Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems on Ballymun IBB Mast ??

12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Man if i was getting pings anywhere near those quoted above i'd be going mad. I just ran a test there on mine 3rock and am getting:

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 8ms, Maximum = 66ms, Average = 24ms

But thats while downloading a file at 100K~

Normally to boards i get an average of 5-7ms

One of you should send the link to this forum to mailto:sales@irishbroadband.ie (only address i ever get replies from)

Man that sounds crazy, how can you get good pings while downloading. When im downloading my lings are more like 2231 and stuff like that. I shut it all down before i play my games.
    Also last night I got a lot less of those ping time outs but they are not gone altogether but it was better last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭colin300

I know this aint the place to ask this but all the people on Irish broadband on boards are here so i think i will ask instead of putting a new thread up.

This is the story. A friend of mine got Irish broadband (Bray) to install there system and set out the two biggest idiots to install the service. First thing that should have shown him something was when they arrived one of the guys said do you have a pc? (NO, I'm just payign IBB for a service I cant even use) They didn't have a laptop themselves. The guys never showed him it working or did they set it up. :confused:

Anyway he set up the service and according to IBB support the radio is giving out 41% signal which is above the threshold. He has put in all the details into his ethernet card like IP, Gateway, Subnet & DNS servers. Checked the cable coming from whatever that box they connect the ethernet card to. There is no light on the ethernet card when the cable is connected but when the ethernet card is hooked up to the network there is. On the little box the light under the network logo flashes doesn't stay on. I notice there is another light on its own with no logo but that has never come on.

We have checked all the cables I have tried alot of things but to no avail.
    If I have left out anything its because it wasn't done so if you think something might not have been done please say it even though it might seem thick because it could be no worse them the idiots that did the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Afaik you need a crossover cable to make it work. You might be using a straight-through cable which could be causing the problem.

Also, try plugging out the "modem" thing and plugging it back in to reset it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭colin300

Yes tried that had to go over with my crossover cable to make sure it wasn't that, it was still dead as a doornail not even a flicker on the pc. The cable was working fine because mine works on my 2 pc's fine.

Anything else?
    The odd thing I have noticed in Irish Broadbands setup is they give you no cd.

One more thing there is no connection to be made apart from the ethernet cable like some sort of dial up connection or anything where u put in username or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

May have been asked before, sorry, but how much bandwidth can IBB offer on the wireless network to the home ? How far can the wireless be stretched to in bandwidth?

Thanks

D

• Advertisement

colin300 wrote:
    The odd thing I have noticed in Irish Broadbands setup is they give you no cd.
    Thats because once you use ethernet, you need no drivers. No drivers means you don't need specalised software, making a setup CD obsolete.

It sounds like the "modem" device is dodgy. But try this. First, disconnect all the cables from it. Power it down for 15 seconds. Plug in the power cable, when it turns on, hit the reset button for 15 seconds (for the fun of it :p). Then, connect in the cable from the arial into the WAN/arial connector, a light should turn on to let you know its connected. Wait 15 seconds. Then, plug in the ethernet lan cable and hook that to your PC. A second light should turn on.

If the second light doesn't turn on, it must be buggered.
    May have been asked before, sorry, but how much bandwidth can IBB offer on the wireless network to the home ? How far can the wireless be stretched to in bandwidth?
    I'm trying to remember what i was told before, and i think my link can go up to about 6-8mbps. I can't remember exactly, but it was about that. I assume they could go higher if needed, but might require different equipment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 OldTitan

I'm trying to remember what i was told before, and i think my link can go up to about 6-8mbps. I can't remember exactly, but it was about that. I assume they could go higher if needed, but might require different equipment.

The new radios IBB use are currently capable of delivering real throughput of 15Mbps. The radios installed in 2004 in many cases are restricted to 3Mbps but can be upgraded to around 6Mbps. All radios installed in 2005 will be software upgradable to reach 15Mbps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Any price realignments of the products in the pipeline from IBB?

