Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worktop

• 09-02-2005 11:10am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads
    We are looking at putting in a "buttermilk" colored kitchen.
    Now I have seen timber worktops that look the buisness.

Now I have not looked into what is the best or even IF we should go with timber.

Now would we be better off with granite, or if we do go with the timber what is recommened.

Can you get a formica worktop that looks like wood???

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

yop wrote:
    Can you get a formica worktop that looks like wood???
    If you mean the standard laminate worktop that looks like wood, then yes you can. B&Q and MFI defo have it, can't remember Cash and Carry as we're probably going for a granite look one (money too tight for the real thing).

My cousin in the midlands has the MFI oak one, and a dresser made out of same cabinets with a length of solid oak worktop. You wouldn't tell the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mickot

For what its worth I have cherry worktops which you can get from Woodworkers in Ranelagh among other places I suppose. I also got a table made from two lengths of worktop side by side.
    Even now, only two years later there are a few deep dents in the wood, just from regular wear and tear, and I think if the table or worktop were made of laminate there would be a hole here down to the board and it would be very noticeable.
    We oil both table and worktop every so often, but they are pretty good at surviving the rough and tumble of our household with spillages and dropped cutlery etc. We do take a bit of care not to put hot things directly onto them
    -micko

mickot wrote:
    I think if the table or worktop were made of laminate there would be a hole here down to the board and it would be very noticeable.
    Not sure I would agree with that. I've never seen a laminate worktop noticably damaged from normal wear and tear.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

A friend of mine has a beech block worktop -very nice.
    it's like small blocks of beech timber --all facing up so as not to wear easy - and it looks fine.
    it is solid timber -- and would last a long time.

ring Noyeks
    http://www.noyeksnewmans.com/index.html

they will have beech block counter top

not cheap but a lovely finish

Yop, Ikea do solid timber worktops and timber laminate worktops, if that's an option. They're on the ikea website.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Cheers Macy & Karl will have a look

Advertisement