Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking News

Options
  • 09-02-2005 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭

Expect Blair to make apologies in the Commons on Wednesday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

why? did he forget someone's birthday?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Victor you better flesh this out if you don't want it in the bin !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Ah now Victor, you know the rules. 24 hours to knock out an opinion and something about what it's about or a-locking we will go.

I can't tell whether it's more likely to be this, this or this. Or summat else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

this?

- if so hopefully other public apologies come from it ...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

sceptre wrote:
    24 hours to knock out an opinion
    Fair cop, let it play.

BBC aint working for me, GCHQ must have blocked it. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭shltter

to the guildford four

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

People died in that bomb blast. Have they ever actually caught who did it?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

this?

- if so hopefully other public apologies come from it ...

Apologise for what? Wrongfully imprisoning them or making them pay for the stay in jail?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

solice wrote:

The Balcombe Street gang admitted to it while they were in jail. But the authorities didn't believe them.

Because they already had the Guildford Four.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Blair apologies to Conlon, Maguire families
    09/02/2005 - 12:52:30

British Prime Minister Tony Blair today publicly apologised to the Conlon and Maguire families for their wrongful imprisonment for the IRA bomb attacks in Guildford and Woolwich in 1974.

Mr Blair said: "I am very sorry that they were subject to such an ordeal and injustice."

The Prime Minister, in a television statement, added: "That is why I am making this apology today - they deserve to be completely and publicly exonerated."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

solice wrote:
    The Balcombe Street gang admitted to it while they were in jail. But the authorities didn't believe them.

On the other hand, nobody has ever been caught or publicly admitted to carrying out the Birmingham bombing.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Hobbes wrote:
    Apologise for what? Wrongfully imprisoning them or making them pay for the stay in jail?
    From my source, it was the mistreatment and lack of vindication that the families received, especially from the Home Office.

To quote Blair (and I'm sure it's an orchestrated speech) "they deserve to be completely and publicly exonerated."

And my opinion. It's about time. Back in 1989, all too many people were willing to say "the British were wrong, ergo the Provos are right". Of course it has been the SDLP that has championed the cause of the families and the Provos just treated them as collateral damage to be exploited for brownie points.

... of course it's all just a cynical ploy to help Labout get elected in May .... mutter ... mutter ...mutter ...

Advertisement