Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Team Vs. Scotland (Other 2 links down)

• 09-02-2005 12:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Ireland Team To Face Scotland (Saturday):

15. G. Murphy
    14. S. Horgan
    13. B. O'Drisscoll
    12. G. D'Arcy
    11. D. Hickie
    10. R. O'Gara
    9. P. Stringer
    1. R. Corrigan
    2. S. Byrne
    3. J. Hayes
    4. M. O'Kelly
    5. P. O'Connell
    6. S. Easterby
    7. J. O'Connor
    8. A. Foley
    Replacements: Sheahan, Horan, O'Callaghan, Miller, G Easterby, Humphreys, Dempsey.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Not a bad line up I must say, but then again, nerither are Scotland witht he way they played last week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Doubt either of the two centres will play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

According to sky news, both O'Drsicoll ad D'Arcy are passed fit to play on Saturday, after scans yesterday revealed the two groin strains sufferd by the players versus Italy were not as serious as first suspected, so the only change is Johnny O'Connor coming in for Dennis Leamy at openside flanker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭kazzer

They will have to undergo a fitness test first I imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Personnally i would prefer to see them both rested for the scottish game, in preperation for the English game, as i think our backline would still be far to strong for the scotish without them, i imagine at least one of them will be sidelined by Eddie O'Sullivan (Mr.Catious) but then again, is he so catious would he risk both of them to avoid risking defeat? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

DubGuy22 wrote:
    Personnally i would prefer to see them both rested for the scottish game, in preperation for the English game :confused:

Think you are right - dont care what you pull but if its at full tilt it has to hurt.
    They cant be 100% though? Although both of them limped off the plane with no crutches and were moving ok just with a slight limp.Lets hope if they play they dont injury themselves again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

O'Sullivan said that he would give them until the last minutes before kick off to "cry-off"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭gutta

Nukem wrote:
    Although both of them limped off the plane with no crutches and were moving ok just with a slight limp.

You know what? The whole thing was fabricated... It's just gamesmanship.

EOS said to the lads before the match 'OK lads, the both of youze pull up with a fake injury whenever it looks like we're going to win, create this whole furore about the midfield partnership coming adrift and confuse the oppositions down the road'.

(I know, I was in the dressing room, I'm the Gatorade carrier).

Anyways, the pair of them had to concentrate really hard to keep up the limp off the plane, they were both tangoing away after the Italians were sent to bed after the afters without a bother. Pair o' big girls' blouses, not doing their reputations any good with the rest of the fellas on the team but the press is in a tizzy and the Scots have wet their panties at the fabricated opportunity.

Mark my words & watch 'em both run in a brace of tries each come the Scots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

see the gamesmanship theory occured to me. But it's not the case. Not against scotland. Famous last words but we shouldn't need either of teh two to play to win that game, there's no need to psyche out teh Scots and it was too early in a close game to pull D'Arcy off for the craic.

I don't think they'll both line out, and I certainly don't see either playing the full game.

Certainly no need to risk them IMHO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

gutta wrote:

Doubt they will play and if they do it wont be for the 80mins if they are injured.
    Why would D'arcy pretend to pull anything in full flight and while doing a move.And BOD has had a very similar injury to this before so i doubt they are faking it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

gutta wrote:

EOS said to the lads before the match 'OK lads, the both of youze pull up with a fake injury whenever it looks like we're going to win, create this whole furore about the midfield partnership coming adrift and confuse the oppositions down the road'.

Anyways, the pair of them had to concentrate really hard to keep up the limp off the plane, they were both tangoing away after the Italians were sent to bed after the afters without a bother. Pair o' big girls' blouses, not doing their reputations any good with the rest of the fellas on the team but the press is in a tizzy and the Scots have wet their panties at the fabricated opportunity.

Jaysus people, hold yis r noses because theres an awful smell of shít ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Strong lineup and I reckon good enough to beat the Scots with or without the centres. I think Horgan and Payne would be enough to beat them. I don't see them both playing a full 80 min and I woudl hope that EOS wouldn't risk them if they are not 100%. Although they do have a 2 week break till the England game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Our pack is goina be more important than our backs this week. Thankfully O'Concrete has replaced Leamy, and lets hope he'll do the business.

