Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What movie do you watch over and over again?

• 09-02-2005 8:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

I love watching Dumb and Dumber and all the Lord of the Rings films. Must have watched Dumb and Dumber at least 20 times!

Just wondering what movies other people here watch over and over and never get sick of?

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Aliens for me. Sort of movie where I could almost quote every line of dialog bar those extra few mins in the SE, which I was less familiar with.

[Some techy talk]
    "Bio-readouts are green. Look's like she's alive."
    [Muttering of ahhh] "Well there goes our salvage guys."
    "Can we dream?"
    "All you want" [sound of egg opening shortly afterwards]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I've watched Dr. Strangelove an awful lot of times. Could still watch it right now and enjoy it fully. ****ing great film. I wish I was watching it right now.

I also tend to alternate between the Holy Grail and Life of Brian; I'd watch one to death over the course of a year or so, then switch to the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Goodshape wrote:
    I've watched Dr. Strangelove an awful lot of times. Could still watch it right now and enjoy it fully. ****ing great film. I wish I was watching it right now.

I also tend to alternate between the Holy Grail and Life of Brian; I'd watch one to death over the course of a year or so, then switch to the other.

Never heard of Dr. Strangelove - the Holy Grail is hilarious though.... 'come back and finish me you wimp!' :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭A.S.H.

My Personal Favourite to Watch and Rewatch is Army of Darkness "This is my BOOMStick"

I also like the Majestic, and Oceans eleven is a great one just to throw on and use as background

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Godfather Part 1.
    In my opinion, the mother of all films. I also think it's superior to the excellent sequel.
    I just love watching the change in Michael Corleone, and how he slowly develops into something Evil.. surpassing his father's expectations beyond belief.. A truely fantastic film.

K.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

ixoy wrote:
    Aliens for me. Sort of movie where I could almost quote every line of dialog bar those extra few mins in the SE, which I was less familiar with.

My absolute favourite bit of Aliens is where she's giving out to the board, saying "And all this bullshit that you think is so important..". Because right at that moment, she grabs some guy's papers from his desk, and from the edge of the screen you see him feebly trying to grab them back off her.

I like it because it looks like he's drawn a picture of her with stink lines coming off her and is trying to make sure she doesn't see it.

It's completely ruined that movie for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Not really a big fan of rewatching stuff (kinda like killing the goose that lays the golden egg IMHO) but currently my most prolific would be ... The Breakfast Club (which I've seen 10 times in the past couple of years).

That said tho I reckon I've seen Star Wars 4-6 at least 50 times each since I was a kid (tho there's probably fanboys who'd watch it that many times in a month :)).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

Ferris Bueller a couple of hundred times. Maybe 12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Hi Fidelity, no matter how many times I watch it I love it. Pisses me off each time they refer to Falco as being German, for me it lets the whole film down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭CountryWise

Any of the lord of the rings,Die hard and super troopers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭landser

blade runner, the third man and moulin rouge (especially if i'm drunk).

dr. strangelove would also get a fair no. of spins on the dvd player

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

lord of the rings x 3
    monthy python x 3
    big lebowski
    pulp fiction was also watched many times
    as was Withnail and I

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

FX Meister wrote:
    Hi Fidelity, no matter how many times I watch it I love it. Pisses me off each time they refer to Falco as being German, for me it lets the whole film down.

Not as annoying as them referring to Evil Dead 3 as Evil Dead 2. Some comment about making bullets in the 15th century... that was Army of Darkness not Evil Dead 2! Glaring error there. The whole discussion is about how great Evil Dead 2 is, but then they make an obvious mistake like that. Ruins what would have otherwise been a really great scene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

Alien (*NOT* the very good but inferior sequel, Aliens) - pure class.
    We need an Alien forum!

Also Blade Runner of course (another Ridley Scott movie).

True Romance is well worth repeated viewing. Also i defy anyone to watch Withnail & I ("we demand the finest wines available to humanity") only once.

