Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thermaltake Water Cooling

Options
  • 08-02-2005 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm taking the plunge and going for some water-cooling for my AMD64 system. My reasons are because the stock HSF is crap and I don't like running "normal" temperatures around the 48-52c (with occasional 60c) range, and I want to quieten my system since my case has 7 fans on it (thermaltake Xaser III case).

I am not planning to o/c, but what I am looking to do is replace both the CPU and GPU HSF units. Since I've a GeForceFX 5900, the fan is a noisy bugger.

I've eyed up and priced the Thermaltake Big-Water cooling system, and all the reviews for it seem to be very, very favourable. Because of my case's slightly "odd" layout I'm unsure about the Antartic cooling system, but I at least know that this will definitely fit in my case and do the job right too.

Only thing is, I can't find any reviews for the Waterblock I want. It's newer than the old aluminium Aquaris one and I'm not even sure if it has been released yet?

Anyone heard anything about it?

Anyone got any suggestions/tips/warnings about water-cooling in general?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

I can tell you by looking at that block that it would be good for a GPU as it wont impact your flow rate too much and will keep the card cool.
    My only tip is dont do what i did and sock your whole system.
    Do a leak test before you put it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Why not go for a better heatsink then? Stock HS are usually crap. You'll be able to get a lot better temps with a good heatsink. I'd suggest getting a XP-90 with a good fan with it.
    Not sure about TT Big Water cooling but I'm not a big fan of watercooling kit. Remember, the best watercooling kit is not as good as the best air cooling.
    Since you are not overclocking, I wouldnt bother that much with watercooling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭padraigf

Since when is the best watercooling not as good as the best air cooling ?!

I'd like to see any air-cooling, even air cooling with a 120mm Delta focussed flow fan (~200cfm ~60dB) and an Xp-120 beat a decent water cooling system. Why do you think all the hardcore overclockers get water-cooling instead of air if water is better? Why would people spend multiples more money on water if air is better? It just doesnt make sense.

But to answer the OP, I'd suggest decent air cooling. Xp-90 and a good fan will get you decent temps for the price of a single part of a watercooling kit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

I said best watercooling KIT is not as good as best air cooling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

I have the bigwater kit , its (OK), not the best, very cheaply made, i dont have the gpu block, Personally i would go for the maze 4 which are known to be a good gpu block, the cpu block you get with the bigwater kit is pretty good, Heavy, i havnt used it but im sure its pretty good, the old aquarius 2 ones were worse but preforemed ok so id say this preforms bette. its not a bad kit but a bit flimsy and the 120mm fan isnt exactly quiet at full rpms, But for the price its worth it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭padraigf

What about a Koolance Exos AI ? Thats a watercooling KIT and one of the best watercooling setups (Bar some extreme DangerDen setup) around.
    What about the Antarctica KIT from komplett ? I personally can't imagine my cooler besting a watercooling kit such as that.

padraigf wrote:
    What about a Koolance Exos AI ? Thats a watercooling KIT and one of the best watercooling setups (Bar some extreme DangerDen setup) around.
    What about the Antarctica KIT from komplett ? I personally can't imagine my cooler besting a watercooling kit such as that.

Thats True also, it all depends on how much you wana spend, the best aircooling is gonna be cheaper then a very decent watercooling setup, but there are a good few watercooling kits that would thrash any aircooling setup, obviously they would be a lot more expensive then the best HSF's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

Do any a them kits on komplett fare well?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Zalman Reserator

lomb wrote:
    Zalman Reserator

Thought that was supposed to be crap, no????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

I'd go for the coolermaster aquagate myself of these pre built jobbies getting churned out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Custom kits are better value in fairness. I spent 250 on one for my CPU/GPU, maximum temps I get on my 3400+ are 31 degrees. I doubt an air cooler could do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Cina, what kind of noise dampening did you get when you replaced both your CPU & GPU fans?

Whilst keeping my system cool is rather high on my priority list, I also want to dampen the sound level, which I think a lot of people have overlooked from some of the suggestions given.

How effective is water-based GPU cooling?

Lemming wrote:
    Cina, what kind of noise dampening did you get when you replaced both your CPU & GPU fans?

Whilst keeping my system cool is rather high on my priority list, I also want to dampen the sound level, which I think a lot of people have overlooked from some of the suggestions given.

How effective is water-based GPU cooling?

It is much better than aircooling on a GPU, brings down temps by over 20 degrees for me, u need decent ramsinks aswell though for the memory

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

gline wrote:
    It is much better than aircooling on a GPU, brings down temps by over 20 degrees for me, u need decent ramsinks aswell though for the memory

Any recommended GPU ram-sinks? The card in question is a GeForceFX 5900

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

For water cooling in Ireland and if you want it quick, I'd go to Hitide. I got my water cooling supplies there. I cool my CPU, Chipset, 9800Pro Duel side (GPU Side and ram side). Then it leads off in to a Duel 120mm rad. With two 120mm fans cooling it at very low RPM. I can even turn them off if the system is idle. I got the Eheim 1046 water pump witch is made to be quite, but gives off alot of vibrations. So you get the Rubber vibration feet and it wont make any noise unless your water is low :)

Just get your-self Some DI water and use the sultion thing for anti-corrosion and youd be sorted.

in a game, with the fans turned up, I get about 36c on the CPU and a water temp of 26c. (the water temp is what it is just after coming out of the rad) Hopefuly I will be selling my rig next month. Minus the 400gig drive and one of the 200gig drives ;)

But the best thing about hitide is that you can call out to the lad and have a chat with him. He's a very sound lad and really knows his watercooling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

I had an antartica kit from komplett, it was good.

I got from 2GHZ (AMD64 3200+) to 2640GHZ, which is a good overclock for an AMD64! It was passed the 3800+ speeds i think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

Jammer wrote:

I got from 2GHZ (AMD64 3200+) to 2640GHZ, which is a good overclock for an AMD64! It was passed the 3800+ speeds i think?

I assume you mean the 215€ one no?

Was that luck or it it really a high end kit?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

Jammer wrote:

meh, mine does 2.7Ghz with an xp-90 and doesn't see past 52C load with the fan on low speed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement