Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart employee happy to answer questions on bb rollout

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

hmmm wrote:
    Personally I couldn't care less about upload speed, it's effing annoying when threads on these forums get hijacked by nitpicking. So there.

I'm disappointed however to see that you are bundling voice and data as an inclusive package. Personally I would like to see an unbundled broadband only package available (I appreciate at a higher cost). I'm not alone in wanting to get rid of a landline and use the mobile for voice exclusively.

Why would you want a bb only package availabe at a higher cost? and you dont have to have your phone connected if you dont want calls that way...........

Its not a good start that you cannot download the Terms and Conditions without a password!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It's not nitpicking to request 256 upload. For anyone working from home, being able to upload / use a VPN, this is essential. I pay the NTL €50 for the upload speed. Then again, not being a gamer, I don't care about ping times, whereas others feel this is probably the most important factor.

Also, I am impressed how Smart have taken this opportunity to talk directly to us potential users instead of relying solely on us ringing up ignorant biddies.

If only you could get Kathryn Thomas for your ads now... mmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭GarfieldConnoll

plazzTT wrote:

What does the "fibre footprint" in Cork look like?

It is the Government's MAN (Metropolitan Area Network) infrastructure. You might find more details on www.dcmnr.ie

We've been utilising the Cork MAN for over a year now. We use it to address enterprise customers. With the installation of the DSLAMs into the eircom exchanges, we'll use the same infrastructure to provide service to you over unbundled copper.

Hope this helps.

Garfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Garfield, when is Smart broadband going to be available in Clondalkin(Dublin 22), I entered my number, and it didn't even give me a date, maybe you know it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

will Smart Broadband come to Dunshaughlin in county Meath? there is currently no plan when i put in my number. I heard that the MAN project will be in Dunshaughlin.

CyberGhost wrote:
    Garfield, when is Smart broadband going to be available in Clondalkin(Dublin 22), I entered my number, and it didn't even give me a date, maybe you know it?

CyberGhost,

PM me your number and I'll have a look.

Garfield.

Gonzo wrote:
    will Smart Broadband come to Dunshaughlin in county Meath? there is currently no plan when i put in my number. I heard that the MAN project will be in Dunshaughlin.

Gonzo,

If there will be a MAN in Dunshaughlin and we can get national backhaul back to our core network AND if the MAN is built close the eircom exchange (and I'm not sure which exchange that is) then a qualified 'Yes'.

No date at present though.

If that's a bit vague, sorry. I'm not trying to fudge the issue.

Garfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭r0chf0rt

Just wondering if you dont have a phone line connected in the house at the moment can you still sign up to smart telecom for the broadband offer ? I checked with the old number that was in the house and it said its going to be enabled in June/July. If I wanted to avail of the offer would I need to get the phone line reconnected now ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭digitalninja

If only you could get Kathryn Thomas for your ads now... mmm.

My friend was just chosen as the guy who's gonna be in their ad for broadband.
    And that Irish Magician dude is in it too...

• Advertisement

Any chance of a seperate 'When will Smart be available in........' thread.

Tenshot wrote:
    Thanks for taking the time to post Garfield.

I currently have an ISDN line, which I need to keep for legacy reasons.

I think I'm on safe ground guessing Smart won't be offering an Annex B product compatible with ADSL (though feel free to prove me wrong!) so I'll need to get in a separate POTS line for broadband.

Can I order this directly from Smart, or do I need to order it from Eircom (with associated installation fees etc), then immediately cancel it so I can transfer to Smart? Is there a cleaner way to do this?
    Tenshot,
    You can order the line through us, but as we'd have to order through eircom (fair enough), the same charges would apply. Standard caveats apply regarding the suitability of the new lines to support DSL (albeint ADSL2+).

No on the Annex B, for now at any rate.
    Tenshot wrote:
    Also, is there a minimum contract period for Smart's broadband offering?
    Yes. Twelve months.

Garfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

dub45 wrote:
    Any chance of a seperate 'When will Smart be available in........' thread.

wouldn't it be better for the people to either call their hotline or PM Garfield instead for this?

My friend was just chosen as the guy who's gonna be in their ad for broadband.
    And that Irish Magician dude is in it too...

We definitely need a new prominent thread nay forum for 'My friend is in the Smart Ad'' posts!!!. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Just two questions:

1. I have DSL already (from Digiweb) I take it this means my line will definitely be suitable for your product (Whitehall exchange)?

