Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Broadband's Taking up my virtual memory

• 08-02-2005 9:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭

Im no wiz on computers but ever since i got broadband my pc has been slow(apparently the virtual memory is low). any pointers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭col22

fitzer666 wrote:
    Im no wiz on computers but ever since i got broadband my pc has been slow(apparently the virtual memory is low). any pointers
    get a new pc fitzer!
    (do i know you from somewhere)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭johnjay

Sounds a tad virusy, u got a decent virus scanner??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

are you using usb or ethernet?
    what specs are your pc?
    do you have a lot of programs using your regular memory?
    what os?
    what bb?

come on , come on , info is what we need.....

and col22 i hope your joking......

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Have you got a firewall running? Download spybot adaware etc and run them and see if they find stuff but as someone else here as asked give full details of your setup too next time you post.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

This can happen if you dont have enough free space on your hard drive.
    If it is full, just uninstall some stuff. You want at the very least to have 3 times the amount your real RAM as virtual ram, but ideally you should have a lot more free space on your hard drive.

• Advertisement

Chalk wrote:
    are you using usb or ethernet?
    what specs are your pc?
    do you have a lot of programs using your regular memory?
    what os?
    what bb?

come on , come on , info is what we need.....

and col22 i hope your joking......
    i waz you see hes my friend he lives near me

it might be because he could be getin viruses over this shareware system he has its called limewire. and he uses da wireless adapter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭The Fitz

johnjay wrote:
    Sounds a tad virusy, u got a decent virus scanner??
    I have errorguard, works fine, deletes plenty of errors just need my pc to free up space so it wont go as slow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Errorguard is not a virus scanner

jesus fitzy everyone knows that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

col22, cut out the crap please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

Try this for Spyware Microsoft Anitspyware
    Its very good and its free

And this is a great virus checker AVG Virus scanner
    Download the free version. You get free updates with both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

CatInABox wrote:
    This can happen if you dont have enough free space on your hard drive.
    If it is full, just uninstall some stuff. You want at the very least to have 3 times the amount your real RAM as virtual ram, but ideally you should have a lot more free space on your hard drive.

What's hard drive space got to do with virtual memory? (genuine question bythe way, I'm just curious)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Erm, virtual memory is the pc using your hard drive as if it were ram. The more disk space you have the more effeciantly, and faster this virtual ram will run. Due to the nature of windows and the way it's programmed, windows likes to use virtual ram in preference to actual physical ram (the stuff in your computer).

Anyways don't go anywhere near Microsoft Antispyware (as it is spyware after all).
    Col, you make me laugh... but not in a good way, go on the skangers!

Anyways get these three programs and your pc should run alot smoother:
    AdAware SE: www.lavasoft.de
    Zonealarm: www.zonelabs.com
    AVG Free Virus Scanner: www.grisoft.com

Scan your computer with both AdAware (an adware scanner) and AVG (a virus scanner). FYI Errorchecker only checks for errors in the registry, this offers you absolutely no protection against spyware or viruses what so ever.

Hope this helps, if you have any more questions either reply here or pm me.

*edit*

Ohh this just came to mind also. Limeware is very heavily loaded with spyware and is an extremely intensive CPU hog, it uses javascript alot which isn't very efficiant code and even on my pc which is pretty mid range but nonetheless powerful, i had difficulty running it a few times. Only downloaded it the once in the vain attempt that i'd be able to find some files i couldn't find anywhere else on another of the other reliable P2P sources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Achilles wrote:
    Due to the nature of windows and the way it's programmed, windows likes to use virtual ram in preference to actual physical ram (the stuff in your computer).
    It's just a *tiny* bit more complicated than that :)
    Anyways don't go anywhere near Microsoft Antispyware (as it is spyware after all).
    It's spyware.....if you're paranoid. I'd recommend installing MS Antispyware. It has real-time protection, and will pick up things that other spyware programs don't. Use this along with other spyware progs for the best coverage.

Fitzer, we still can't give you any useful help until you post your machine specs.

Lol i didn't mean to type it's spyware, i meant to type it's microsoft... My head's frazzled here man i'm in programming class at the moment trying to program with arrays. Surely you can understand why i'm just a tad bit cloudy right now, especially with only 2 hours sleep :-P

Anyways i still wouldn't recommend Microsoft Antispyware, but then i guess i just don't trust microsoft. A Combination of Spybot Search & Destroy and AdAware would be best.

*edit*

Oh and the reason i didn't go into too much detail about virtual ram is that he's a noob... not saying he wouldn't understand but at this stage he just doesn't need to know. That's all :-P

And all I can say now is... YAY LUNCH TIME!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Moved to Windows.

seamus wrote:
    It's just a *tiny* bit more complicated than that :)
    It's spyware.....if you're paranoid. I'd recommend installing MS Antispyware. It has real-time protection, and will pick up things that other spyware programs don't. Use this along with other spyware progs for the best coverage.

Fitzer, we still can't give you any useful help until you post your machine specs.

Exacto, but if you're paranoid like Achilles, unistall everything thats Microsoft on your PC and also get rid of broadband! :D

MickFarr wrote:
    Exacto, but if you're paranoid like Achilles, unistall everything thats Microsoft on your PC and also get rid of broadband! :D
    Lol ohh yeah like you've never typed something and meant something else :-P
    In an ideal world we'd all be using linux that had a built in Virus/Spyware detector.

And by that i mean it'd detect someone trying to write something of this nature and report them to the Anti Spam Consortium For Paranoid Geeks Inc.

Off topic,

Just check out some of your vid's on your website. I'm impressed, very nice work! On Replicate Coke is that just Star Trek screen saver or what is it??

• Advertisement

Dude I'm not being funny but if you wanna ask me a question about the vids please use the forums on the site. I don't wanna be hijacking anyone's thread on here. Cheers i'll give you all the answers on the site :P

Advertisement