Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change to Firearms Background Note on DoJ site re Importing firearms

Options
  • 09-02-2005 2:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭

From an NRPAI email:
    Hi Folks
    Information that has appeared on the Department of Justice Web site, link below attached: This apparently contradicts communications received from DOJ on the matter of licensed firearms, it is interesting to note the following "Importation licences are granted subject to the condition that the applicant makes the application to the local Garda Siochana (Police) for a firearm certificate"

Is this the latest advice received from the AG's office, I wonder.

Well for your information, feel free to browse the web site, it makes no mention of Category B firearms!

The relevant DoJ page is here , and the specific part is this:
    Persons taking up residences in Ireland or persons resident in Ireland seeking to import a firearm

If a person importing a firearm intends to reside in Ireland permanently or for an extended period (six months or more) an importation licence issued by the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform is required. Importation licences are granted subject to the condition that the applicant makes the application to the local Garda Síochána (Police) for a firearm certificate. Ammunition may not be imported with the firearms. There is no fee for an importation licence.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Ammunition may not be imported with the firearms

Eh...? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Has this document changred at all? I'm fairly sure that it said that all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

civdef wrote:
    Has this document changred at all? I'm fairly sure that it said that all along.
    Myself as well Civ, but that's what the email said.

Advertisement