (and/or IBB).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 The Wise man

Folks let me explain a few things as this will be my last reply on boards after some of the abusive PMs I have just received, I am not a techie person I am just a small person in a big company. I came onto boards after listening to people in the office telling me what was been written here. I have always passed on the most up to date honest information I knew. I hoped it would be some reassurance to some of you people. I know there are issue mostly with the Ballymun tower and I have told you exactily what is going on. From what I know commreg issued the licience for the backhaul on the 10th of March and the riggers will be commisioning the link on tuesday coming (feel free to check this with commreg) this should finalise your problems people.

I hope I have been a help to some people, I hope you will soon be like the few thousand customers who are happy with their service, At the end of the day I go home like the rest of you theres more to my life than Broadband, Thanks for listining and too the not so nice people who are big brave men with their PMs keep on moaning Ive stopped listining...

Many Regards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

The Wise man, I'd be very intrested to hear who sent you abusive PMs. If you could PM me with a copy of them I'd be grateful.

Sorry to see you go, if you do decide to stay away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

sluice44:: Check out ftp://ftp.irishbroadband.ie/. Thats their internal FTP server, which is ideal for proving whether a connection really is slow or not.

Tis a pity that you're leaving wiseman, i know some of us appreciate having an ear to whisper to when we have problems. Tech support can be a nightmare at times. If ever you drop in with future news, hopefully things will be less bitchy.

Remember, don't shoot the messenger for the bad news people...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭K1

Moriarty wrote:
    The Wise man, I'd be very intrested to hear who sent you abusive PMs. If you could PM me with a copy of them I'd be grateful.

Sorry to see you go, if you do decide to stay away.
    Inspector MORIATRY is on the case!!!!

Thanks, mutant_fruit, for the IBB ftp link. Next question is what would be an acceptable time/download speed for retrieve a large file from it on a 1Mb connection?

After reading previous posts here and doing tracert to external websites, I'm sure IBB's internal network (backhaul?) is to blame. Perhaps we should all download the same file before and after Wiseman's promised improvements to the Ballymun mast and compare notes.

This would establish a performance benchmark and if IBB do read these posts, as Wiseman said, we would have a strong case when we complained.

I'm sorry Wiseman has received abusive email (and I hope Moriarty finds them) but, as a previous poster noted, it's odd that we have to rely on an anonymous poster (rather than IBB themselves) to get information on our concerns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

It seems like most of the problem is internal to IBB as opposed to their connections to the great big world. Only once have i had fast speeds to IBB and slow speeds to other places.

Basically, you should max out your connection ANY time you try to download from IBB's ftp site. If you don't, its not their external bandwidth thats saturated, its their internal, and if thats saturated, its just pure laziness that let that happen (imo). Thats the easiest and cheapest thing to improve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Ya know back in the days when I had terrible performance problems with IBB, I could download quicker through INEX than I could from their own web site. I got the most amazing explanation as to why this was: "you have to realise that our FTP server is very busy".

It's a weird problem, one of my friends who is also on the Ballymun mast is getting great speeds on his 512k connection, while I am still suffering with slower than dialup speeds! I guess all the sectors on the mast STILL haven't been upgraded! :mad: You've got 2 days IBB and then it's bye bye....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I dont doubt that the wise man got abusive pms which I do think is appalling,
    but I find it odd that this and his withdrawl seemed to happen when he was
    apparently running out of answers and being challeneged.

Things still have not changed on the connection here :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Legion

Still bad for me here also..any phone calls to them is like "yeah we're working on it and it will be fixed tomorrow.

The boy was off school and decided to play a bit online this morning got all excited and rang me to tell me the pings we're sweet must be fixed.."boy" I said, give it another couple of hours and you'll be back to the same old sh1te.

Well my connection has now gottten worse the ping have gotten erativc and make gaming unplayable. Im still getting 512/256 connection and in the last 2 days the pings have now gone to the dogs. Today is Tuesday another magic tuesday has come and gone.

Also wise man complaining about abusive pm`s? What does he expect there are lot of angry people who feel they are being riped off he he is the only outlet! Or at least he was!

• Advertisement

I've had it with them, today I needed to send an urgent email to my boss, do you think I could? Of course not!

All I got was - time out time out time out time out time out!

I cannot even hit their FTP server now...

I understand Wiseman was annoyed about abusive PMs, he was just trying to help out but this is really gone beyond a joke.

I was going to post my ping and tracert stats but to be honest they're exactly the same as before so I'm not going to bother....

I've been told the following by various member of IBB staff.

1) Ballymun had been upgraded fully and testing is taking place.

2) Ballymun has NOT been upgraded fully and that remaining sectors will be upgaded by Tuesday (today! lol!)

3) Ballymun has NOT been upgraded fully and that remaining sectors will be upgaded by Wednesday

4) Ballymun was upgraded fully but incorrect cabling was installed so they are waiting for new cabling and it will be installed by Thursday (Paddys Day, Yeah right!)

So that's it, I've had it, I cannot deal with this any longer, if I don't hear anything from them by tomorrow morning I am cancelling my account and demanding a full refund. I am sure ODAC will be interested in this one!

/Kone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭SpooN_9k

well my pings online are still bad (350+ playing WoW) and downloading at about 50kps

:mad:

its gone beyond a joke at this stage...

I left a voicemail last night and so far I've called twice today, first time I was been put on hold, then transferred to someones voicemail, second time I was told someone would call me back in the next 15 minutes, that was nearly an hour ago...

Great customer service :rolleyes:

Wed, 16 Mar, 1300hr

Downloading a 10mb and 25mb image from their ftp site at the same time.
    I've a 1MB (Business) Breeze Lite connection.

Getting 30KB/sec for one and 35KB/sec for the other file.
    That's 0.3MB/sec and 0.35MB/sec, right?
    That's good, isn't it?

same for me still bad. only im to busy to ring them atm I would be giving them some abuse on the phone. I think im 7 weeks now on the bad connection or is it 8 im not sure anymore! Its been that long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭SpooN_9k

sluice44 wrote:
    Getting 30KB/sec for one and 35KB/sec for the other file.
    That's 0.3MB/sec and 0.35MB/sec, right?
    That's good, isn't it?

no 30kbs is 0.03mbs and 35kbs is 0.035mbs

for a 1mb line thats not good

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 The Wise man

Well it official the upgrade is now complete on Ballymun and is live as of now. Could you people who were having bad service please try some down loads and post the results.. PS I sorted out the PM thing thanks.

Was just on the phone to Tech Support, I tried downloading the 25mb file and was getting 8kb/s......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Kone wrote:
    Was just on the phone to Tech Support, I tried downloading the 25mb file and was getting 8kb/s......

reset your modem ! and try agian !

• Advertisement

Drapper wrote:
    reset your modem ! and try agian !

Will do! ;)

Advertisement