I like the old ones too - The Big Sleep is one I've seen many, many times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭DBK

Fight Club....love that....Also Bedazzled- Peter Cook and Dudley Moore, not the crap remake...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

koneko wrote:
    Not as annoying as them referring to Evil Dead 3 as Evil Dead 2. Some comment about making bullets in the 15th century... that was Army of Darkness not Evil Dead 2! Glaring error there. The whole discussion is about how great Evil Dead 2 is, but then they make an obvious mistake like that. Ruins what would have otherwise been a really great scene.

Yeah I should have mentioned that one too. It's annoying as they get most of the other small details spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

DBK wrote:
    Fight Club....love that....Also Bedazzled- Peter Cook and Dudley Moore, not the crap remake...

Fight Club is good alright - not something Id watch over and over again though.

Didnt realise there was an original Bedazzled, seen the the remake with Catherin Zeta Jones (I think) and it was rubbish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 MariaRyan

Not that I'm too proud of it but I've seen Sound of Music well over 300 times since i was 12 -

At the moment - I love watching As Good as it Gets - cos it's so brilliant - there;s something different there every time i watch

And there's always a little Irish gem in the VCR -something like the Snapper, the Commitments or The war of the Buttons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

The Sting for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Withnail and I, Trainspotting, Rear Window ( Original )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭samo

have happily watched Back to the future 1 +2 loads of times but the film I could endlessly watch has to be Some like it Hot.

Absolute classic and have lost count of how many times I've seen it but for me thats the perfect film!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭F Fiesta

Yeah The Sting is a classic, watch Michael Collins a lot actually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Llorrac

Die hard is one I've seen more than any other, such a good film

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Back Door Sluts Vol. 9

I watch it whenever I'm feeling lonely....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Back Door Sluts Vol. 9

I watch it whenever I'm feeling lonely....

IMO Vol. 6 was the best in the series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭car

Shrek, Toystory and of course The Matrix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭okee

Raisin' Arizona

watched it so many times it's scary.
    Every line is classic

"Do these baloons blow up into funny shapes at all ?"
    "No, Not unless round is funny"

okee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Haruspex

Twelve Monkeys

Perhaps Terry Gilliam's finest hour?
    It's a film that's always haunted me since I saw it nearly ten years ago. I never tire of rewatching it, especially the poignant ending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

i have a few hundred videos and dvds, all of which are watched regularly!!:D i couldn't survive without my collection!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Never heard of Dr. Strangelove -

For shame. Clicky. It's an early Stanley Kubrick film. Maybe not his absolute best, but it's somewhat light-hearted which makes it more re-watchable than the others.

Some good shows mentioned above... Army of Darkness would be another one I used to watch loads, although I just know it too well at this stage.

12 Monkeys is great, but I think Fear and Loathing in Los Vegas gets my vote for Gilliam's finest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭samo

car wrote:
    Shrek, Toystory and of course The Matrix

forgot about Toy story, fantastic film

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

I watch Donnie Darko a lot and I can't stop watching Cabin Fever:

Karen: Bert, what the hell is that?
    Bert: Huh? Oh, I'm gonna go shoot some squirrels.
    Paul: Why would you wanna kill squirrels?
    Bert: 'cause they're gay.
    Karen: Bert, don't be a ****ing retard.
    Bert: I'm kidding. I don't care if they're gay or straight, I'll kill 'em either way.

^^^ Classic. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Friday and Dazed and Confused.

I'm not a weed head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭goin'_to_the_PS

scarface/predator

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

I've watched Aliens more than 10 times,Back To The Future more than 15 times but the film I've watched over and over again is Crouching Tiger,Hidden Dragon which I have seen over 20times including four times at the cinema.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

Most Cohen brothers films but The Big Lebowski in particular. It's the greatest film ever made™

Watched Fear and Loathing more than might be considered healthy too. You can count Bad Santa while you're at it.

They're the main ones but there are a load more that I'd watch on a semi-regular basis

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Originally posted by samo

the film I could endlessly watch has to be Some like it Hot.

I wholeheartedly agree. It is my all time favourite film and without doubt the greatest comedy ever made. I've lost count of the number of times I've seen it.

The other films I've seen countless times are The Great Escape, The Blues Brothers and Airplane, all classics of their particular genre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭pauldeehan

Dog Soldiers. Me and the mate even have a drinking game for it.

