Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hot gpu

Options
  • 09-02-2005 11:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

when i run the artifact test in ati tool my gpu reaches 81-82c at default core and memory(520/560) this cant be good can it.I,ve a radeon x800xt pe any help with this would be appreciated thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

Did you check for any loose screws before installing the card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

I'm afraid the stock cooling for those card are really crap. It will get hotter and hotter. Mine went up to 95C under load so I had to put on better cooling for it. I'd be careful if I were you, you may damage the core or memory if you allow it to run hot.

Nice sig Tact ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭dixsey

TacT wrote:
    Did you check for any loose screws before installing the card?
    yes it looked ok i,ve just ordered the coolermaster coolviva vga cooler so hopefully that should sort it out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

dixsey wrote:
    when i run the artifact test in ati tool my gpu reaches 81-82c at default core and memory(520/560) this cant be good can it.I,ve a radeon x800xt pe any help with this would be appreciated thanks.

Thats very high, those temps would probably damage the core pretty soon. good to hear your getting better cooling. The stock cooling on the new ati's is teriblle, they should never have been allowed to bring it out that bad

gline wrote:
    Thats very high, those temps would probably damage the core pretty soon. good to hear your getting better cooling. The stock cooling on the new ati's is teriblle, they should never have been allowed to bring it out that bad
    I just installed the coolviva from coolermaster and its running at 60c to 65c under load,tried a bit of overclocking on it and although the temp is low it still wont go beyond about 540mhz or 550mhz any idea,s.Thanks.

• Advertisement

Mybe you need to do the pencil mod to up the voltage

gline wrote:
    Mybe you need to do the pencil mod to up the voltage
    Is that how you got 582mhz out of your x800 pro?and if so is it hard to do or dangerous.

dixsey wrote:
    Is that how you got 582mhz out of your x800 pro?and if so is it hard to do or dangerous.

it is easy to do, it is possibly dangerous, could burn out the card, seems fine for now. If you only up the voltage a very small bit its fine

Here's a link if you want to read up on the mod dixsey

http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/voltmods/101

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

What about x800 pros? Do they have **** stock cooling? I have an alienware pc and the video cooling i have is called AlienIce. anyone nkow if thats any good? I imagine its not very well known as its only in alienware machines. While we're on the subject, I'm a bit of a noob now, but how do you overclock your graphics card?

• Advertisement

I usually use Radlinker and ATI Tools to overclock.

neokenzo wrote:

Cheers neokenzo

neokenzo wrote:

Yeh cool man , good article

Anyone knows where to get a multimeter in Dublin? Maplin?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Yeah, Maplin are the best for that sort of stuff. Does it need to be very good? (ie. very, very exact)

I dont expect to get the best or very very good but as long as it does the business, should be fine.

i got one in maplins, bout 20euro, pretty good 1, they are the cheapest for that kind of thing i think

Advertisement