2. I presume the terms and conditions in the box on your website are the same ones that can't be downloaded (a box looking for a username and password pops up when I click on the link)?

Great to see an ISP taking an interest

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭lynchie

CyberGhost wrote:

It is available in Clondalkin, on the Nangor Road exchange, but I guess your number is a 459/464 number which is probably the newlands cross exchange.

Gilgamesh wrote:
    wouldn't it be better for the people to either call their hotline or PM Garfield instead for this?
    I would support a new thread rather than getting PM'd. Otherwise there will be a lot of repetition.
    I'll try and get the rollout uploaded into this forum (or the new one).
    www.smarttelecom.ie should help most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

Garfield,
    two previous postersa already said that nothing can be found on smart's web site regarding the rollout. Please point us to the right llink or post the dates here. I too can saythat I wasnt able to find the rollout dates.

Another thing, I registered with smart broadband yesterday and was "told" by your web site that I would be contacted when the service is available. Does this put me in the 100K or not?

Any idea when Castleknock will be available (01 815****)? I already have BB with UTV.
    Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭PaulMcG

Phase 1: Dublin.
    Phase 2: Cork, Galway, Letterkenny, Limerick, Waterford.
    Phase 3: Arklow, Athlone, Ballina, Carlow, CK-on-Shannon, Dundalk, Ennis, Kilkenny, Mallow, Mullingar, Naas, Portlaoise, Shannon, Sligo, Thurles, Tullamore, Tralee, Wexford.
    Phase 4: will be based on the Irish Government's future MAN rollout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

Just as a matter of interest, what actual chance has someone got to get this service if his line is consisently failing the eircom test, but it did pass just once

Shin

• Advertisement

PaulMcG wrote:
    Phase 1: Dublin.
    Phase 2: Cork, Galway, Letterkenny, Limerick, Waterford.
    Phase 3: Arklow, Athlone, Ballina, Carlow, CK-on-Shannon, Dundalk, Ennis, Kilkenny, Mallow, Mullingar, Naas, Portlaoise, Shannon, Sligo, Thurles, Tullamore, Tralee, Wexford.
    Phase 4: will be based on the Irish Government's future MAN rollout.
    Thanks Paul!
    I'll confirm that. I hope to release the individual exchanges to the list today or tomorrow.
    Where did you get the list Paul? Just curious.

Garfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Thanks Paul!
    I'll confirm that. I hope to release the individual exchanges to the list today or tomorrow.
    Where did you get the list Paul? Just curious.

Garfield.

You are taking the pi$$, right?

He got it here http://www.smarttelecom.ie/news/press/2005/200502-07.htm

jbkenn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭Jaoibh

shinzon wrote:
    Just as a matter of interest, what actual chance has someone got to get this service if his line is consisently failing the eircom test, but it did pass just once

Shin

Hey Shin

You probably didnt notice it but he answered this question yesterday because its a different type of dsl technology it goes further than 5.4km's so you have a higher chance of passing the test..

Jaoibh

jbkenn wrote:
    You are taking the pi$$, right?

He got it here http://www.smarttelecom.ie/news/press/2005/200502-07.htm

jbkenn
    Hi,

I wasn't. I hadn't looked at the press release.

Garfield.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

A list of those Dublin exchnage and of the key codes on them ...IElike Darndale 01497 would be a great help.

If one ain't on that list you can pursue other options rather than wait till next year .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Throwing my hat in for 256k upload speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

Jaoibh wrote:
    Hey Shin

You probably didnt notice it but he answered this question yesterday because its a different type of dsl technology it goes further than 5.4km's so you have a higher chance of passing the test..

Jaoibh

ah hadnt noticed that cheers

shin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

Hi Garfield,
    Any date for the DOUGLAS (DGSA) exchange in Cork? It is a fairly big exchange I'm suprised there's no date yet.
    Good to see you on boards
    center15

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

I supose the sooner Garfield posts the list of exchanges, we can get down to asking more precise questions.

Garfield, is it true that one can avail of being one of the 100K happy ones only and only if we fillin the direct debit forms (even though the service isn't available yet in most areas)?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

regedit wrote:
    Garfield, is it true that one can avail of being one of the 100K happy ones only and only if we fillin the direct debit forms (even though the service isn't available yet in most areas)?

I would also like to know the answer to this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement