Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disgusted with maself, beaten by tight weak

Options
  • 09-02-2005 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

Played a 4 man heads up on Stars last night. My "semi" I won fairly early against a quite good player, couple of big hands luckily went in my favour, giving me the win.

Anyway, waited and watched the other two playing their game. It was literally the worst game of poker I've ever seen, heads up. Both players were tight weak. SB, BB, call, check. Flop. Check, Check. Turn. Check, Check. River. Check, Bet, Fold. Or similar variants. Literally sat watching this for 45 mins, before a victor finally emerged.

I was confident going into the final. But my Lord did he grind me to a defeat. For about the first 10 hands, the pattern was either small raise from me and he folds, if he calls i bet the flop and win, if i call the BB and bet the flop he folds. Brutal stuff. Gruesome. I got aces, just called his BB. Flopped a set. Checked it. Turn a blank, checked again. Please bet into me. River an ace, i min bet and he folds. Aggh!

So after half an hour of this drivel i'm up about a thousand (start with 3K.)

Anyway, to cut a long story short i know he only bets with teh best of it. So what do I do? I try check raising him a couple of times when he comes out firing. Brain telling me not to, hands not obeying. Suddenly i'm behind. Dunno how. I've blanked out. I can't remember. I'm asleep I think.

Anyway, ended up losing my 99, to his K5, floppin a set of 5's! I have never felt so bad after poker. I couldn't believe I lost to him, possibly the worst performance I've ever put up. time to retire.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

So how much did you lose money wise? I don't speak poker.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

FX Meister wrote:
    So how much did you lose money wise? I don't speak poker.
    Well it's not really the money. As it happens it was a $10 buy in, with $40 going to the winner, but that's not the point. The point is my utter disgust and contempt for myself and my display.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

OK I could be wrong on this but, if he was folding at the flop he's playing too tight to chance not having a hand, and when he reaches the river if he doesn't have one he'll definately fold. Might be worth chancing a min bet on the turn.

If you do it on the turn he might be more likely to pay a small amount to see if he can hit a draw card. Too early (flop), and it's chancey as it could go either way. Too late (river) and he already knows he doesn't have a hand so throws it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Shortstack

Patience is the key here. Tight weak players should be your bread and butter when playing heads up. It is boring to play them and the temptation to get over elaborate through sheer frustration is huge. But learning to grind them away is a must if you wish to profit long term at HU. Small frequent bets will wear him away, especially when the blinds start to rise. When you are winning 3 small pots to his one then it won't take long to take his money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

There's a few schools of thought on heads up play, aggressive and push hard whenever you think you have an edge, plenty of bluffing. The object being to steal blinds and pots when you can and get a call when you have a strong hand, and avoiding calls when you're stealing.

The other one is to bide your time, wait for good hands and then get paid when your opponent makes a mistake and bet/bluffs at the wrong time.
    One thing about this way of doing it is that your opponent can often get frustrated and bored by a lack of progress and then makes mistakes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Ian147100

I just read your story in complete amazement, how can you care so much and what makes you think that others will care? It's a 'mickey mouse' online one table tournament, even if you win it you're only getting an hourly rate of about $5. I don't know you but from the sounds of things you haven't had sex in about 4 years, you need to lay off the internet poker for a while.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Ian. Helpful comments like that will surely put us all on the straight and narrow. Shortstack has it right here. It's an excercise in patience. To avoid getting frustrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Ian147100 wrote:
    I just read your story in complete amazement, how can you care so much and what makes you think that others will care? It's a 'mickey mouse' online one table tournament, even if you win it you're only getting an hourly rate of about $5. I don't know you but from the sounds of things you haven't had sex in about 4 years, you need to lay off the internet poker for a while.
    Why bother reply if this is all you can come up with? I enjoyed reading his post and the replies, this is a poker forum you know...

Shortstack wrote:
    Patience is the key here. Tight weak players should be your bread and butter when playing heads up. It is boring to play them and the temptation to get over elaborate through sheer frustration is huge. But learning to grind them away is a must if you wish to profit long term at HU. Small frequent bets will wear him away, especially when the blinds start to rise. When you are winning 3 small pots to his one then it won't take long to take his money.
    Exactly. This I know, and this is what bugs me the most, is the fact that I totally lost my patience, and my hands didn't listen to ma head! It was extremely frustrating, as I had been slowly and ridiculously boringly grinding him down!

Ian147100 wrote:
    Lol. I sound like I haven't had sex eh? Well my post must really have irritated you to go on the attack like that. You're right, you don't know me. In fact you know nothing about me. If you read through posts on this forum, you'll see many ppl post up when they make mistakes, I posted this up out of sheer frustration. But thanks for your helpful comments. Some day perhaps I will be as cool and enlightened as thou art, and I pray that day shall come soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Some day perhaps I will be as cool and enlightened as thou art, and I pray that day shall come soon.

come on Dirkey aim for realistic targets, that's way beyond your reach you no chance internet geek loser ;)

I may have been a bit harsh above but I only tell you the truth because we're friends :D

and no, posting on this forum doesn't mean that I'm also a no chance internet geek loser in any way, shape or form....it has been a long time though.....

Advertisement