Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Only Fools and Horses"

Options
  • 08-02-2005 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,427 ✭✭✭✭

Would you buy a used phone company from this man?

delboyportrait.jpg
    Philip Nolan

0000056a0b2.jpg
    Delboy

Story "Eircom upbeat on broadband target"
    Eircom said it had 114,000 broadband customers by the end of December 2004, that number has grown to 117,000 today. The company said it is now focused on a new target of 500,000 broadband customers by December 2007.

Thats about 3,000 a month = 36,000 a year = 222,000 by December 2007

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

It's snide comments like this from the Irish Times 9th Feb 2005......
    Asked if Eircom was planning to increase telephone line rental chares, Dr Nolan said he had not decided what to do about it.

"We certainly have the option to do it... but who knows," he said.

It's such words that fall so effortlessly from the smug mouth of Nolan that still stun me every time.

Simply scandalous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

Dangger wrote:

It's such words that fall so effortlessly from the smug mouth of

Listen also to McRedmond here on rte yesterday.

What's even more stunning is how the media swallows and supports the company PR.

...200 000 rural broadband connections by March 2006... 90% coverage...

To reach the proclaimed gov target of 500 000 overall bb connections by end 2006, we would need to see a continuous average weekly growth of over 3700 new connections.

Noel Dempsey has said the DCMNR will publish quarterly bb figures. I wonder will they do that.

To reach Eircom's declared target of 500 000 dsl connections by end 2007, we would not to see a constant week by week growth of over 2500 new connections.

P.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

...200 000 rural broadband connections by March 2006... 90% coverage...
    How. Will the Tooth Fairy connect to the USB port ?

At present Eircom only provide DSL in town over 1500 population . These towns over 1500 population are what are defined by the CSO as urban. Therefore Eircom really only provide DSL in URBAN areas.

As the number of DSL enabled exchanges outside these towns is 9 ...being the Udarás funded exchanges not part of any Eircom initiated rollout ......Mc Redmond will have a hard job getting 200,000 connections out of Carraroe and Gweedore.

By the same logic it can be said that Eircom (left to their own devices) have not DSL enabled any Rural Exchanges Whatsoever.

Don't start me on Wireless and Eircom :(
    Noel Dempsey has said the DCMNR will publish quarterly bb figures. I wonder will they do that.
    Comreg started a wide ranging consultation on their notorious quarterly report format last week. I am surprised that you of all people hadn't commented on that by now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

In the piece which McRedmond did on the RTE show he mentioned that they had announced the rollout of BB to an additional 200 exchanges. I've checked the Eircom website and can't find any details on this, does anyone have a list of the exchanges which are going to be BB enabled ?

Thanks

M.

Mr_Man wrote:
    In the piece which McRedmond did on the RTE show he mentioned that they had announced the rollout of BB to an additional 200 exchanges. I've checked the Eircom website and can't find any details on this, does anyone have a list of the exchanges which are going to be BB enabled ?

Not as such.

Eircom have a list of 200 exchanges all right but it was never announced in the media .

They divided that list into exchanges to be done by the end of June and others.

They then divided THAT list to be done by June into localised lists . These were sent to the local media only. When the list for Galway was published a while back I checked with 1800503303 Sales and they confirmed it no problem.

The fact that the 'new' list for Galway bears no relationship to Population or to Trigger levels may explain the reason for Eircoms coyness. Some of the exchanges to be done are tiny while significant towns were left out. The ones to be done by end June include Oughterard . Claregalway . Ballyglunin , Ardrahan, Mountbellew, Portumna and Barna . Ardrahan for one is absolutely tiny.

Sizeable towns NOT Included are Clifden , Moycullen , Headford . Clarinbridge, Kinvara , Spiddle . There may simply be too many pairgains in those towns to warrant the investment which is why Eircom are keeping quite about the rollout and even quieter about the 'missing' towns.

