Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do YOU go for MTB?

Options
  • 08-02-2005 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭

Right, the days are getting longer, the weather is getting better rolleyes.gif, and my MTB is getting older sitting in the corner doing nothing. So it's time to think about going riding again. I normally just potter about Howth Hill for a bit of after work fun. I've been up around Three Rock, Ticknock and down in Glendalough a few times. I've also heard that there are some places in Bray to try, but it takes ages to get out south as I live in Portmarnock.

So where do other folk normally go for a bit of MTB? Are there any good spots up in Carlingford? I'll have a browse around mtbireland to see what they have too

cheers

KR

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭Enduro

Join up with one of the clubs if you want to be shown more trails. Again, all the info is available on mtbireland. I've been MTBing all through winter with EPIC. And there are some great trails up in the Cooley peninsula (Carlingford). The most obvious ommisions from your list of places visited are Djouce/Crone woods and Balinastoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Carlingford is lovely, well I'd imagine it is - I only ever raced there.

Djouce mountains are like my mecca, flowing single track - technical but fast. I genuinely miss the place. Every time I go by on the road bike, i stop at teh gate and look in.

Too far to the southside? you pansy :p I used to cycle in from Leixlip to go out with M.A.D for a five hour spin and then cycle home. NP!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I don't think I could handle a trek like that Uberwolf! I cyclyed from Killiney out to Skerries once and I was in bits.
    Has anyone ever gone over to Wales for a cycling trip? I'm hoping to maybe get the boat over in the summer and check it out for a few days. I've heard that the scene is a lot bigger over there and that they have proper dedicated trails. From what I've heard, we don't have any here, is that true?

KR

I've been to wales twice on MTB holidays, and have done the trails in Coed Y brynan and Byts Y Coed, amongst other things. Yes they have man made trails buit for mountain biking. Plenty of info about them on the web. They are good fun. A lot of Irish MTBers, including me, would be of the opinion that we have better stuff in Wicklow though. We don't have the equivalent of the welsh centres. That doesn't mean there are no trails though.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

King Raam, yesterday I went from Enniskerry up Kilgarron Hill towards Glencree, turned right up by the pet cemetary and into the forest at the first barrier on the right. Followed the fireroad around and up to the left and after a couple of K, turned steeply left and ended up on the Wicklow Way after a savage climb. Did the wicked 5 stage descent down through Curtlestown forest, popped out at the car park, headed left toward Knockree, followed the Wicklow Way over the little hill, down through the forest and along the river bank. Crossed the bridge and climbed up into Crone car park and then a savage climb up the north slopes of Maulin to the top of the tree line. Followed the rocky track around Maulin to the Wicklow Way at Djouce, down into the river valley, savage climb back up, and down the side of Djouce woods into the dry paddock. Spun up to the second car park and Djouce and blazed down the Ectasy trail all the way to the entrance to Powerscourt Waterfall. Sneaked through the estate, popped out at the house and back into Enniskerry. Time 4.5 hours.

There ya go, Wicklow, an MTB paradise :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

sounds like an intense session Johnny. What were the tracks like? Were they all fire roads or did they vary?

KR

He did a lot of singletrack. There is lots out there. You just need to be shown it. Join up with one of the clubs which put on beginners spins.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Indeed, Euduro, mostly singletrack. Joined together with fireroad and paving.

And mud, lots of mud.

Advertisement