Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No Good Finishers Nowadays

• 08-02-2005 9:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭

Is it just me or are there no decent finishing moves around at the minute?
    Remember a couple of years ago when it would be great to see someone get hit with a Rock Bottom or a Stone Cold Stunner!Nowadays there are only crap moves like the RKO(Diamond Cutter rip-off)and the FU(poor man's F5).
    I think the only decent finisher right now is seeing someone get hit with the Tombstone piledriver by Taker...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

dude petey williams pile driver is amazing.one of the greatest i have ever seen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭savemejebus

stunner was good, rock bottom sucked, was too much like a full nelson slam. the Twist of fate was quite cool, the inverted one too and the styles clash is ok but i have to agree with raven, the canadian destroyer looks like it would fúck u up big time and thats what a finishing move is about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Batista's Tiger Bomb and spine buster are very impressive, so goes for the Gore, the 619 and the shotting star press.

Bradshaw's clothesline from hell seemed to have a lot more kick in it when he was in the APA, or maybe i just think that because he came across a lot tougher in those days.

Someone should start using the Last Ride or Razor's Edge again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

D-FENS wrote:
    Someone should start using the Last Ride or Razor's Edge again.

yeah, maybe snitsky or someone other big guy could use it. Undertaker looked terrible doing it or trying to do it. Sometimes he would just throw them over his shoulders instead of stalling and then throwing them over his shoulders.Maybe a five or six years earlier when other wrestlers were smaller.
    he's much better now thought.
    And razor(scot hall) couldnt do his finisher either by the end, shame it was pretty good as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

styles clash from the ropes is a great move and low ki's attack in general is pretty devasting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Brow

Petey Williams is fantastic to see pulled off. There are a lack of good moves though. Monty Browns 'Pounce' pisses me off that he gets so over with such a crap move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Evilution

I've never seen this styles clash before - anyone have a website where I can download a clip of it???
    Kinda right though, a lot of the finishers today are watered down to hell. I used to love the Hurricanes (then: Shane Helms) Brain-Buster though; looked ugly as fukk. Tests Big Boot if done right could look great too.

Was never a fan of the big boot myself. The Vertebreaker was great as you mentioned. Also the version of emerald fusion Nova used to do. Kryptonite Crunch i think....

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

Nobody likes the Tbone suplex?? Or the Angle slam?

Yeah, I like the ol' T-Bone suplex but it lacks the crunch of the really good ones. That said, Kurts AngleSlam back in the day was great. I remember a match on heat about 4 years ago where he nearly broke Jeff Hardy in half with it.
    Brow, the Kryptonite crunch is class as you said. If done right it can really make you flinch looking at it.
    I just don't think there's any decent ideas for finishing moves these days. All the push is on the storylines and gimmicks but not the finishers. All that aside I can still remember the WWF crowd going crazy when stone cold would give someone a stunner - it was usually just done so suddenly!!!
    Actually, that just reminds me. I was watching a friends ECW dvds a while back and seen a match with Stevie Richards vs Sabu. At one point Stevie reverses an irish whip and sends Sabu to the ropes. He then spins on a dime and superkicks Sabu right in the snot from point-blank range. Now THAT is good use of a finisher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Evilution wrote:
    I just don't think there's any decent ideas for finishing moves these days. All the push is on the storylines and gimmicks but not the finishers. All that aside I can still remember the WWF crowd going crazy when stone cold would give someone a stunner - it was usually just done so suddenly!!!

That's what I'm talking about.There were certain wrestlers you would watch in the hope that you'd get to see their finishing move used on someone.
    I don't feel there's any great finishers these days.The Stone Cold Stunner as you said was great because it was so sudden.I liked the Rock Bottom as well especially when Rock feuded with Austin around Wresltemania 17.The finishing moves played a big part in that storyline.One week,Austin stunned Rock because Rock had let Debra get injured,I think.I believe the next week,Rock tried to get back at Austin when he was in a match with Angle but instead he got stunned again.The next week on Raw,Rock gave Austin a stunner!Finishing moves can be a great part of a storyline...

Best example of a storyline based on a finisher -

Anyone remember "Ban the DDT" ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭cannonballkid

Luther regins finisher is cool the neckbrecker. petey williams flip piledriver is cool. i love the raven effect its fair cool.

There seems to be a recurring list of mentions here which proves the point that there isnt many good finishers these days. Just a few. I used to like Spankys Sliced Bread #2 when he was in WWE and the Acid Drop as well. Nothing spectacular but entertaining to see none the less. Also Christians unprettier.

I think the problem is that what used to be great finishers, piledrivers, ddts, top rope suplexes and stuff like that have been brought into matches as normal moves. This dilutes their effect (i mean what are you going to think if the rock gets pinned after a ddt when stevie richards can kick out of one) and it also adds to the danger of getting injured, which means that moves such as the vertebreaker and piledriver get banned (in the wwe) because everyone (not just those that can carry them off safely or as signature moves) is doing them some are being sloppy and hurting people, costing companies money

Brow wrote:
    ...Spankys Sliced Bread #2 ...
    Only seen it twice but it was class :D

I keep thinking on some. Ultimo Dragons DDT was good for the time he was in WWE.

