Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rick Clark Kata Application Seminars

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

As for my experience with PP's.

The dude focused a lot on sore points to press on the forearm with your index finger and thumb as far as I recall. It seemed impressive at the time, before I'd any concept of Aliveness. These "release points" haven't helped me out whilst hand fighting in the clinch, however.

He also mentioned PP around the knee and then kicked people there! Seems cool when someones standing still. But I've never had that effect when I've teeped someone in the knee while sparring.

Paul,

A bunch of us will be running amok in Cork on the weekend of May 28th. Maybe that Sunday morn we could meet up and play around with these ideas. Wotcha say?

Peace and Love Y'All,
    Colm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭pma-ire

As for my experience with PP's.

The dude focused a lot on sore points to press on the forearm with your index finger and thumb as far as I recall. It seemed impressive at the time,
    He never showed active striking then? Many don't due to the format of these sems. They are wanting folk to learn position before trying to strike.
    before I'd any concept of Aliveness. These "release points" haven't helped me out whilst hand fighting in the clinch, however.
    Not being a pr*ck here, but did you try to do it? Or is it that you just had'int noticed anything happening even by accident?
    He also mentioned PP around the knee and then kicked people there! Seems cool when someones standing still. But I've never had that effect when I've teeped someone in the knee while sparring.
    The Knee itself is not the place to be hitting unless you are trying to break it.
    Paul,

A bunch of us will be running amok in Cork on the weekend of May 28th.
    I'll let the cops know! :D
    Maybe that Sunday morn we could meet up and play around with these ideas. Wotcha say?
    Crazy! Try and get a boards meet in Cork then! I'm more interested in training with you lads! As I just don't have the free time away from my family to get to more sessions with Liam. Musashi, Memphis,Tim_Murphy and rest of the munster (sorry I can't think of all the names and spellings of your nicknames) area want to try to get along?

One thing though is that they will be limited for you lads to be trying to use in fights as the gloves dull your striking tools. But you could have success with elbows,knees and feet? I don't know? It would be up to you how you fit it in??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

Thanks Paul, will have a scan thru those pics again later, see if I can spot you.

The weekend of the 28th May is out for me, as we have a Club Competition here in Cashel, Co. Tipperary that weekend. Expecting to have about 150+ at it. be a few clubs from Cork attending too!

Paul, perhaps you could get in contact with Mr O'Brien and organise a bit of a friendly get together of each club for a bit of a spar. Really not up to me to say we can or can't!

Is that ye two in iamge 85EA9C7ABBB11D9? Paul were you the guy on the left with black dobok? and Musashi beside you?

memphis wrote:
    Is that ye two in iamge 85EA9C7ABBB11D9? Paul were you the guy on the left with black dobok? and Musashi beside you?

Ya I'm the bald guy on the left and thats Musashi in the Judo Gi (hope he don't mind me giving away his secret identity :eek: )

memphis wrote:
    The weekend of the 28th May is out for me,
    Looks like it will be for me now also!

Colm,

Have been talking to the Mrs. about getting time to meet up with you lads that weekend and she has that weekend earmarked for the christening?? I had thought it was gonna be in June? But she's just changed it today! I'm always the last to know :(
    memphis wrote:
    as we have a Club Competition here in Cashel, Co. Tipperary that weekend. Expecting to have about 150+ at it. be a few clubs from Cork attending too!
    Good luck with that ;)
    memphis wrote:
    Paul, perhaps you could get in contact with Mr O'Brien and organise a bit of a friendly get together of each club for a bit of a spar. Really not up to me to say we can or can't!
    My school members are all only begginers, and I don't like foalk going into comps unless they have some good sparring time done. But at sometime in the future???

I would like to hook up a bit with Ruari! I've sent him an email. But he has'int got back to me yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Musashi

Got me Adidas Kicks cause that's how we roll Dawg! Big Dane gonna hook you up and pimp yo Gi.....................or something??
    I is back after a 36 hour straight stint of moving all of mine and herselfs shizzle into our new house! :D
    Small boy (No.1 son) has his own room so only fair I got my PC room and a shed area out back for weights and Bag.Maybe if I get back to cardio as well I won't be such a bloater! But a Judo Gi adds like 90 lbs.! Honest!!
    As for the sekrit identity, I know there are no pics of me in my assault thong so we are good!

Sorry to blow yer cover there guys. Now have a face to the name.

memphis wrote:
    Sorry to blow yer cover there guys. Now have a face to the name.

It's alright! We'll send the ninja's around to sort you out :p

(Ruairi mailed me BTW, he is having problem with his out server)

• Advertisement

pma-ire wrote:
    It's alright! We'll send the ninja's around to sort you out :p

(Ruairi mailed me BTW, he is having problem with his out server)
    /bolts up he's door, and boards up the windows.

Now ye'll never get me, ha ha!!!

Going by the pics you had some fun on the 13th with Mr O'Brien, few there of you taking his down with a simple wrist lock, incidentially he showed us that in class the other day, very effective.

Added- By the way, Paul, most od our students in Cashel are junior level, the the highest grade going for her Blue belt.... apart from Amy that is, who is going for her Red. Only a small few adults too, the majority of the group are under 18..... oldest member is 40.

memphis wrote:
    /bolts up he's door, and boards up the windows.

