Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return of the (Je)dialler

Options
  • 08-02-2005 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,428 ✭✭✭✭

I got this pop-up at work recently. I passed on to RegTel who weren't impressed.

Looks like someone wants to make their money back in the dialler business.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

dont wont work if your on bb will it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

It may if you are connected to broadband and still have your regular 56k modem connected to a phonline.

Simple solution: disconnect your 56k modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

ok, dont have to worry about anything.. only have the BB

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Code signed by Thawte I see. How did the prompt appear I wonder, was it by clicking a link or a bit more stealthy? If it was dodgy, if I was you I'd get onto Thawte and ask them if it's their policy to approve publishers that install their software via nefarious means, and if their policy covers revocation when cases like this are brought to their attention. They'll send a CYA answer but they won't think about it too carefully because you're just a norm, which is why you then send their answer to The Register for line-by-line deconstruction.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 78,428 ✭✭✭✭Victor

dahamsta wrote:
    How did the prompt appear I wonder, was it by clicking a link or a bit more stealthy?
    It's a common user machine with no login. It popped up as I started to use the machine a few minutes after start-up.

I can vouch for me not looking to find (a) anything nefarious* (b) this pop-up. I can't vouch for anyone else.

* not that time anyway

• Advertisement
Advertisement