Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Polishing machine ?

Options
  • 08-02-2005 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know where I can buy a car polishing machine (looks like an angle grinder) new or s/h, single phase ?

(I have tried the cheap ones for sale in Argos and they are c@#p. I used to work as a panel beater and know a goodin' from a badin' :D)

Silvera.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

How much do you want to spend? They start at about 20 for junk and up to
    a few hundred fro the best (Porter). You HAVE to buy a random orbital type as it gives the best results. I have a farily cheap one (by Sealey) I admit but of the orbital type and I use it only for buffing wax so it does'nt have to perform miracles.

SEAER250P.jpg

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

sander polisher rulez, you have to learn have to use it , very easy to burn the paint off and you can use it every Sunday(there will be nothing left from the paint on the car)
    YOu get top results and can buy them cheap on ebay 39.99 with 1300w motor - 1000-3000RPM. Pad size180mm
    eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=30923&item=7952780059&rd=1#ebayphotohosting
    they great for paint restoration or finishing, got one from ebay and still works ,it's well build but also heavy considering to sealey or other brand but they cost mad money

argos orbital sanders suck big time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I would only buy the 'angle grinder' style polisher, I find it gives the best results, and I would be using it for paint restoration only - not waxing.

Was hoping to come across a good quality s/h unit in Ireland ?
    (Am a bit wary of eBay stuff)

Though I must admit the one on eBay looks like great value - stg£39.35 ?!

This is the type I'm looking for -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The market must be tiny for the type you're after, you might find something in a trade magazine classified. I was browsing one at a local garage only the other week only I can't remember its name.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

my one still works fine. has user serviceable brushes and was made some where in germany , the only thing is that is heavy

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote:
    The market must be tiny for the type you're after, you might find something in a trade magazine classified. I was browsing one at a local garage only the other week only I can't remember its name.
    Mike.

On the contrary mike65, this is the type of polisher used by professionals (valeters, bodyshops, etc).

I used one when I worked in the trade 'many moons ago'.
    (Incidentially, there is a thread about them on www.carmechanicsmag.co.uk)

Regards,
    Silvera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

I bought a 35e one, and as someone said useless. I now jam it under rear wheels to stop car rolling away !

Yeah, I bought one in Argos two years ago, but brought it back and got a refund a few days later !

Advertisement