The original big rollout announced in 2003 was towns with a population over 1,500 in the 2002 census. The pattern behind the next rollout ..the one that was never really announced....is roughly towns over 1,000 and under 1,500 . Completion date end 2006 for them lads I hear. At the end of this underannounced process DSL will be available from some 420 exchanges out of 1,100 nationwide or 38% of all exchanges by end 2006 .

HTH

• Advertisement

The list is given in the Eircom advret in the business section of today's Irish Times. Having counted them there appears to be only 185 exchanges listed. Martin will be pleased to know that Castlefin is included, as is a few of the other smaller villages in Donegal.

As SpongeBob notes some of the choices seem strange, there are a few one horse towns in the list, and a few glaring ommissions. It will be interesting to see how long it takes for the upgrade work to be done.

M.

Can someone scan that list ?

Ta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Aftereight

I live in North Clare and would dearly love broadband. Many nights I cannot get on line for whatevever reason {please tell me why} But it is very frustrating not to get on line and even more frustrating is that downloading is so so so so so so sllow

As requested

M.

Ahhh Yes.

In addition to the ones to be done by June , Eircom say they will also do the following exchanges in Galway.

Glenamaddy, Spiddle, , Invern, Teeranea (Tír an Fhia) , Costelloe, Kilannin .

They do not say when though. I believe end 2006 .

I also note that they finally intend to activate state funded fibre ring assets installed in the late 1990s around West Donegal and East Connemara , hence the high number of small exchanges in those areas scheduled for a DSL install .

Clifden is beyond that fibre and still not scheduled I note .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,427 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Mr_Man wrote:
    Scan of exchange list
    Whoa! I wonder who taught them to sort things alphabetically. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

eircom Press Release:
    eircom to provide Broadband access to 90% of country by 2006

Today we announced the rollout of the next phase of our DSL Broadband service to 200 rural communities across the country which will deliver 90% Broadband coverage in Ireland by March 2006. eircom broadband will now be available to business and residential customers with phone lines in places such as Dunfanaghy, Achill, Ballydehob and Avoca. To date, we have broadband enabled over 1.5 million customer lines nationwide, and we currently have 118,000 broadband connections.

We have now delivered on our promise to bring the technology to every town in Ireland with a population over 1,500. In addition, we continue to invest in and improve our existing lines ensuring more customers have access to eircom broadband.

Commenting on the announcement, David McRedmond, Commercial Director, eircom said: "At eircom we believe everyone should have broadband. Having rolled out broadband to every town in Ireland, our focus is now on smaller communities. Today's announcement to extend broadband to 200 of these communities will see broadband available to 90% of eircom lines. We now want to complete the job with 100% rollout and we are working with Government to make this aspiration a reality."

DSL Deployment 2005-2006 (180 confirmed sites)

A
    ABBEYLEIX
    ABBEYDORNEY
    ACHILL SOUND
    ACLARE
    ADARE
    ANNAGARY
    ARDARA
    ARDFERT
    ARDRAHAN
    ARVAGH
    ASKEATON
    AUGHRIM
    AVOCA

B
    BALLINAGH
    BALLINALEE
    BALLINHASSIG
    BALLINSPITTLE
    BALLINTRA
    BALLIVOR
    BALLYBOGHIL
    BALLYCARNEY
    BALLYCONNELL
    BALLYCULLANE
    BALLYDEHOB
    BALLYFARNAN
    BALLYGARRET
    BALLYGLUNIN
    BALLYHAUNIS
    BALLYHEIGE
    BALLYMACELLIGOTT
    BALLYMOTE
    BALLYRAGGET
    BALLYSPILLANE
    BALLYVARY
    BALTINGLASS
    BANSHA
    BELTURBET
    BENNETTSBRIDGE
    BERRINGS
    BLIARY
    BORRIS
    BRIDGE END
    BRITTAS
    BRITTAS BAY BRIDGE
    BROADFORD
    BRUFF
    BUNCLODY
    BUTTEVANT

