Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesco insurance

Options
  • 08-02-2005 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Thought some of ye might be interested to know Tesco are going to start offering car insurance in Ireland aswell. They sent me an e-mail letting me know, as I've ordered from their online shopping/home delivery service before. Doesn't mention a date, but should be fairly soon.

http://www.tesco.ie/finance/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I heard about this while back, someone posted about a trial run in the Waterford area...I'll be very interested to se how broad-based they will be. I expect they'll be plenty of small print.

Mike.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Who's underwriting them?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

https://www.tescopf.co.uk/tpf_ie/data2.html
    Tesco Car Insurance is arranged byTesco Personal Finance Ltd, it is underwritten and administered by Hibernian General Insurance Ltd.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If they're being underwritten by Hibernian, they'll probably operate like the AA. Good rates and packages, but strict criteria to qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Aye, they gave me a link to check for quotes, but won't quote any cars over 1.6L, put in another car and the quote seemed pretty good.

(Before anyone asks, I don't have the e-mail/link with me...)

• Advertisement

koneko wrote:
    Aye, they gave me a link to check for quotes, but won't quote any cars over 1.6L, put in another car and the quote seemed pretty good.

(Before anyone asks, I don't have the e-mail/link with me...)
    Then don't tease us woman! :)

Can you remember what kind of details you put in, and what kind of quote you got? Give us a ballpark figure. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭meepmeep

This is a bit from the email.

THE BENEFITS

Tesco’s low prices combined with Hibernian’s excellent service and cover track record
    24 hour Breakdown Assistance & 24 hour Accident Helpline
    All network repairs guaranteed for 3 years
    Buy with your Tesco Credit Card and earn 3 points for every 2 euro spent on your Tesco Car Insurance policy!

REGISTER TO WIN

If your car insurance is not due for renewal, you don’t miss out. Register your renewal details for your chance to WIN €1,500 worth of Tesco shopping vouchers!

http://www.tesco.ie/finance/carinsurance/index_quote.html

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I wonder if they'll put in a clause protecting your no-claims bonus if your car is bashed by one of their trolleys in their car park by one of their shoppers ...

:D

That's quite good. The quote engine is on hibernian's website, but it's much better than Hibernian's.

Quoted me at €2k for a 1.2 Opel Corsa (Male, 22, full licence, no NCB). Strangely enough that quote dropped by €250 if I changed "No previous insurer" to my previous insurer.

Best of all, it actually told me "This is your quote, but it will only be accepted if you do the Ignition course."

Brilliant.

seamus wrote:
    Strangely enough that quote dropped by €250 if I changed "No previous insurer" to my previous insurer.
    What's strange about that? :confused:

• Advertisement

What's strange about that? :confused:
    Both times I put down 0 years claim-free driving and 0 years named driver driving.

Why would there be a difference then?

I would have thought one year on any policy would make a positive difference. To them it means that you're (probably) not climbing into the driving seat for the very first time.

Meh!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

koneko wrote:
    Aye, they gave me a link to check for quotes, but won't quote any cars over 1.6L

Eh? They quoted me for my 3500cc car. Quote not too bad, but way more than I currently pay and the terms are much worse than the ones I have now

I prefer if they'd concentrate on having more petrol stations...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭logonapr

Might be an interesting experience standing at their checkout to get a claim sorted out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ROVER

They quoted me €100.00 more than I paid FBD last year.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

As they are underwritten by Hibernian, I wonder if there is any difference between Hib's prices and Tesco's prices. I would check myself but couldn't be arsed!

Advertisement