Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Objecting to a planning application

Options
  • 09-02-2005 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭

Somebody four doors down from us, in an estate consisting only of identical semi-detached and detached bungalows, has applied for planning permission to demolish their half of a semi-detached bungalow and build a two storey dwelling complete with basement in its place. Naturally the people next door to him aren't too happy about this, but most of the people, including ourselves aren't overly enamoured of the idea either.

I can't actually believe that any sane local planning authority would give them permission for this anyway, but then this is Ireland, the land of the brown envelopes, so who knows?

So, what concrete objections can we put forward in any objection, apart from the obvious "It would look just plain silly" ? And are these objections anonymous, i.e. can the person applying for permission know the identity of the people making the objections?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Alun wrote:
    Somebody four doors down from us, in an estate consisting only of identical semi-detached and detached bungalows, has applied for planning permission to demolish their half of a semi-detached bungalow and build a two storey dwelling complete with basement in its place. Naturally the people next door to him aren't too happy about this, but most of the people, including ourselves aren't overly enamoured of the idea either.

I can't actually believe that any sane local planning authority would give them permission for this anyway, but then this is Ireland, the land of the brown envelopes, so who knows?

So, what concrete objections can we put forward in any objection, apart from the obvious "It would look just plain silly" ? And are these objections anonymous, i.e. can the person applying for permission know the identity of the people making the objections?

not only will the person know who u are, but u will also have to pay a fee to lodge an objection. the main areas of a possible complaint are
    1. out of character with surrounding developments.
    2. access issues and parking availibility-will new residents use the old few spaces that are there?
    3. density higher than original development.
    4. services availability eg green spaces etc.
    5. front of new houses not parallel to access road

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

If the original idea for the estate was only to have bungalows, then you can object in that sense. I'm not sure they will be able to get pp for a 2 storey if it is originally a bungalow.
    What are their reasons for the extension? Do they plan to rent it out?
    If so, there is normally a stipulation in pp being granted on extensions that they cannot be used to rent out withing the first 5 years.

As for them knowing your identity, yes they will. You have to submit it in writing with your name and address....That wouldn't bother me if they knew about it. If 4-5 of the residents are objecting, then they'll get the hint.
    You should be able to view their plans in teh local town hall or c.council to see exactly what is being done.

We objected to PP on 2 houses on our street 2 yrs back along with all the neighbours either side and opposite the road. Basically, the developer had to buy back two adjoining 3-bed semis due to subsidence. When they were vacated he started to rent them out...but then he got greedy and decided to extend to the side of each house and totally changing the internal layout so he could have 5 separate apt style rooms, each self contained with wash facilities and the communal kitchen/diner. Needless, to say, we all objected on the grounds that these houses had insuffiecient parking space to accomodate at least 10 individual residents to just 2 houses and that the estate was originally sold as private dwellings. ALso, the PP was submitted in the names of the previous owners which was illegal. We also mentioned that there was evidence of subsidence and an extension could possibly increase this. Needless, to say, the pp was passed but we all joined together and objected to An Bord Planala which also was a waste of time. Chances are, this guy has friends in high places which helped his cause....lucky enough for us, he has been too busy with other projects that building has not yet started.

lomb wrote:
    not only will the person know who u are, but u will also have to pay a fee to lodge an objection. the main areas of a possible complaint are
    It only costs about €30 to lodge an objection to local council.

It's €150 to An Bord Planala.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭sandyg

Its €20 to lodge an objection. Objections must be lodged within 6 weeks of the notic being placed in paper. (I had to lodge an objection myself)!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Lex Luthor wrote:
    It only costs about €30 to lodge an objection to local council.

It's €150 to An Bord Planala.
    AFAIK only those who lodged an objection with the council can object to An Bord Planala. In my area a construction company wanted to up change the planning permission for an apartment complex from 6 storey to 8 storey.
    Affected residents lodged loads of separate complaints so they'd each have a chance to object to An Bord Planala.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

You can also object on the basis of a right to light, if the new building will overshadow existing ones. You dont have a right to a view, but you do have a right to light.

Also Lex, with regard to your developer 'friend', doesnt planning expire after two years if not started?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Thanks for all the info guys! We've got another week to go before the deadline for submissions expires, and now I've got a few ideas as to what basis we can object. Is it possible, and if so, a good idea, to submit an objection as a group rather than as a lot of individuals?

KatieK wrote:
    You can also object on the basis of a right to light, if the new building will overshadow existing ones. You dont have a right to a view, but you do have a right to light.

Also Lex, with regard to your developer 'friend', doesnt planning expire after two years if not started?
    I'm not sure if you can object totally on your right to light...anyway, if you live 4 doors away, it's probably not affecting you.

Not sure about the length of time he has to build...hopefully it will expire and he forgets about it.
    daymobrew wrote:
    AFAIK only those who lodged an objection with the council can object to An Bord Planala
    ya, you're right there, but the 4 of us chipped in for the one objection to an Bord P.

Alun wrote:
    Is it possible, and if so, a good idea, to submit an objection as a group rather than as a lot of individuals?
    I'd submit individually at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Doper Than U

We have an almost identical problem to you at the moment. I live in a red brick estate, with a quite traditional type of house. At the entrance to our estate (thus visible from the main road) they sold one these houses, and the buyer decided to build a big square, modern, white "house". It's so out of keeping with the rest of the estate it's not even funny, and pretty much all the residents object to it. We even got our local Counsellor in on the act (actually, he came in of his own accord, and fair play to him... he might just get my vote next year).
    His objections were :

(i) The proposed widening of access and increased traffic exiting the site, so close to the main junction at XXX estate would pose a traffic hazard.
    (ii)There is a question mark over the accuracy of the drawing (he expands on this, doubt it's applicable to you)
    (iii) The incompatibiity of the design, structure and finish with that of all the existing properties in XXX estate, which are red brick, normal inverted v roof design and leaded windows.
    (iv) The incorporation of a bacony in the proposed structure would lead to overlooking of the houses at X (insert number of house here) and (XY).

He also goes on about how inconsistent and incompatible it would be with the existing development, and it would have a detrimental visual impact and the built environment and character of the area. He says it would seriously injure the amenities of the area and of property in the vicinity.

Also, he believes that the development proposed is incompatible with the Provisions of the County Development Plan guidelines on density/scale and that the development cannot be absorbed into the physical context of adjoining properties (3.3.1).

He finished by saying that he suggests the proposed development would be contrary to the proper planning and sustainable development of the area.

Hope that helps with some of the possible objections. It's worth noting that around us there will be considerable development (of some 1000 or more houses) in the next few years, and so preservation of the existing buildings/environment is important, if you have a similar situation then that could be mentioned. Also, just ring the planning office and ask for advice on how to lodge an objection.. they don't give a c**p either way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

You can't object on the "light" issue - no-one has a right to light. You can object on privacy grounds if you are going to be overlooked though. But all they have to do is build a huge wall (like the side of a house) with no windows. Wouldn't fancy staring at theat for the next 50 years...

Advertisement