Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anyone know of any driving schools that use VW Golfs?

Options
  • 09-02-2005 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭

Might need to rent one for my driving test in 10 days coz the windows on my car are tinted. I'm taking my car to the test centre in Rathgar pretty soon and getting the supervisor (I've got his name) to have a look as I think it's grossly unfair if I can't sit my test in my own car when it's completely road-legal in everyway. If the worst comes to worst I'd at least like to rent a Golf instead of the crappy plastic Yaris I used last year. Like most people I just feel way more relaxed in my own car especially when I'm doing a driving test! I've definitely seen a few learner car Golfs around so if anyone can point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated... :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You can't rent a car without a license, sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

I mean to rent one from a driving school specifically to do my test!!! I rented a Yaris last year from the Churchtown school of motoring...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

So long as the tint's on all your windows are fully road legal then you should be fine. Is there any particular reason you were given that they would not be OK?

Also bear in mind that if you find a driving school/instructor with a Golf, they may be reluctant to let you sit the test in it unless you have done some lessons with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭zapata

in my own car when it's completely road-legal in everyway

What's the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Cosworth

ISM have a convertable MK4 golf as a learner car.

Gary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

So long as the tint's on all your windows are fully road legal then you should be fine. Is there any particular reason you were given that they would not be OK?

Also bear in mind that if you find a driving school/instructor with a Golf, they may be reluctant to let you sit the test in it unless you have done some lessons with them.

Well my instructor last year told me that is was up to the tester themselves and completely at their discretion (which I think is ridiculous). That's why I'm gonna go down to the test centre myself some afternoon next week before my test to make sure as I don't want to take any chances. The windows are tinted quite dark but they're not blacked out or even close so I cannot see what the problem could be - in fact if I'm told that I can't sit my test in my prerfectly road-legal car then I might take a case against them as I can't see how this is in any way legit, fair or consistent. Either tinted windows are illegal and as such can't be on a car full stop let alone while doing a driiving test or they are legal (as they are) and cars with tints can be used without dispute in a test.

Grrrrr this stupid country.... :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Cosworth wrote:
    ISM have a convertable MK4 golf as a learner car.

Gary
    But isn't that a car that belongs to the instructor and not ISM? And as it belongs to the instructor they probably won't let you rent it from them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Giles wrote:
    Well my instructor last year told me that is was up to the tester themselves and completely at their discretion (which I think is ridiculous). That's why I'm gonna go down to the test centre myself some afternoon next week before my test to make sure as I don't want to take any chances. The windows are tinted quite dark but they're not blacked out or even close so I cannot see what the problem could be - in fact if I'm told that I can't sit my test in my prerfectly road-legal car then I might take a case against them as I can't see how this is in any way legit, fair or consistent. Either tinted windows are illegal and as such can't be on a car full stop let alone while doing a driiving test or they are legal (as they are) and cars with tints can be used without dispute in a test.

Grrrrr this stupid country.... :mad:
    To be honest...

...I think you've more chance of being passed in someone else's Yaris than in your own car with tinted windows.

I've nothing against tinted windows myself - but I don't work for the Dept. of the Environment.

It may be legally murky to disallow you but you should focus on getting your test. The testers perception of you is a factor you shouldn't ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

The testers perception of you is a factor you shouldn't ignore.

sad innit :(

Advertisement