Blaster99 wrote:
    Any price realignments of the products in the pipeline from IBB?
    thats what i'm hoping. 1meg/1meg is all i need, so hopefully the monthly charge will drop a bit. Maybe to the 35eur mark. That'd be good.
    The radios installed in 2004 in many cases are restricted to 3Mbps but can be upgraded to around 6Mbps
    And its good to see the old memory still works :p

I don't really have a problem with the basic product, but I do have a problem with the pricing of the speedier products. About €100 for 2Mbps is not exactly competitive.

• Advertisement

The only thing i hope for is that if they do decide to re-jig their products and introduce faster ones, they should really make sure they have enough internal bandwidth to manage the new speeds.

They've had problems in the past with capacity, and they better not make it worse by trying to match competitors speeds' before they have everything ready.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 OldTitan

IBB were the first in 2004 to increase their entry level bandwidth from 512kbps to 1Mbps. IBB is still the only major player providing symetrical bandwidth.

IBB is currently reviewing their product set and pricing and will make an announcement shortly. IBB's policy is to continue to provide more value (higher bandwidth) for the same price each year. Which means, given the impact of inflation, that you get more bandwidth for effectively less money. That is the great thing about competition for the users out there!

Bear in mind that 2Mb from IBB is 2Mb upstream and downstream, not 2Mb (broadband) downstream and ISDN 128kbps (narrowband) upstream.

For the forseeable future IBB will remain the only symetrical service provider of substance out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I reinstalled my PC yesterday and couldent get my net working. I realised i for got to enter the correct dns. I did that and it worked fine. Be a bit mad having a cd that did that for you. it might be no hard to double check all youre ip and dns info that you have entered!

They couldn't really have a CD that does it automagically, because they'd have to make a personalised CD for every customer, which is a lot of hastle. When i got installed, they wrote down all the settings on a sheet of paper which i stuck on the side of my computer.

Takes all of 30 seconds to redo the settings. Faster than loading a cd :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

hehe when they wrote down my settings they wrote the wrong
    IP address and it was dead until i rang them the next morning. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 G|N|T

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ping www.boards.ie

Pinging www.boards.ie [82.195.144.58] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 82.195.144.58: bytes=32 time<10ms TTL=59
    Reply from 82.195.144.58: bytes=32 time=16ms TTL=59

Ping statistics for 82.195.144.58:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 16ms, Average = 4ms

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ping www.google.ie

Pinging www.google.akadns.net [216.239.59.99] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 216.239.59.99: bytes=32 time=32ms TTL=243

Ping statistics for 216.239.59.99:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Minimum = 32ms, Maximum = 32ms, Average = 32ms

PERFECTO

1046.2 Kbps

128.2 K bytes/sec

ALL DAY EVERYDAY!!!

Hows all on the Ballymun mast guys?

Shussssssssssssssssssssss

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

The Ballymun mast is looking very good at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Is the 1M performance back or is it still performing like an ISDN line? My connection was operating at a 100Kbit when I did a speed test this morning before leaving for work.

On a positive note, if it isn't fixed by Thursday I have the day off work so I'll be able to sit around waiting for customer support to pick up the phone. :)

Pings have been very bad the last few days, I'm ion Ballycoolin mast !

All you guys got a good connection ?

D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Legion

me ? no,but ive been having problems since the upgrade...

Nope, pings are crap and have been all or most of the day. Crap as in about 100ms. It's between two IBB nodes 62.231.52.134 and 62.231.52.157.

Blaster99 wrote:
    Nope, pings are crap and have been all or most of the day. Crap as in about 100ms. It's between two IBB nodes 62.231.52.134 and 62.231.52.157.

I wonder are they doing somework ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

Since people here seem to contact Bill in Esat and Phil in Eircom for issues with their service why not give the head guy in IBB an email if you are not happy with your service: A quick Google gets you: Paul Doody [paul.doody@irishbroadband.ie], MD, Irish Broadband Internet Services.

Advertisement