C
    CAHIRCIVEEN
    CALLAN
    CAMPILE
    CARLINGFORD
    CARNEW
    CARRICK
    CARRIGNAVAR
    CASTLEBELLINGHAM
    CASTLECONNELL
    CASTLEDERMOT
    CASTLEFINN
    CASTLELYONS
    CASTLESHANE
    CLAREGALWAY
    CLARINA
    CLERISTOWN
    CLOGHEEN
    CLONTIBRET
    COACHFORD
    COLLON
    COLLOONEY
    CORROFIN
    COSTELLO
    CROOKSTOWN
    CROSSMOLINA
    CURRAGH CAMP

D
    DAINGEAN
    DELVIN
    DONADEA
    DOON
    DRIMOLEAGUE
    DROMAHAIR
    DRUMLISH
    DRUMSHANBO
    DUNCANNON
    DUNFANAGHY
    DUNKINEELY
    DUNLEER
    DURRUS

E
    EASKY
    EDGEWORTHSTOWN
    ELPHIN

F
    FALCARRAGH
    FERBANE
    FOXFORD
    FOYNES

G
    GEASHILL
    GLASSAN
    GLENNAMADDY
    GLENTIES
    GRENAGH

H
    HOLYCROSS

I
    INCH ST. LAWRENCE
    INVER
    INVERAN

J
    JENKINSTOWN
    JOHNSTOWN

K
    KILBEGGAN
    KILBRITTAIN
    KILCARN
    KILLALA
    KILLALOE
    KILLANN
    KILLAVULLEN
    KILLEAGH
    KILLENAULE
    KILLERISK
    KILMACTHOMAS
    KILMALLOCK
    KILMEADEN
    KILMINCHY
    KINGSCOURT
    KINNEGAD
    KNOCK
    KNOCKCROGHERY

L
    LISDOONVARNA
    LISMORE
    LITTLETON

M
    MANORHAMILTON
    MILFORD
    MILLSTREET
    MOONCOIN
    MOUNTBELLEW
    MOUNTRATH
    MOVILLE
    MOYCULLEN
    MULLAGH

N
    NEWMARKET-ON-FERGUS
    NEWPORT
    NEWTOWN CUNNINGHAM

O
    OLDCASTLE
    OMEATH
    OULART
    OYLGATE

P
    PALLAS GREEN
    PASSAGE EAST
    PEDLAR'S CROSS
    PORTLAW
    PORTUMNA

R
    RAMELTON
    RAVENSDALE
    RIVERSTICK
    RIVERSTOWN (Tipp)
    RIVERSTOWN (Sligo)
    ROCHFORTBRIDGE
    ROOSKEY
    ROSS CARBERRY
    ROSSLARE STRAND

S
    SCARRIFF
    SCOTSTOWN
    SHANAGOLDEN
    SHINRONE
    SIXMILEBRIDGE
    SMITHBOROUGH
    SPIDDAL
    STRADBALLY
    STRADONE
    STRAFFAN
    STRANDHILL
    STROKESTOWN

T
    TALLOW
    TAMNEY
    TARA
    TARBERT
    TEERANEA
    TINAHELY
    TOBERCURRY
    TOMHAGGARD

V
    VIRGINIA

W
    WATERGRASSHILL
    WATERVILLE
    WELLINGTON BRIDGE

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Now that eircom are in every "town" it still leaves a total of 1,582,921 people who can't get Broadband according to this CSO document.

The CSO doc also contains the lists of all towns under 1500 in population. If anyone has the time they might like to take eircom's list and cross-check it against the CSO list and see how many villages still won't be able to get broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

We have now delivered on our promise to bring the technology to every town in Ireland with a population over 1,500. In addition, we continue to invest in and improve our existing lines ensuring more customers have access to eircom broadband.

That is not quite true. Eircom installed a new exchange within the Athy "Urban District" (that is, the part controlled by the town council) in December after a long delay and an awful lot of pushing. While the bulk of the town is "DSL-enabled", this exchange is not, and the "upgrade" date has already slipped from March to "May or June".