And hopefully Foley and O'Connell will turn up this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭kazzer

So youre the 'Gatorade' carrier are you??? The team use Powerade (or Lucozade sport) I thought! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭Crash

kazzer wrote:
    So youre the 'Gatorade' carrier are you??? The team use Powerade (or Lucozade sport) I thought! :rolleyes:
    /me does an after match O'Driscoll on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭spanner

kazzer wrote:

haha good spot, as mammy said "lairs get no where"

you should be a lawyer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Well BOD is out and a decision on D'Arcy will be made tomorrow.
    So hopefully D'Arcy will make it and join Shaggy in the centre with Dempsey or Payne on the wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭rubberduckey

Bad news confirmed, Darcy is out!

Horgan/Maggs in centre, dempsey on the wing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

Sweet divine!!!

Dempsey on the wing. What are you on, O'Sullivan? For any number of reasons this should not be countenanced. Dempsey is a solid reliable if unexciting full back. What the hell use is a solid reliable unexciting winger??Especially when we have two solid (OK very solid) beefcakes in the centre??

Then there's the political picture. What does Ulster have to do to get representation on this side? Propose Gerry Adams for a Nobel Peace Prize? Why not take a chance on somebody like Bowe? Or Wallace (Paddy, that is)?

Come on, Eddy. Face up to your responsibilities. Or the day will come when the whole country will take delight in an Irish team without a single Corkman on it. I don't think that's ever happened before. Every Irish team that ever ran out on a pitch had at least one Corkman on it. Usually from Cork Con.

Some of them were even worthy of their places.

Thank God it's only Scotland.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

There are certainly better wingers available than the Swerve. But just because they have certain numbers on their back does not mean they will play in those positions (albeit such "games" rarely happen in rugby, as they would, for instance, in gaelic games).

Thornley mentioned in the Irish Times earlies this week (Monday AFAIR) that one possibility would be to play like this:

11 Hickie
    12 Maggs
    13 Murphy
    14 Horgan
    15 Dempsey

IMO that would be the most effective way of placing those 5 players.

I hate the thought of Horgan at outside centre. Sure, he's well capable of doing great, but IMO he's the worst decision maker in world rugby!! So often picks the wrong option, which can have terrible consequences. Leave him on the wing where all he has to concentrate on is running and tackling -which he will do as well and anybody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

eirebhoy wrote:
    Doubt either of the two centres will play.
    I only found out recently that Darcy and O'Driscoll were centres. :D Haven't a clue about the game tbh.

There are certainly better wingers available than the Swerve. But just because they have certain numbers on their back does not mean they will play in those positions (albeit such "games" rarely happen in rugby, as they would, for instance, in gaelic games).

Thornley mentioned in the Irish Times earlies this week (Monday AFAIR) that one possibility would be to play like this:

11 Hickie
    12 Maggs
    13 Murphy
    14 Horgan
    15 Dempsey

IMO that would be the most effective way of placing those 5 players.

I hate the thought of Horgan at outside centre. Sure, he's well capable of doing great, but IMO he's the worst decision maker in world rugby!! So often picks the wrong option, which can have terrible consequences. Leave him on the wing where all he has to concentrate on is running and tackling -which he will do as well and anybody.

That's a bit harsh, and he's playing out of his skin recently for Leinster!
    I like him, a big fella with a bit of pace, but he's very route one, the reason his partnership with O'Driscoll worked well was that he'd punch a hole, and O'Driscoll would exploit the gaps, i'm not sure he will function well in the role of Outside Centre at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Gavin Duffy getting into the squad is no bad thing tho..

Have seen him a few times for Quinn's over here and he looks very impressive, speed, angles of running etc etc.

I can only think he will be a key man come the next world cup; so time with the boys in the squads and a few caps wont do any harm..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭rubberduckey

Hi daveirl, I'm always quite impressed with your rugby knowledge. Have been talking about Gavin Duffy recently, in my humble opinion I'd like to see him go to Munster next season just cause our backline is a bit stale and he fits the age profile. Would also like to see if the Brian Carney deal can possibly happen. If you were to re-invigorate the munster backline with Ireland qualified players who would you be looking to sign. Are there any 'sleepers' out there that you know of? i.e. Boss the NZ scrumhalf going to Ulster and qualifying for Ireland.

Thoughts appreciated.

Advertisement