Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wtf is all this "SymOnLoad()" stuff about?

Options
  • 09-02-2005 3:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭

This is probably a stupid question, but why is this javascript appended to the end of a page and wtf, if anything, does it do?
    I guess the web server is sticking it onto the end, but for the love of God why?
    Also, will this even function seeing as it's appended after the closing html tag?
    It's just one of those little things you keep seeing and wondering until you go mad.

Any ideas?
    <script language="JavaScript">
    <!--
    var SymRealOnLoad;
    var SymRealOnUnload;

function SymOnUnload()
    {
      window.open = SymWinOpen;
      if(SymRealOnUnload != null)
         SymRealOnUnload();
    }

function SymOnLoad()
    {
      if(SymRealOnLoad != null)
         SymRealOnLoad();
      window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
      SymRealOnUnload = window.onunload;
      window.onunload = SymOnUnload;
    }

SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;
    window.onload = SymOnLoad;

//-->
    </script>

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Also, the funny thing is, I've tried googling for answers, but it just pulls up irrelevant pages where the spider bot has picked it up in the code of these random sites. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Is that all the Javascript? It seems to be missing some functions. Anything in your <head> ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Aha... ok I've sussed it now.
    As I checked more random sites, it appears to be on every single page I open... so I starting thinking - "hmm attempted browser hijack?" but it was in both IE and Mozilla... I've nailed the culprit to Norton Internet Security... disable it, and mysterious javascript is gone... I guess the "Sym" is for Symantec (doh!)
    It's probably a pop-up blocker or something like that.
    Ah well, at least now I know. :)
    Anything in your <head> ?
    I wonder sometimes, I really do ;)

Advertisement