Also, Army of Darkness and Cabin Fever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

withnail and I
    die hard
    Ferris beullers day off
    Blade runner
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

I watch Cool Hand Luke a fair few times. "Well....what we got here..is...failure to communicate"

Dog Day Afternoon seems to be put on every time i go to my dads house. I love watching true romance,as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

My Sassy Girl - It's going to be a classic in my eyes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

Haruspex wrote:
    Twelve Monkeys

Perhaps Terry Gilliam's finest hour?
    It's a film that's always haunted me since I saw it nearly ten years ago. I never tire of rewatching it, especially the poignant ending.

WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG, YOU'RE WRONG, WRONG WRONG (thank you Dr Cox)

See, Brazil (the poigant ending freaked me out so badly I couldn't watch it again for ten years) and the Fisher King.

I go through phases

I had to watch Shaun of the Dead so often I found it to be beyond brilliant low budget film making.

Have watched, Roscencratz and Guildenstern are dead over and over again. Guilty I watched the start of four wedding and funeral over and over trying to figure out what made it so hookable as a film (cause it is) the four hundred blows, the remake of the thomas crown affair (superbly laid out opening and closing sequences so imaginative and just done so excellent.

Truthfully I go through phases, currently I'm watching and re watching two films over and over again slapshot and the original assault on p 13. The first as research the second just to study after watching the remake, it's so cheaply made, it so simple but so compelling. I can get very obesessive about the technique and style of film and film makers, and watch someones films over and over again to try and break them down.

Once in film school a lecturer made us watch the murder of matilda's family in Leon seventeen times in a row, to study it, break it down. And i've found myelf finding the films that infulenced film makers I admire. If anyone has read any of the Projections series, Projections 6 has an excellent preproduction diary from Eric Andrews Edwards DOP of Kids, where he and the director list the films they watched and why as infulences, because it's not a short glib magazine article, he can get into everything from stylist choice to his choice of key grip, and it's just bloody fantastic.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I love Some Like It Hot! I watch it again and again.

My other favourites are:
    Shaun of the Dead
    Nightmare Before Christmas (I also rewatch those 2 shorts on the DVD compulsively!)
    Legally Blond (such a great turn off your brain film)
    Withnail and I
    Blues Brothers

I've watched all of these soo many times and I love them all :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Morrigan

okee wrote:
    Raisin' Arizona

watched it so many times it's scary.
    Every line is classic

"Do these baloons blow up into funny shapes at all ?"
    "No, Not unless round is funny"

okee
    Hehe.I love that line. Hilarious. Raizing Arizona is a great film. Why didn't Nicholas Cage stick to this kinda stuff instead of wandering off to do horrible cheesey action flicks? The man lost his way.

A film that i watch over and over again is 'The River' by Jean Renoir. Just flicked onto it one afternoon years ago or something when it was starting and liked the opening credits so much i decided to record it.It's a real atmospheric film. Uses brutal sterotypes, but feck it.
    I could watch the Blues Brothers again and again. I will have to get me the DVD some day. Today might be that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

The Princess Bride.

The Mystery Science Theatre 3000 movie they made.

Used to watch the 80's version of the Pit and the Pendulam over and over when i was a teenager,on reflection mainly because Ministry sampled it. Watched it last year with the boyfriend after telling him for years how good it was and realised it's not so good. Still has excellent camp values though.

Repo Man.

The Big Lebowski.

Does anyone remember the post-apocalyptic movie with Christopher Lambert about 'the Game'? Played with a dog's skull?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Morrigan

Jr.Shabadu wrote:
    The Mystery Science Theatre 3000 movie they made.

'MST3K:the Movie' tag line:
    Every year Hollywood makes hundreds of movies. This is one of them.

Genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

Carlito's Way and Reservoir Dogs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

Jr.Shabadu wrote:

snip, snip:

The Princess Bride.

Inconceivable! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

The Blues Brothers :cool:

Yellow Submarine's great when your stoned as well...

Monty Python films can be watched over and over again - just class, pure class.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off (obviously)

and finally....

Pulp Fiction, the conrnerstone of every nutritious movie marathon... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

lotr all the way!
    hey the guinness book of records says that the person who watched the same film the most times was a welsh lady who seen tsom 300 times!(seriously) mabye you should give them a call ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement