Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vinnie Paul to play with Anthrax?

Options
  • 09-02-2005 10:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭

On Bravewords : Exactly two months have passed since heavy metal guitar hero Dimebag Darrell was shot and killed during a DAMAGEPLAN concert in Columbus, Ohio. Aside from a brief statement two days after the shooting, his brother and bandmate Vinnie Paul has remained silent. But friends say he is dealing well with his loss and there are signs that he's starting to put his own life back together.

Paul may even return to the stage to play with ANTHRAX at a February 23 benefit in Chicago at the Aragon Ballroom. Anthrax guitarist Scott Ian says he and Paul recently talked about the possibility, and that the drummer has an open invitation to join the band. It would be the first time Paul will have performed live since Dime was murdered.

"We're just hoping it happens," Ian said. "There would be nothing better than getting Vinnie up on the drum kit and jamming with us. That would just be incredible."

Following the tragedy, some wondered whether Paul would ever be able to perform in concert again. He and Dimebag were extremely close and had played together since before they formed Pantera in 1982. It would be easy to understand how Dime's murder might send Paul into early retirement, but Ian said that's not likely to happen. "I don't think that would be possible with him. It's in his blood. The last thing in the world he would do, or that Dime would ever want, would be for him to not drum anymore. That would be insane."

In addition to preparing for his eventual return to the stage, Paul has begun to lay the groundwork for other aspects of his career. On January 21, he showed up at the National Association of Music Merchants show in Anaheim, California, to help launch a signature snare issued by Pearl drums.

Also, he and surviving Damageplan bandmates — singer Patrick Lachman and bassist Bobzilla — signed Dimebag posters at the Dean guitars booth along with Ian, Black Label Society frontman Zakk Wylde and others.

"His spirits were great," Ian said. "He's doing as well as could be expected in the situation, and he looked a lot better than I thought he would. The fact that he even came out to the NAMM show said a lot. He wanted to be there and talk to people and meet people."

While at the convention, Paul also attended a private party for Guitar World magazine's 25th anniversary, which was headlined by Black Label Society. "He seemed like he was doing a little bit better," confirmed Wylde, who had become friends with Dime and Paul over the past two years. "But how do you judge when it comes to handling something like that? Vinnie has always been a quiet guy, so he's kind of hard to read."

While Paul struggles to cope with his loss, ex-Pantera singer Phil Anselmo is making an effort to mend his relationship with the drummer, and is calling his former feud with Dimebag "coerced nonsense made to sell magazines". In a post on his Web site, Anselmo wrote, "I want to be there for Vinnie Paul no matter how long it takes. I want to be there for [Dime's longtime girlfriend] Rita, if she'll have me."

Anselmo added that, despite the bad blood since Pantera broke up, he was sure the group would one day get back together and is devastated that he'll never again perform with Dime. "If we, just the four of us, were to sit in a room together, we'd have been laughing, crying and laughing again," he wrote. "The weight of the world would be lifted off of our shoulders as we hugged each other. Play together again? I have a suspicion that our fans would demand some type of reunion. My God, I thought of that so many times, and because what our fans wanted, they usually got.

"It may have taken a little longer, but think about how long it took the original Black Sabbath to play together again."

So far, Paul, his bandmates and family members have rejected Anselmo's gestures of friendship and even asked him not to attend a memorial service for Dimebag. In light of past malicious comments about Dime, some consider Anselmo's recent attempts at reconciliation hollow or meaningless. But Ian doesn't question the singer's sincerity. "I just hope that whatever they have between them, if there's something that could be worked out, then hopefully that could happen," he said. "If any good could come out of this horrible situation, it would be great."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

it wud be pretty to cool to see him get back on his feet after all this, and playing with anthrax would be cool to see, as for phil, i do hope they make things up he sincerely seems to want to.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

It would be great to see Vinnie getting back into drumming once again. After all, I don't think that Dimebag, if he was alive would like to see him give up on drumming.

As for Phil, Vinnie and Rex. I hope they all sort out their problems together. Its horrible to see a band that gave people so much and brought so many people together with their music, not even on speaking terms. They were a great band and from what I could see from the video, great friends too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I dunno which would be worse, Vinnie giving up drumming, or trying to continue Damageplan or Pantera with a new guitarist... Okay the latter would never happen, but still.

At least if he started playing with Anthrax, he would be jamming with friends of his and Dimebag's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

It'd be nice if he played on the new Anthrax album, at least for a little bit, like Darrell would have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

it would be pretty cool, i did half expect him to retire.good for him, and as for phil i think they should forgive and forget which would be very hard i understand. what about charlie if he plays with them, just a night off?

• Advertisement

also is rex playing with crowbar?they are supporting hatebreed over here.

dimerocks wrote:
    what about charlie if he plays with them, just a night off?

Charlie will play guitar, he writes most of the music anyway, a very handy guitarist.

well what about rob caggiano? he is handy the solo on random acts.... is oneof my favorites

Rob only played on We've Come For You All and The Greater Of Two Evils. That solo is actually Darrell, he played some solos on the last three Anthrax albums.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I see no problem with this Anthrax would be a great outlet for him to get back into the music.

• Advertisement

no i know he only played on the i was saying that charlies solo on random acts is one of my favorites. dime does not play that one i am sure. didnt do much on w.c.f.y.a either

Actually, Paul Crook did that solo, though it sounds like he's doing his best Darrell impersonation ;) Darrell did the solos on Kingsize and Riding Shotgun.

He soloed on two songs for the last three albums, Strap It On and Cadillac Rock Box on the new one and on Volume 8 - Born Again Idiot and Inside Out.

and there i was thinking i knew my anthrax!!holy **** man fair nuff. love that solo, paul crook play with anyone. no dime solo is better than floods.

Paul Crook played on some of Joey Belladonna's albums too, now he's playing in... I hope you're sitting down for this... the We Will Rock You opera, the Queen thing :eek:

oh jesus yes!i went onto his website last night get this.... he is playing with meat loaf too. i cant wait i was gonna go see him in kilarney summer fest for the jazz of it anyway!

Advertisement