Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a tip from somebody who understands

Options
  • 09-02-2005 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Last Saturday I bought a second hand city bike. I didn't want anythins special, just a not good looking - not expensive bicycle to go from A to B in town and park it on the street without much worries.

But yesterday, a friend saw the bike and told me it was a very good bike and that it wouldn't be safe to park it outside.

The bicycle is a Raleigh made in the year 1969, with everying original and in working conditions: lights with dynamo, sturmey archer gears, etc.

Can anybody please advise if such a bike can be sold for good money. I paid what any second hand - old bike costs.

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭Enduro

Sounds like an antique! :) I've no idea if there is a market for old classic bikes, but I doubt it!

I doubt any bike thief is going to see any value in it. And since it didn't cost you too much I wouldn't really worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

you'd be looking for an enthusiast I'd say. Not sure there's a market in this country - but britain might be a diff story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭gzoladz

True in both cases. People who do steal bikes would me more interesting in MTB with double suspension or Chopper style. They won't even look at my bike and I don't think that people who do understand will steal it.
    I plan to keep it and enjoy it unless some crazy guy wants to pay 4-5 times what I paid for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭janullrich

Try eBay. There are always crazy nutters on that site who will pay way more then its worth. Trust me I have seen it happen!

I thought of ebay. But I don't think Ireland has its own ebay.
    Is it worth to try on ebay UK?.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭janullrich

no harm in trying as long as you mention that your location is Ireland. It may be best however trying eBay.com which is the American site. It won't cost you much anyhows but it is a pain in the neck to set up the auction itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I recommend asking on bikeforums.net, particularly the Classic&Vintage board (linked).

Al.

Uups, just found this thread from almost two years and I bought a lovely Raleigh 63 with Sturmey Archer gears with gripshift, all working :)
    This was in Mc Cormacks, on Dorset St.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If it uses Rods for brakes instead of cables then good quality parts will be hard to come by, so like vetern cars they aren't recommended for every day use and so would appeal to a collector more than a user.

Advertisement