What you point out savemejebus is exactly whats happened. By making mathces more extreme over the years finishers have had to get more impactful and crazy to balance out the effect. Its been catchin up on them for some time now. Sure Greg Valentine finisher the 'Hammerlock' is now used in nearly every match id say.

I have seen Muhammad Hassan's finisher and it's pretty good. I dont know what Muhammad calls it but I think it's the same one Chris Jericho tried a few years ago, He called it the breakdown and it kinda looks like a reverse rock bottom.

jeff jarrett uses the move and calles it the stroke Edge and Kanyon also used similar moves

• Advertisement

jeff jarrett uses the move and calles it the stroke Edge and Kanyon also used similar moves

Edge called it the downward spiral.

Hussain does it well alright, lightning fast.

Does Jeff Jarrett not do it from behind like Jericho did. Jericho called it the breakdown and used it a lot when he was undisputed champion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Kencu

There are a few good finishers. Benoits Crossface, the Pedigree, Sweet Chin Music, the Frog Splash and on the rare occasions he uses it Booker T’s Harlem Hangover.

They just build matches better these days. I like a lot of people got bored and am still bored of the finisher, kick out, finisher, kick out finisher 1-2-3 endings that seemed to happen in every match. I was fine with it when it was restricted to the main event but I don’t want to see that in mid card matches.

ha the crossface, iirc in wcw one wrestler actually pulled his arm out from between benoits legs to tap out to this, haven't been able to take it seriously since

Ive yet to see it but i hear Mavens new finisher is pretty sick looking. Makes you flinch the first time you see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Kencu

So basically your issue with the cross face is how it was sold not with the actuall move itself.

I think thats the basic crux of the problem. It's not that the moves aren't as good as the old one's it's the selling of them. Who will ever forget Shane o Mac's selling of the Stunner with the spitting of the beer or Rocky's overelaborate triple handstand type dealy. Watch Eddie selling the crossface and tell me it doesnt rock!

Why has Benoit been using the crossface differently lately?It looks like a chokehold the way he does it now.I would tap out within seconds!

I remember when he did that for the first time in WWE when he choked Jericho out with it. Jericho literally went blue. That takes me back...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭TOPDAWG

How tame is the "walls of jericho" compared to when it was the "lion tamer" its basically just a boston crab now. how about paul londons dragon suplex tho?? man thats sum sick shiit!!! everything he does is sick, how is the guy not on smackdown regularly???

• Advertisement

Because he's not over six foot or packin 300 pounds.

Too right, hopefully he'll win the cruiserweight title at Wrestle Mania and we can see more of him. I saw him in a match on ROH and it was amazing.

Actually, getting back on topic , Paul Londons finisher used to be the shooting star press but it was changed because kidman already had it. What a waste!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

the simplest finishers are always the best, IMO - like the Hurricane's - c'mon straight forward kick to the back of the head - fantastic

or as the Japanese commentators say

"Shiiiiiniiing Wiiiiizaaaaaaarrrrrrrd"

I'm not big on the shining wizard. Sometimes it looks cool, other times tame. Like the big boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

Bring back the worm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Brow wrote:
    I'm not big on the shining wizard. Sometimes it looks cool, other times tame. Like the big boot.

but you have to agree, that when it is done correctly, the shining wizard looks like a devestating finisher

Hurricane when he does it, always to perfection - and most of the Japanese wrestlers that use it aswell

• Advertisement

When done right, yeah it looks good but in terms of the Hurricane his Vertebreaker is much better. Damn WWE for outlawing it.

Has anyone seen Chris Masters finisher or lack of one

It's just a swinger punch to the face followed by full nelson. He better come up with a new one soon or he'll never get any where in the WWE

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Kio

he is going noware anyway he is there to see if he is ready for the big time and if he isn't he will go back to OVW and if he is he will get 2 months off and be back with a new gimmick and finishing m :confused: ve

stalfos wrote:
    Has anyone seen Chris Masters finisher or lack of one

It's just a swinger punch to the face followed by full nelson. He better come up with a new one soon or he'll never get any where in the WWE

I agree.It's a shame because he's got the right look and his entrance music is cool.I think the WWE should allow him to use something like the Rude Awakening since he is basically supposed to be a modern day Rick Rude.

Good idea but i dont think he has even done a suplex yet which is even worse. He broke steven richards nose last week but where can he go just beating on nobodies every week. I agree with kio and he should go back to the drawing board and think of a proper character.

• Advertisement

I agree.It's a shame because he's got the right look and his entrance music is cool.I think the WWE should allow him to use something like the Rude Awakening since he is basically supposed to be a modern day Rick Rude.

Or the Narcissist.
    The gimmick is so dated, but personally i was glad to see an old school move like the Full nelson, brought me back to the days of Hercules and Billy Jack Haynes.

I think he'll use the full nelson til he gets a bit better than he'll just use it as a trade mark. We havnt seen Simon Dean do a finisher yet either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Zip

I remember the days(well only once acctually)that jericho would interfere in one of hhh matches and double powerbomb him on a steel chair(the double powerbomb itself was good cause he didnt just give his opponent 1 powerbomb he gave them 2 without even dropping him after the first 1)

I remember that move, it was sweet but Jericho struggled to do it on some opponents. One move I was reminded of the other day and completely forgot about it but Charlie Haas's Haas Of Pain.

Advertisement