The usual twaddle. Lets assume every Eircom line is straight (and not falling off the pole or pairgained beyond redemption ) .

eircom to provide Broadband access to 90% of country by 2006

420 exchanges * 4.5Km max ADSL range depicted as a circle centred on the exchange so Pi x R2 gives this max possible coverage .

is

((4.5*4.5)*3.15)x(420) = 26,800 Km 2 Coverage in a country with a 70,000 km 2 area

Therefore if every line was dead straight and working properly and there were no overlapping coverage areas the maximum possible Eircom DSL coverage by End 2006 is

38% of Exchanges and
    38% of the state by area

Given the overlaps and crooked lines its fair to say that the area figure cannot possibly exceed 25% and thats by end 2006 too. If we handed the same 420 exchanges to BT they would manage 10km coverage which would nearly cover the entire state twice over in theory smile.gif The population stats are probably better than the geo stats but remember that Eircom was claiming 80% coverage for the 2003 ADSL phase that ends in March 2005. The problem is that less than 60% of the population live in those towns and that the usual tame muppets in the media would not add up the CSO data .

As Eircom is now announcing 200 towns with a population of under 1500 each we can see that the maximum population coverage , again being nice to Eircom , will be 1499 * 200 or 299,800 persons . Thats 7.5% of the population of the state in addition to the 59% or so who are currently nominally serviced. In reality not every one of these towns has 1499 persons :) .

59% + 7.5% is 66.5% population coverage , max , by end 2006 .

Of the almost two thirds of the population who live on or near an enabled exchange by end 2006 we know from experience that about soem 70% May pass the DSL line test on Eircoms crummy copper. Thats from the Eircom SEC filing last year . 70% of that 66.5 % would be 46% of the entire population .

Therefore :

By the end of 2006 Eircom will probably be able to supply ADSL to some 46% of the population living across no more than 38% of the state . Normally there is a BIG difference between 46% and 90% buts thats unless you call yourself an Irish Tech Journalist because they never check their facts frown.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

damien.m wrote:
    Now that eircom are in every "town" it still leaves a total of 1,582,921 people who can't get Broadband according to this CSO document.
    which will deliver 90% Broadband coverage in Ireland by March 2006. eircom broadband will now be available to business and residential customers with phone lines in places such as... To date, we have broadband enabled over 1.5 million customer lines nationwide, and we currently have 118,000 broadband connections.

Commenting on the announcement, David McRedmond, Commercial Director, eircom said: "At eircom we believe everyone should have broadband. Having rolled out broadband to every town in Ireland, our focus is now on smaller communities. Today's announcement to extend broadband to 200 of these communities will see broadband available to 90% of eircom lines.

Again, manipulation at its best from McRedmond.

The fact that 90% of lines will originate from broadband enabled exchanges does not deliver a 90% broadband coverage!

1.5 million lines originating from bb enabled exchanges, are not broadband enabled. With a failure rate of 20 % it's down to 1.2 million.

If 20% of those lines cannot carry broadband, as is the current state – and I assume in the more rural areas this percentage will not be better – then the population coverage (that is the one that matters) in March 2006 will be at 78%. Better than nothing, but not at EU-15 average.

P.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

OMG! Ballintra to get broadband? It can't be true! \o/

Thanks damien for the bearer of somewhat great news! I can hopefully (assuming i pass a test) get rid of the overpriced ISDN at last! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Archytas

I have to agree with sponge bob.. I live in a town with 8000 people in it and they don't even have a date for us... check it.. its sallins... And when we ring them customer services they say we're on the naas exchange but ring eircom bb customer service and they say that sallins has its own exchange and they dont have a date to upgrade it....

Eircom don't even know where they're own exchanges are!!! AGGGGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHG!!!!! What a load of crap... One more reason why I hate this country!!!!

Advertisement