Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

locking my win xp pro machine when away

• 09-02-2005 12:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

hi
    my work pc automatically locks itself after a timeout. To be precise, I am still logged in and alll my programs remain running, but the screen goes empty except for a dialog box, and I have enter my xp password again to re-access my pc.

I want to do the same thing on my home pc in case I want to leave it running while I am away. For example, if a burglar broke in, I wouldn't want him to have access to my email or programs. I don't want to set up a guest account because I don't want to have to reinstall various software.

How can I do this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

doh! it's as easy as enabling the screensaver :)

now how can I kick off the screensaver without waiting for it to timeout?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

or you could just hit windows key + L whenever you go away from the computer

yeah cheers, just found that out myself as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

silverside wrote:
    I want to do the same thing on my home pc in case I want to leave it running while I am away. For example, if a burglar broke in, I wouldn't want him to have access to my email or programs.

its very easy to remove the admin password on a win2k or xp machine, if you want mail to be secure get a gmail account
    silverside wrote:
    I don't want to set up a guest account because I don't want to have to reinstall various software.

you don't have to reinstall programs for them to work on a different account

• Advertisement

yeah not really worried about a burglar so much as casual people walking through the house. There is nothing really that critical in my email.

is it really that easy to remove the admin password?

As I understand it programs are either installed for 'everybody' or under a specific user account. Is it easy to give program-by-program access to e.g. the guest user if I have installed something under my own account? Does it involve setting up user profiles?

I'm not really that bothered TBH, just interested. I guess this sort of thing is what you learn on a Windows sys admin course - or did you just pick it up as you go along?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

ive had to do it for a couple of people. they were away for a while and forgot their passwords, yousee. takes all of 10 minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Somebody with sufficient skill will always be able to break into any computer, expecially when you have physical access. If I was a burglar I would just rip out the hard disk. Quickly enough removed from the computer, small enough to pocket it. Then you just hook it up to another computer as a slave drive and enjoy full file access unless it`s decrypted. But even that is easily bypassed.
    silverside wrote:
    hi
    my work pc automatically locks itself after a timeout. To be precise, I am still logged in and alll my programs remain running, but the screen goes empty except for a dialog box, and I have enter my xp password again to re-access my pc.

I want to do the same thing on my home pc in case I want to leave it running while I am away. For example, if a burglar broke in, I wouldn't want him to have access to my email or programs. I don't want to set up a guest account because I don't want to have to reinstall various software.

How can I do this?

Thanks.

yeah i guess you are right. To guard against casual nosing around i guess the windows+L trick will do me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭ranDom_tAsk

qwertz wrote:
    Somebody with sufficient skill will always be able to break into any computer, expecially when you have physical access. If I was a burglar I would just rip out the hard disk. Quickly enough removed from the computer, small enough to pocket it. Then you just hook it up to another computer as a slave drive and enjoy full file access unless it`s decrypted. But even that is easily bypassed.
    i have C4 all over my pc tower, so that's not posible with my pc

• Advertisement
Advertisement