Now ye'll never get me, ha ha!!!

Going by the pics you had some fun on the 13th with Mr O'Brien, few there of you taking his down with a simple wrist lock, incidentially he showed us that in class the other day, very effective.

Added- By the way, Paul, most od our students in Cashel are junior level, the the highest grade going for her Blue belt.... apart from Amy that is, who is going for her Red. Only a small few adults too, the majority of the group are under 18..... oldest member is 40.

As this was drifting off topic I've PM'd you ;)

Not being a pr*ck here, but did you try to do it? Or is it that you just had'int noticed anything happening even by accident?

Spending any length of time trying to squeeze or push a PP on the wrist has led to me getting armdraged on a 2-on-1 fairly quickly. That's even if my partners hand would stay around my wrist for any length of time.

Colm

Spending any length of time trying to squeeze or push a PP on the wrist has led to me getting armdraged on a 2-on-1 fairly quickly. That's even if my partners hand would stay around my wrist for any length of time.

Colm

That will happen to you try to squeeze or push a PP in combat (Alive) situation. Working them into the strikes and blocking motions you use is the best way to get a reaction to these.

It's OK to push, squeeze and rub when learning location. But that is all !!

pma-ire wrote:
    It's OK to push, squeeze and rub when learning location. But that is all !!

Hence all the bruises on Mr O'Brien's wrist and elbow, after the seminar? The bruises looked kinda nasty too. So I guess ye were actually tryin to hurt each other? LOL

Oh, sorry if I drifted off topic..... Blame Paul! He's the naughty one.... honest!
    So, back to basic then so.

memphis wrote:
    Hence all the bruises on Mr O'Brien's wrist and elbow, after the seminar? The bruises looked kinda nasty too. So I guess ye were actually tryin to hurt each other? LOL
    He got all his bruises from his Stephen his partner on the tuesday night. That only happens when you try to hard. Some of my points are sore but no marks on me :D
    memphis wrote:
    Oh, sorry if I drifted off topic..... Blame Paul! He's the naughty one.... honest!
    So, back to basic then so.
    Some day you may find out just how naughty I really am :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 mattsylvester

Roper wrote:
    The Thai kick that gives you a dead leg isn't a great example of a pressure point IMO, at least for this argument as the Thai kick isn't a rub, nor a touch it's irresistable force! By your rationale, the deadener we would all give each other in school is a pressure point too.

This is the whole problem with PP debates. All the quacks and frauds out there keep going on about rubs, touches etc being the be all and end all. That and 'no touch'.

We start off using rubs and touches to get used to finding and to see what sort of reaction you can get with just a little force and then move to hits and the use of irresistable force.

Ever do brain teasers where you get a kid and press your knuckles in on his temples? Or stick your thumbs behind his ears?

Did that all the time as a kid and yes, kids are hitting pressure points. They just call them by another name.

As Paul keeps saying, we aim to beat the **** out of people. If we can hit pressure points and get them to work great, if not fine, the punch is still going to hurt them.

This is the whole problem with PP debates. All the quacks and frauds out there keep going on about rubs, touches etc being the be all and end all. That and 'no touch'.

We start off using rubs and touches to get used to finding and to see what sort of reaction you can get with just a little force and then move to hits and the use of irresistable force.

Ever do brain teasers where you get a kid and press your knuckles in on his temples? Or stick your thumbs behind his ears?

Did that all the time as a kid and yes, kids are hitting pressure points. They just call them by another name.

As Paul keeps saying, we aim to beat the **** out of people. If we can hit pressure points and get them to work great, if not fine, the punch is still going to hurt them.

Reading that doesn't convince me of the effectiveness of PP's. If any area that is pressured/hit/squeezed/rubbed/noogied and produces any sort of vague painful effect can be called a PP, then the entire body is a PP.

Colm

Reading that doesn't convince me of the effectiveness of PP's. If any area that is pressured/hit/squeezed/rubbed/noogied and produces any sort of vague painful effect can be called a PP, then the entire body is a PP.

Colm

Who said it was??

Here have a look at this site

http://www.yinyanghouse.com/acupoints.html

It's a TCM site. But the charts are great. Pay no attention to the energy flow and the other stuff. Just open a few of the charts and see where some points are located.

Not all of the points listed would be used by martial artists. That all depends on what you find to work best for you in your delivery system!

BTW, We use the reference to the points like GB20, ST17, SP6 etc as an easy way for people to find the location of the area we are talking about. Not that we are claming to affect the wellbeing of the person down the road after getting hit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Musashi

I think the point is that the whole body is a PP so you may as well twat the ones you know!
    They hurt,but so does a busted snot!

Rick will be back in Ireland and the UK around November this year.

If anyone is interested in hosting him for a seminar please contact me by the many messengers I have on the left, or email me through the link in my sig.

:D

• Advertisement

pma-ire wrote:
    Rick will be back in Ireland and the UK around November this year.

If anyone is interested in hosting him for a seminar please contact me by the many messengers I have on the left, or email me through the link in my sig.

:D

It will now be early October due to a busy end of year for Rick.

Advertisement